Actor Johnny Depp apologised for 'poor taste' Trump assassination joke

rooster59

On 6/24/2017 at 1:57 PM, Jingthing said:

Well, that's over the top, but Hollywood people just like any citizen have every right to express political opinions.

If their celebrity amplifies their opinion for some people, so be it. Obviously not in your case but somehow I suspect if a celebrity expressed YOUR opinion you would be OK with that.

In Depp's case, I think it really was an attempt at humor. 

Some right wing Fox News types are suggesting he should be prosecuted. For what? Making a bad joke? I hope we're not there yet as a nation. 

Oh Wow! Did you just scold me Mother?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, KenKadz said:

Its all Mind over Matter,,,, I don't Mind so You don't Matter!

Interesting.

Your recent rant strongly indicated that you mind VERY MUCH when Hollywood celebs express political opinions. Of course, you didn't specify whether you mind it if they express opinions that you AGREE with.

Personally I'm totally OK with celebs expressing political opinions of all kinds, whether I agree with them or not.

As far as Depp's attempted humor about trump, like I said before, that was very stupid because it only serves to give ammunition to the trumpists. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I'm sure your boycott will cause a "torrent" of panic among them.

Even worse, if he'll boycott them, they might take up political activism instead. Counterproductive.

Well, that's over the top, but Hollywood people just like any citizen have every right to express political opinions.

But why would the political opinion of a movie star be valued higher than the on from rubbish collector?

In Depp's case, I think it really was an attempt at humor. 

Some right wing Fox News types are suggesting he should be prosecuted. For what? Making a bad joke?

But if it had been the other way around you would of course have been on your soap box and calling for impeachment.

But if it had been the other way around you would of course have been on your soap box and calling for impeachment.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Impeachment of who?

As far as violent trash talkers against Obama I wouldn't generally favor prosecution but in the case of sleazeball Nugent sleazeball trump actually partied with him in the white house. Disgusting hypocrisy.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
9 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Impeachment of who?

As far as violent trash talkers against Obama I wouldn't generally favor prosecution but in the case of sleazeball Nugent sleazeball trump actually partied with him in the white house. Disgusting hypocrisy.

You know very well what I'm talking about.

What if Trump had called for assassination of Depp?

By the way, from Depp's previous comments it is clear that he was serious, and only now tries to save his skin because he got too many reactions.

By the way, from Depp's previous comments it is clear that he was serious, and only now tries to save his skin because he got too many reactions.
No. I didn't know. Because what you are imagining as a hypothetical was just too bizarre.

Assassinations of actors. That's not really a thing.

The only logical equivalence is about similar stuff directed at a president that I liked. I addressed that already.

The dirt you have on Depp. What is it then? All I found were some general criticisms of the USA as a nation.

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I did a google search for any of Depp's comments previous to the assassination one, and nowhere did I find evidence to support that he was serious. But I'm sure that I missed it and you will enlighten all of us with citations of his remarks.

I mean, you wouldn't make such claims unless you had evidence to back them up.

19 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I did a google search for any of Depp's comments previous to the assassination one, and nowhere did I find evidence to support that he was serious. But I'm sure that I missed it and you will enlighten all of us with citations of his remarks.

I mean, you wouldn't make such claims unless you had evidence to back them up.

May be you should have looked better, and I'm not interested in arguments with liberal sore losers who can't hide their hatred against Trump. Bye.

https://www.google.co.th/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=depp+hates+trump&oq=depp+hates+trump&gs_l=serp.3...393175.395875.0.396288.11.11.0.0.0.0.132.1011.2j7.9.0....0...1.1.64.serp..2.4.470...0j0i22i30k1j33i160k1j33i21k1.qt3FMuMJS90

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3584614/Commander-grief-Hollywood-star-Johnny-Depp-claims-Donald-Trump-White-House-demean-office-nation-s-president.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johnny-depp-cautions-a-donald-893023

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/johnny-depp-u-s-presidency-wont-work-if-trump-elected-20160512

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/catherinedunn/2016/09/08/these-10-celebrities-say-theyll-leave-the-country-if-trump-is-elected-n2215391

http://www.newsweek.com/johnny-depp-trump-would-be-last-president-if-he-wins-us-election-459490

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/catherinedunn/2016/09/08/these-10-celebrities-say-theyll-leave-the-country-if-trump-is-elected-n2215391

Edited by janclaes47

Hating trump is not a crime.

