Patong - The Wake

Patong2

Last night I got to Bangla just as you were leaving! The later you can visit there, the better.

I tend to use three bars in the centre of the main drag and all of them had front row seats available when I got there and so I started at Black Horse and saw that there was some sort of fracas at the entrance to Bar Funk - although I made no effort to rubber-neck (so undignified, particularly trying to film it as well) it was clearly the usual pattern of a dozen or so Thai "guards" appearing out of nowhere and dispensing their instant justice. No ambulance was called and so it must have been quite tame, but the bar girls get so excited when these (rare) punch-ups liven up their boring evenings and desperately try to get a good look.

On the subject of Bar Funk - that place really is a free show for the typical cheap charlie tourists who just want to block Bangla and ogle the dancers without spending any money. I seem to remember that, during the Sandbox time after Covid, they put plastic drapes across the front so that it effectively became an indoor venue.

I probably got home to Kamala quicker than Xylophone got to his place in Patong! A lovely relaxing ride in the warm night air.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to say I have not even been in Patong for almost 6 weeks. As for the Bistrot, you talking about that place just about all bike rentals. As I recall open about 5 years ago, never had any customers. Lot of dark skinned young 'French' guys hang out there.

On 1/28/2024 at 2:04 AM, schlog said:

Guess this is my third and last time that i move away from patong but who knows lol.

Whenever I come back to Phuket, it is strictly holiday only. It is fun for a week, but then it just starts to press on my nerves.

Maybe I am older, maybe it really is a lot less fun than a decade++ ago.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Pleased to say I have not even been in Patong for almost 6 weeks. As for the Bistrot, you talking about that place just about all bike rentals. As I recall open about 5 years ago, never had any customers. Lot of dark skinned young 'French' guys hang out there.

Well LiK you have not missed much by staying away from Patong, other than traffic jams and crazy drivers!

I think I know the place you mean, but it's not the one which has the "dark skinned young French guys" hanging out, I believe the place you mean is a little bit further north on the brow of the hill, almost near the spa place?

If you were to go south about a hundred metres or so, past the massage place on the right and then a bar of some description, then you have the restaurant "Le Bistrot", and it is just about opposite the entrance to Patong Bay Hill resort. Before that, over the past couple of years it has been a bar, then a small restaurant/café bar and then a bar with a massage place attached, all of which folded after a short period of time – – along with some poor suspecting farangs and their dreams!

Haven't heard from you in a while, so I hope you are well.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 12:57 PM, xylophone said:

restaurant in Soi Banzaan which opened a few years ago and which had a good but limited menu and a good bar area, which sported a sign of what looked like a moustachioed English gentleman with a monocle, on it (and I can't remember it's name) which has been empty now for a long time is now being worked on/demolished to make way for something else? I hope it is not another restaurant because the location is poor, with no foot traffic or parking area.

The restaurant name was "Le Drinkeria"...........now being converted into????

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 9:38 AM, xylophone said:

If you were to go south about a hundred metres or so, past the massage place on the right and then a bar of some description, then you have the restaurant "Le Bistrot", and it is just about opposite the entrance to Patong Bay Hill resort. Before that, over the past couple of years it has been a bar, then a small restaurant/café bar and then a bar with a massage place attached, all of which folded after a short period of time – – along with some poor suspecting farangs and their dreams!

On a whim after you after you mentioned it, we tried Le Bistrot last night. Impressed with the food,

Very generous portions of very nicely cooked food. Will go back.

Edited by Patong2
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

On a whim after you after you mentioned it, we tried Le Bistrot last night. Impressed with the food,

Thanks Patong2, I will have to give that a try shortly!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 1:35 PM, Patong2 said:

After your recommendation P2, I stopped by Le Bistrot to have a look at the menu and it's not huge by any standards, but has a nice range of options on it. I then looked at the wine list and their house wine is, unfortunately, a fruit wine, which I'm not partial to, so I may ask the owner if I can pay a corkage and take my own wine along??

