Police parading of suspects to press banned after high-profile controversies

rooster59

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

In Thailand? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

The police here do not investigate. They take details of the alleged crime, make an arrest, and pass it off to the prosecutor to decide if there is a case.

You can have a thousand witnesses proving you were somewhere else, but the same process will still occur, and you will still be arrested and need to make bail.

The police do not see it as their job to check anything. It is up to the court to hear the evidence, and that is when you can bring in your alibi, not before.

This is why the legal system is so overburdened. Cases that with 2 hours police work could be thrown out as spurious clog up the courts.

And coming back to the speculation, it should be clear by now, the police statement of facts, is essentially little more than reading out the allegation, though they have always seemed incapable of not spicing it up a bit, and not mentioning anything the defendant has said by way of denial.

Right over, but thanks for the lengthy interpretation

10 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Courts should decide innocence ore guilt

Well, for those rare cases which go to "trial", decisions on guilt are made by a judge (or multiple judges).

Best train some ju>>es then to do the job

22 hours ago, Smiley Face said:

Translation:

"Perp walks not allowed if they embarrass or question our esteemed leaders and officials.  All others are encouraged.  Carry on."

Giving terrorists, who have been arrested and hence acquired some infamy, a platform to preach and potentially incite more terrorism and also compromise the legal case against them  is astoundingly stupid.

Can we have some fairness here ?

The Prime Minister has obviously been concerned about this practice of the Thai police force for some time. as have many posters on this forum.

The fact that the latest example of this practise, chose and was able to articulate his grievances , should not in any way distract from the sincerity of the PM's desire to reform the current system.

21 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

What I find really disturbing is that convicted criminals who have been sentenced to death for crimes like murder are in some cases actually given bail !!!

I think what is more disturbing is that they have been released from jail before serving in some cases only a relatively small portion of their sentences

There have been a number of cases in the last year or so including repeat rapist offenders

4 hours ago, roamer said:

Can we have some fairness here ?

The Prime Minister has obviously been concerned about this practice of the Thai police force for some time. as have many posters on this forum.

The fact that the latest example of this practise, chose and was able to articulate his grievances , should not in any way distract from the sincerity of the PM's desire to reform the current system.

Fairness? Desire DOES NOT equate to action!

I ask myself, "Is the PM sincere in reforming the RTP?" And my answer is "No". He has had plenty of time.

Good for the General.
Government makes Laws, Police see to it that the Law is not broken, when necessary collect proof and apprehends suspects, Judges decide on Guilt. 
Stop the invasion of privacy, creating embarrassment, influence press, public and Court officials, and possibly legally becoming liable for defamation of people shown at press conferences without a Court of Law having given a guilty verdict.
Better to focus on catching people where proof is sufficient to bring them to court with a high chance of getting convictions, and on resolving crimes where proof is hidden behind smoke and mirrors.

The is parading the culprits in a circus style high school photo with golden and silver wings all around....making it a bit less of a photo snap circus would definately give extra credibility with just a press article.

No need to add  pictures and the boys with their medals behind the suspects...makes it a bit clownish....good move from the PM to stop such practice.

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:29 AM, mtls2005 said:

Just to be clear here, it was the bomber's criticism of Prayut, primarily for his part in murdering ~ 79 Thais (51 still "unaccounted for")in the in-famous 2010 "crack-down", which has set the PM off in a tizzy on this subject.

The fact that national police honcho chakthip appeared friendly with the bomber did cause some concern.

Please elaborate .........

As a US lawyer I just cringe at this. It's karma that it has started to backfire in the government's face. The presumption of innocence is central to any system that wants to call itself democratic. I know it doesn't exist in Thailand but it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

24 minutes ago, bill59 said:

As a US lawyer I just cringe at this. It's karma that it has started to backfire in the government's face. The presumption of innocence is central to any system that wants to call itself democratic. I know it doesn't exist in Thailand but it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"The presumption of innocence is central to any system that wants to call itself democratic."  

In my democratic country, under some laws you ARE deemed guilty unless you can prove your innocence (I refer particularly to traffic/motoring offences). :sad:

On 6/24/2017 at 1:29 AM, mtls2005 said:

Chakthip, who was present at Wattana’s press conference, was criticised for appearing to be very close to Wattana. Photos of Wattana whispering with Chakthip were published in the media along with his criticism of Prayut.

Just to be clear here, it was the bomber's criticism of Prayut, primarily for his part in murdering ~ 79 Thais (51 still "unaccounted for")in the in-famous 2010 "crack-down", which has set the PM off in a tizzy on this subject.

The fact that national police honcho chakthip appeared friendly with the bomber did cause some concern.

The goal is to both shame the accused, and make the police look good, but it often backfires, and makes the police look silly. 

impossible..they cannot  look any sillier than they are