Bank Account On Non B - Possible?

Hi everyone!

Apologies if this has been covered previously, im a new kid on the soi, but does anyone have any advice regarding opening a bank account with a non b visa? I have approached several banks and was surprised to be asked that I need a work permit and a deposit of 60,000b! Kind of perplexed as why this is necessary? anyone kind enough to give any advice on this matter!? I have tried a few big banks on Th Phahonyothin, maybe I need to go more 'central' ie . along Sukhumvit to get a bank account? Hmmm confused! thanks in advance!

Have a Great New Year!

Lookchin

Hi everyone!

Apologies if this has been covered previously, im a new kid on the soi, but does anyone have any advice regarding opening a bank account with a non b visa? I have approached several banks and was surprised to be asked that I need a work permit and a deposit of 60,000b! Kind of perplexed as why this is necessary? anyone kind enough to give any advice on this matter!? I have tried a few big banks on Th Phahonyothin, maybe I need to go more 'central' ie . along Sukhumvit to get a bank account? Hmmm confused! thanks in advance!

Have a Great New Year!

Lookchin

Although I already have a work permit and one year B visa, I got a bank account even when I was still on a visa exempt stamp (no visa at all, not even a tourist visa), and of course, I had no work permit yet at that time. And minimum was only 500 baht if i remember. Not too long ago... about a year.

Have you tried Kasikorn bank?

Edited by junkofdavid2

I opened my account on a tourist visa and only needed a 500 Baht opening balance. That was at the Kasikorn Branch near Thong Lo BTS Station. Just walk from branch to branch and eventually you will find one which will open an account for you.

This is all news to me. I have four bank accounts across four different banks and all they ever asked for was a copy of my WP and Passport and in each case I only had to desposit 100 baht or pay about 300 baht for the ATM card if I wanted one.

Edited by Casanundra

yeah strange huh?

thanks for the replies, i think i shall 'dress to impress' those lovely thai lady bank clerks and take a stroll, trying a few more banks along the way, the bank, if i remember correctly was UOB in Central Ramaintra, asking for 60,000b. I guess they didnt like the look of me?! 5555

thanks again!

Lookchin

yeah strange huh?

thanks for the replies, i think i shall 'dress to impress' those lovely thai lady bank clerks and take a stroll, trying a few more banks along the way, the bank, if i remember correctly was UOB in Central Ramaintra, asking for 60,000b. I guess they didnt like the look of me?! 5555

thanks again!

Lookchin

Bangkok Bank on Silom, the Main branch.

I had the same problem at Bank of Bangkok.

What I did was open an account with Siam City Bank. All you need is your passport and a small sum to open the account with. Siam city Bank even offers online banking

Jim :o

There is no "Bank of Bangkok" so perhaps that was Bangkok Bank Limited. Most of us have accounts with them. The second most popular is probably Siam Commercial Bank. Siam City Bank was on very shaky ground after 1997 but perhaps they got it together - but have not heard of anyone else using them and they are very small. You sure it is not Siam Commercial Bank you have the account with?

:o strange? i have a bankaccount aswell, but no WP or Vis, I just opened a savings account at the bangkokbank, deposit was 500 bath and voila. One of the first thinks i do when i'm in the country is chanching my euro and put it on my account.

try it at bangkokbank, bankapi-branche, sukumviteroad, near NANA-Station (between)soi 4 and ??? 10 ????

I use Thai Military Bank (TMB). Just walked in off the street with my passport and a few Baht. Only had a tourist visa but didn't have any problems. I was issued with a pass book and an ATM card which I collected later the same day. Use the local branch all the time and never have any problems.

You can open a bank account on any visa. I am not sure if all the banks follow the same policy. I opened the bank account in Krungsri (Ayutthiya) and it was the time when I was doing my PhD in Thailand and was NOT on Non-B visa. I hold Non-B visa for long now along with the work permit.

If I remember correctly, I opened the bank account with only 500 Baht and not 60,000. Even now I can open a bank account with only 500 or 100 baht.

I think you are considering the famous banks, which are worse everywhere in Asia. Try using the local banks. :o

Edited by ajarnmark

I use Thai Military Bank (TMB). Just walked in off the street with my passport and a few Baht. Only had a tourist visa but didn't have any problems. I was issued with a pass book and an ATM card which I collected later the same day. Use the local branch all the time and never have any problems.