A night of disappointments on Friday evening, which started with a visit to a restaurant called "West" in Soi Patong Tower, whereby previous visits had been enjoyable and I negotiated being able to bring my own bottle of wine along (because theirs was fruit wine) for a princely sum of 200 baht, which was okay by me.

Only this time (and I didn't find out until the bill came along) the charge was 400 baht +10% service charge, and the price of my meal had increased by about 100 baht!! I queried this with the serving guy and he just said that prices had increased everywhere, so they put their price up, or words to that effect. Now 400 baht charge for my own wine was too steep IMO, so I won't be going back to that restaurant, so they have lost my patronage plus the patronage of the other folks I introduced to it.

After leaving that restaurant my friend and I went along to another couple of bars in Bangla, but as I've mentioned before "the thrill has gone" and probably went a long time ago if I was truthful, so I don't much enjoy nights out in Bangla these days.

I decided to head for home at about 11 PM and as I was walking towards the motorbike taxi place, a group of about six burly guys in their mid-20s or thereabouts, surrounded me and got in my face, with one of them saying, "you dirty bastard, what are you doing here" with a couple of his mates chiming in with similar comments.

At the age of 76 I wasn't about to try and take any of these guys on, however I had overheard them in a bar down the road, mention to someone that they were from Nottinghamshire so I basically said to the ringleader what the "fark" are you on about? "You guys are from Nottinghamshire, so what are you playing at, as I was born in England too?".

To which he basically said they were only "playing around", but it certainly didn't feel like that although I wasn't unduly threatened, but it was uncomfortable enough. English louts is the best I can say about them.

But the worst was yet to come because I got on a motorbike taxi to go home and when we arrived at my Soi, I asked the motorbike taxi driver if his motorbike was strong enough to take me up my steep drive, mainly because my old football knee was playing up a little, to which he replied that it could. So he attempted to get up the drive with me on the back of his motorbike, but unfortunately about halfway up he lost control of it, and I did a backward somersault off the bike and was knocked out for a few minutes and I'm not quite sure what happened next, but I think maybe he picked me up and saw blood gushing out of a head wound so quickly left on his motorbike.

I don't remember walking up the remaining part of the drive or the steps to my apartment, but I do remember that the room/my head was spinning and I was in some pain from my back (pelvis area) and my head and I tried to lay down, but think I passed out for a while because I woke up three hours later with my pillow bloodied somewhat, and feeling not well at all.

I was feeling very unwell so decided to wait until a bit later when the owners of my apartments were awake to ask them if they could call me a taxi to take me to the hospital, because I was not in a good way and thought I might have fractured my skull. The owners husband decided to take me in their car and I had a CT scan of my head and an x-ray of my hips and chest and I told him to go home and I would get a taxi home, which I did, still feeling very fragile and unwell.

The outcome is that I have a couple of wounds on the back of my head, one on my heel, bruising on my shoulders and damage to my lower spine, which I have to go and see the orthopaedic surgeon about next week?

Today I went to get the dressing on my head changed and the nurse said that if this was the fault of the motorbike taxi driver, then they were insured and I should claim from him, but how do you claim from someone who decided to do a "runner" after the incident? Not to worry, I said because I had paid it anyway.

So an eventful but an unenjoyable evening, which has left me in some pain and questioning why I really need to go to Patong centre, a place I don't enjoy any more and run the risk of all sorts of unsavoury incidents.

Moving away from that, the small laundry which opened up about six months ago at the bottom of my drive has closed and somebody who knew the owner said that the woman had borrowed money all over the place and had done a runner. This being one of the small "one-room" like shops in a very small enclave, which also included a Greek restaurant which was recently sold to Russians, plus a café which wasn't doing any business at all and which was sold and bought by someone who has turned it into a coffee and cannabis café, which doesn't seem to be doing much better?

