When Did You Forget God?

corkscrew

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like many thing in LIfe .there need not some logical reason to buy or believe ,

let say . God had been a Product of Our own needs .

But the believe base on fear . had slowly changes over time .. with more understanding .

I believe in God , and i see him every day when i shave .

If anybody's interested in exploring this issue in a slightly analytical/academic way, just buy and read an excellent book called

"The God Delusion", by Richard Dawkins, Professor for the Public Understanding of Science (some title!) at Oxford University, UK.

The book was published a few months ago in 2006 and is available through Amazon and all usual channels (probably at Asia books in TH). It will become one of the classics in this field. I read it over Christmas - couldn't put it down.

There has never been a time when I believed in god. As long as I remember I always questioned the logic of the whole concept. My earliest memory of it being an issue was around 7 years old. It was Christmas at school and my friends were talking about Jesus birthday. I wrongly assumed that everyone saw Jesus in the same way we viewed Santa Claus i.e. traditional but not real. They were all confused by my idea.

I have become a more fervent Atheist as the years have passed, as I have learnt more about religion and as I have been exposed to more and more religious crack pots.

How old were you before you realized that the concept of God was silly?

I went to a Roman Catholic boarding school...those ludicrous teachings convinced me that the concept of a God made no sence at all.

I didn't have to forget god... I knew right from the begining (conception into my mother's womb) that religion was... a non sense.

:o

Then after, in a more conscious way if I may say, I understood that religion was... a drug. A kind of opium.

A cheap one, with high effects however, necessary to billions of humans, because they are so afraid about life and death. And the idea that they are... nothing compare to the scale of universe and the number of stars.

To bare those ideas, they need religion. It's a pitty.

Personaly, I prefer a good whisky. It's far less toxic. :D

Another super book on this subject is by the late C.S. Lewis, professor at both Oxford and Cambridge. The Case for Christianity is written in a very rational, common-sense reasoning approach. The book is a compilation of Lewis' lectures broadcast by the BBC over a number of months.

In my case, "When did you forget God?" ...only in temporary moments of self-delusion when I thought I could do a better job running my own life. Fifty years of practical experience and observation has convinced me that deferring to the "Manufacturer" and His "Owner's Manual" has always worked out better in the long run.

Edited by toptuan

If anybody's interested in exploring this issue in a slightly analytical/academic way, just buy and read an excellent book called

"The God Delusion", by Richard Dawkins, Professor for the Public Understanding of Science (some title!) at Oxford University, UK.

The book was published a few months ago in 2006 and is available through Amazon and all usual channels (probably at Asia books in TH). It will become one of the classics in this field. I read it over Christmas - couldn't put it down.

I agree...it is a brilliant book. The best on the subject. Have you read Sam Harris's "Letter to a Christian Nation"?

Don't tell me all those poor suicide bombers are throwing their lives away for nothing. :o

They aren't throwing their lives away for God (or Allah), they expect that there will be 72 virgins waiting for them in Heaven after they die. However, I heard it another way...

When Osama bin Laden died, he was met at the Pearly Gates by George Washington, who slapped him across the face and yelled, "How dare you try to destroy the nation I helped conceive!"

Patrick Henry approached, punched him in the nose and shouted, "You wanted to end our liberties but you failed."

James Madison followed, kicked him in the groin and said, "This is why I allowed our government to provide for the common defense!"

Thomas Jefferson was next, beat Osama with a long cane and snarled, "It was evil men like you who inspired me to write the Declaration of Independence."

The beatings and thrashings continued as George Mason, James Monroe and 66 other early Americans unleashed their anger on the terrorist leader.

As Osama lay bleeding and in pain, an Angel appeared. Bin Laden wept and said, "This is not what you promised me."

The Angel replied, "I told you there would be 72 Virginians waiting for you in Heaven. What did you think I said?"

How old were you before you realized that the concept of God was silly?

I went to a Roman Catholic boarding school...those ludicrous teachings convinced me that the concept of a God made no sence at all.

How about you?

Dude, you have started some of the most bizarre and twisted threads I have ever seen. What is your trip anyway? Go preach to the Hebrews

Edited by columbo

In order to have forgotton God you would have to have remembered him in the first place.

I am a staunch believer in the notion that when the world grows up and stops teaching religion to children that the world will also stop beleiving in God. It's as simple as that.

The bible and Koran and any other religious story book is simply that, a collection of stories told over and over again so that people believe in them.

Many moons ago people needed to be controlled so they invented the notion of good versus bad, heaven and hel_l, re-incarnation and so forth and in it's own way the majority of people started behaving because at an early age when they where innocent to the world many young children believed what they were told and no one wants to go to hel_l so they toed the line. Many of course didn't and these folk just go on to manipulate and exploit the naive who do believe instead.

The key to all of this is to stop educating people about religion until they are old enough to have an inquisitive mind so that they can make their own choice on the matter. Simply getting children early enough is tantamount to brain washing them into thinking something exists when it doesn't.

When you go there is nothing but darkness and that's it and if you want to experience that then just switch off the light and go to sleep for the evening.

Edited by Casanundra

Incredibly I managed to pick up a copy of Sam Harris’s ‘The End of Faith’ the other day. I’m normally too tight to pay full price for books, but in this case I made an exception.

I finished Dawkins ‘The God Delusion’ last week. It was all I had expected it to be: well presented and argued with some really interesting points. I recommend all of his books, as well as those of Carl Sagan, if you want to explore the logical way of looking at religion.

I’m very pleased to find that there are like minded people in this forum.

Funny how so many of the answers here immediately talk about their opinion on religion.

I thought the question was about (your) god.

Not about the dogmatic religion that surrounds many gods.

So what say folks? Back on topic maybe?

(some have answered on topic btw)

To the OP: You are of course free to voice your opinions on this and any matter, but don't you think that it might be taken as being rude to so obviously bash the beliefs of others.

Might be akin to me asking "How old were you when you realized that Mercedes made overpriced cars for the foolish?" Some might agree, others won't and some will be slightly offended since they actually in one (or 3 in your case).

In a similar way I have invested in God (although just in the one God mind you).

Interesting thread, although a loaded question. Kayo's right, as always happens when people start to discuss God, many discuss 'religion' which is doomed to fall prey to our personal prejudices. I too was brought up RC and could make many negative comments based on personal experience.

However, regarding the op, I DO believe in God and I am an avid Bible reader - I have been for nearly 30 years. It gives me great joy and a real hope.

It seems to me from this thread and many discussions with non-believers that they use their non-belief as an excuse for doing nothing. And yet even the op shows the capacity for abstract thought which makes all of us at least contemplate the existance of God.

And finally, why are so many non-believers so 'evangelical' about their non-belief? I never force my beliefs on anyone (although I am willing to discuss them with all and sundry) Why do some non-believers force theirs on others? Some curious questons here.

Remember, a belief in God is not for everyone.

Be happy, whatever your beliefs.