Dude, the prisons aren't big enough. 

As far as sore losers, just because trump won, doesn't mean he's any good at being president.

Posting a bunch of links is sleazy posting behavior.

You made an accusation. Back it up with a SPECIFIC reference. Or retract. 

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yes. Johnny Trump speaks for Hollywood. You might say he's Hollywood's Sean Spicer.

No, Depp speaks for a select club of 10 Trump haters, or do you want to claim that Hollywood has only 10 actors.

10 actors that are on their way out, and mistakenly think their political opinions have any valuable background, that's correct

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hating trump is not a crime.

Dude, the prisons aren't big enough. 

As far as sore losers, just because trump won, doesn't mean he's any good at being president.

Posting a bunch of links is sleazy posting behavior.

You made an accusation. Back it up with a SPECIFIC reference. Or retract. 

I wish you would not do this dude thing. It makes you dated to about 20 years ago. No one is your "dude".

It also makes you an out spoken yank.

However, you do make a valid point. Trump for better or worse is the US president. While most  eligible voters

chose not to vote, that makes a positive vote to someone you chose to not vote against. So cop it sweet, you voted

this cretin in, accept it. The rest of the civilised world knows where US politics is now. Closely aligned to Putin.

Accept it, that surely is US democracy at its very basic level. And no, the rest of the world other than Russia

does not trust you anymore. Took a long time, we should not have trusted you after Korea War. (They like the

Vietnamese call it the American wars) US keeps on losing so many wars.

46 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

I wish you would not do this dude thing. It makes you dated to about 20 years ago. No one is your "dude".

It also makes you an out spoken yank.

However, you do make a valid point. Trump for better or worse is the US president. While most  eligible voters

chose not to vote, that makes a positive vote to someone you chose to not vote against. So cop it sweet, you voted

this cretin in, accept it. The rest of the civilised world knows where US politics is now. Closely aligned to Putin.

Accept it, that surely is US democracy at its very basic level. And no, the rest of the world other than Russia

does not trust you anymore. Took a long time, we should not have trusted you after Korea War. (They like the

Vietnamese call it the American wars) US keeps on losing so many wars.

Well, you sound extremely anti-American, dude.

As a proud American, I can't get behind that.
Depp is not someone I especially admire politically. 

I do think he has done some great acting work though. 

You can be pro-American and anti-trump. Easily. 

I totally understand and accept that trust towards the USA is degraded because trump was elected. That can't be helped. Elections have consequences. 

BTW, dude is not as dated as you seem to think. It is still in current American usage.

Edited by Jingthing

On 6/25/2017 at 2:38 PM, Jingthing said:

Interesting.

Your recent rant strongly indicated that you mind VERY MUCH when Hollywood celebs express political opinions. Of course, you didn't specify whether you mind it if they express opinions that you AGREE with.

Personally I'm totally OK with celebs expressing political opinions of all kinds, whether I agree with them or not.

As far as Depp's attempted humor about trump, like I said before, that was very stupid because it only serves to give ammunition to the trumpists. 

Ha Ha, You have to have the last word just like a Mother?

I keep baiting the hook and you keep biting.

But I am bored with this now!

8 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

Ha Ha, You have to have the last word just like a Mother?

I keep baiting the hook and you keep biting.

But I am bored with this now!

Actually, I think it's more like you having to have the last nasty word, like a troll.

And a self-confessed one at that.

Not a terribly bright move.

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Actually, I think it's more like you having to have the last nasty word, like a troll.

And a self-confessed one at that.

Not a terribly bright move.

You're right!