The turnover of these small "enterprises" is very high and the above would be typical of what I'm seeing around Patong these days, yet just the other day the ex-girlfriend of a friend of mine asked me if I knew where there were any shops available for rent because she and a friend wanted to rent one and start a little travel advice bureau in it – – this without any experience in the industry at all, but with the burning desire to "open a shop".

When I asked her whether she had been seeking out any places that she could use, she basically said she hadn't, but anywhere would do, to which I replied that she really needed to be in an area with a great deal of foot traffic, so that she could sell to the tourists, something which seemed to be alien to her. I would put good money on it that whatever she opens will be destined to fail.

Still feeling a little fragile so I will endeavour to get a bit of rest, with the help of a couple of anti-inflammatories plus the antibiotics that the hospital prescribed for my head wounds, hoping that the damage to the base of my spine is not serious.

• Sad 4

Get well soon Xylo. I guess you had luck. Could be much more serious. My neighbor of many years had not that luck and died some days ago on mc here. Patong sucks these days and is really dangerous.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your poor night xylo.

Your usual mc taxi wasn’t around ?

I just can’t believe someone would just dump you like that, though I agree with LL that the good people should be our focus, sometimes it’s difficult to see them for all the riff raff.

It sounds like you are going to need to look for lodgings with better access when you feel better.

Get well soon. 

Edited by HighPriority
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, schlog said:

Get well soon Xylo. I guess you had luck. Could be much more serious. My neighbor of many years had not that luck and died some days ago on mc here. Patong sucks these days and is really dangerous.

Thank you for your post schlog, and I'm not sure that I'm over the worst of it yet because this morning I feel particularly grim, so another visit to the hospital is on the cards I think, especially as I am totally unsteady on my feet, with my head spinning, as well as the base of my spine hurting very much.

I notice that someone has put a "love it" emoji on my original post, just goes to show that there are some sick "bar stewards" on AN, this especially as I could have fractured my skull and the base of my spine, and the outcome is not fully known yet, especially with the way I'm feeling at the moment.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thank you for your post schlog, and I'm not sure that I'm over the worst of it yet because this morning I feel particularly grim, so another visit to the hospital is on the cards I think, especially as I am totally unsteady on my feet, with my head spinning, as well as the base of my spine hurting very much.

I notice that someone has put a "love it" emoji on my original post, just goes to show that there are some sick "bar stewards" on AN, this especially as I could have fractured my skull and the base of my spine, and the outcome is not fully known yet, especially with the way I'm feeling at the moment.

Thanks again.

I’m sure the emoticon was meant as giving you hug mate.

Rest and recuperate for you.

Concussions are to be taken seriously, keep in touch with your Dr and hopefully someone is able to keep check on you at home ?

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

It sounds like you are going to need to look for lodgings with better access when you feel better.

I had thought about that a few months back and went looking, but couldn't find anywhere which was suitable or at a similar cost to my current apartment, so I gave it up as a bad job, however now I'm thinking that I should have a look again, but there's not much around at the moment what with the Russians buying and renting places like it's going out of fashion.

When I feel better I will do another search – – thanks for the advice HP.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

Today I went to get the dressing on my head changed and the nurse said that if this was the fault of the motorbike taxi driver, then they were insured and I should claim from him, but how do you claim from someone who decided to do a "runner" after the incident? Not to worry, I said because I had paid it anyway.

were you wearing a helmet ? 

That's a really bad night Xylophone.

Hope you recover quickly and with no lasting effects.

We all enjoy your posts and updates.

Finding the traffic starting to ease a trifle in Patong but went down to Nai Harn for a meal last night and surprised to find not a lot of traffic but still lots of people on the pavements so I think retailers in Kata and Karon are still enjoying good sales.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stoner said:

were you wearing a helmet ? 

Whenever I'm out and about on my own motorbike I always wear a helmet, but I've never been offered one when riding on the back of a motorbike taxi, and I don't think they carry them for passengers?

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...