This bank does not pay interest on savings accounts for foreigners.

Once upon a time Siam Commercial Bank told me I needed a work permit to open an account with them. This was right when I needed to open an account to transfer 2 million baht to buy a condo. I left and opened an account with Kasikorn Bank. They were very glad to hold my 2 million for me until I bought the condo. Thailand is indeed baffling at times.

Edited by mbkudu

Siam City Bank was on very shaky ground after 1997 but perhaps they got it together - but have not heard of anyone else using them and they are very small.

Strange, they seem to have more brahcnes than any other bank and definately a hel_l of a lot more ATMs than any other bank!! Maybe they have massively turned around since '97.

In any case Siam City Bank opened an account for me a couple of years ago on a 30day stamp - passbook + ATM card. This bank offers the best exchange rates of any bank, at least for the A$ and I'm pretty sure for all currencies.

If anyone has an account with them I'd like to know how I can get internet banking added on - when I opened it they said I could not have it on my 3-day stamp, but perhaps now I can?

Siam City Bank was on very shaky ground after 1997 but perhaps they got it together - but have not heard of anyone else using them and they are very small.

Strange, they seem to have more brahcnes than any other bank and definately a hel_l of a lot more ATMs than any other bank!! Maybe they have massively turned around since '97.

In any case Siam City Bank opened an account for me a couple of years ago on a 30day stamp - passbook + ATM card. This bank offers the best exchange rates of any bank, at least for the A$ and I'm pretty sure for all currencies.

If anyone has an account with them I'd like to know how I can get internet banking added on - when I opened it they said I could not have it on my 3-day stamp, but perhaps now I can?

Kasikorn is best; Ayudha gave me no problem either. All the other banks, same bs.

Siam City Bank is not even in the same ballpark as the large banks. In number of branch offices it ranks number 7. I still think you are thinking about Siam Commercial Bank, which is a large bank and has a great many ATM's. I have seen very few Siam City Bank ATM's and don't believe I have ever used one.

Earlier this week I went to the Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) branch at Thanya Building in Bangkok to open a savings account and was asked for a work permit. The staff said there was a law requiring a work permit. I called SCB’s call centre and was told that the branch manager can, at his/her discretion, approve an account without a work permit. After explaining that I was retired, did not work and therefore had no work permit but needed an account because the rules of the Immigration Bureau require it, the branch manager still refused to open an account for me. I asked her if she would do me a favour and give me a photocopy of the law she mentioned, she agreed and an hour later (she had to call head office to ask for it and apparently they had some difficulty finding it) I held the copy in my hands (see attachment), saw at a glance that this was no law, no Ministerial Regulation, no order or rule of the Bank of Thailand nor of any other government institution. It is an internal guideline or rule of SCB.

post-21260-1167481306_thumb.jpg

Other banks have other internal guidelines and I remember seeing a post by a member (eugengeri?) with a copy of Bangkok Bank’s guideline some months ago.

I said nothing further to this branch manager of SCB except thanking her very much, walked down Silom road to eat my favourite sticky rice and mango at the food court of the United Center building, saw another SCB branch in that building, was reluctantly given a savings account there, and received confirmation that it would earn the regular interest for a savings account, currently 0.75%.

The call centre of SCB also had told me that if I was refused the account at the Thanya branch I would definitely get it at the Silom branch, opposite the head office of Bangkok Bank, but in the end it was not necessary for me to go there.

--

Maestro

I went to Siam commercial to open an account a few weeks ago and was told i need work permit. Only just started work so don't have yet. That was at Siam Paragon (where my boss told me to go)

I've already got an account with Bangkok Bank, that was opened with just non o visa and passport.

I think really it just varies day to day, teller to teller.

Recently, because of bahtvUSD fiasco, I decided that I would open a USD account, and trotted off to Bangkok Bank to do so, with pile of Benjamins in hand.

Went to international where they told me either I needed:

a) a work permit; or

:D had to have a tourist visa;

c) had to have a banker reference.

I fit into neither category these days, since I have a visa that is in EX category.

They also told me that I needed a letter from my existing bank (reference), and in fact the nice lady gave me a BKK fact sheet for USD accounts that had all the info.

I smirked at that one, and pointed out that I have several accounts with BKK bank, both in personal and company names, and they were my bank!

Anyway, cut a long story short, I went to my own branch, got them to call, and hey presto - USD account open!

I then asked the manager why it is that the 'rules' seem open to such wide interpretation, and they basically said they have tens of thousands of accounts for foreigners who opened them up, stayed for a three month holiday, then left leaving a very small amount in baht in the accounts, and they are trying to ensure that accounts are only open for long term 'residents' - then of course completely contradicted themselves by saying, 'but we can do anyway'.

TIT :o

I tried to open a savings acct at a Siam Commercial Bank in Jomtien with a Tourist Visa and was informed they required a "Certificate Of Residency" from the immigration dept.

I previously got one of these certificates when I went to purchase and register my motorbike but my friends told me that they never had to present one of these certificates to open a savings acct. -even on a VOA.

Anyone know if these certificates are actually neccessary to open a savings account or should I try another bank?

I'm not too cheap to afford the 200 baht fee at immigration it's just the rigamarole and red-tape I am trying to minimize.

It seems to be an often requested document these days for account set up but as a quick read here shows there is no absolute with opening accounts.

I suspect immigration will be less likely to provide for you as they normally only give to those making 90 day address reports (long stay extensions) these days. The alternative would be your Embassy.

I tried to open a savings acct at a Siam Commercial Bank in Jomtien with a Tourist Visa and was informed they required a "Certificate Of Residency" from the immigration dept.

I previously got one of these certificates when I went to purchase and register my motorbike but my friends told me that they never had to present one of these certificates to open a savings acct. -even on a VOA.

Anyone know if these certificates are actually neccessary to open a savings account or should I try another bank?

I'm not too cheap to afford the 200 baht fee at immigration it's just the rigamarole and red-tape I am trying to minimize.

Try different branches of the same/different bank(s) and you'll eventually probably open an account without that certificate.

Hi There,

Foreigners may have a bank account in Thailand.

If one needs an ATM, the foreigner must be resident and/or have a work permit.

Concerning online-banking at BBL one must be resident.

If anyone knows a bank that offers online banking to non-residents tell me!

Important is a good relation to your banker.

I recommend SCB and BBL.

Happy New Year!

Regards, boxida

Hi There,

Foreigners may have a bank account in Thailand.

If one needs an ATM, the foreigner must be resident and/or have a work permit.

Concerning online-banking at BBL one must be resident.

If anyone knows a bank that offers online banking to non-residents tell me!

Important is a good relation to your banker.

I recommend SCB and BBL.

Happy New Year!

Regards, boxida

ATM access is normal for all normal passbook savings accounts and they can be obtained on a 30 day entry stamp at some banks.

You will also need to supply a valid address, not sure if they want the residential or postal address. Any condo/hotel address will do.

I have never heard about anyone being told to supply such funds to open an acc, normally it's 500 THB deposit and possibly some extra for the card. Try the yellow bank, they are fast and have many branches. I opened an acc with them in April or May, and i was on an entry stamp (30 day).

This seems kind of baffling..

So, kindly would someone tell us where we could open an account with a tourist 30-day Visa or multiple entry Non-Immigrant visa which valid for 12 months....

Secondly, is it possible to get ATM card and online banking facility with the account ?

Hopfully someone could give us a sure answer for the above..

Keep trying, dress well, be polite, if offerred with conditions - accept and fulfill or dont accept.

UOB set an initial deposit of between 20K and 60K baht, which can be withdrawn the following day.

HSBC and Citibank have deposit requirements of 500K and 100K respectively and do want to see a work permit. But you could always do volunteer work and get a work permit with a non-imm visa - havent tried this. Also HSBC have some premium banking where if you earn over 75K GBP or equivalent they can assist opening a bank account with them anywhere in the world. Then again are HSBC and Citibank that good ?

All the other banks you can get everything if you just keep on trying.

And I am speaking from experience....

Just to show how random (and bizarre) the consistency with the banks is:

In July I opened two accounts (a typical savings account and a bond fund account) at the Jomtien branch of Siam Commercial Bank with just a 30-day visa-waiver stamp. The staff could not have been nicer, and each time I visit, the branch manager makes a point to say hello. I already had a SCB savings account at the main Bangkok office, and had gone ito the Jomtien branch simply to update the passbook, when they suggested I open an account with them now that I live in Jomtien, since I would avoid out-of-province fees for transactions. They further suggested the bond fund account for a minimum deposit of B50,000 to obtain ~4% rate of return.

Now, today Nam Plah posted this: