Big C traffic lights on Hang Dong road intersection

stephenterry

Whilst the same movement system exists at Airport lights, there is normally a large daytime/evening North/South 3-lane queue at Big C lights. Why don't the authorities enable the same flow system as at Highway 121 lights, and green light the N-S traffic simultaneously? 

Surely that would ease excessive congestion, wouldn't it - and make it quicker for vehicles to exit Big C into Hang Dong road?  

Since the government change there's been more visible evidence of changes made for safety & traffic flow....

The light you mentioned has some really poor sequencing & is too fast at some of the turning intervals at the side streets (4-7 cars with a 500 meter back up during the commuter traffic time).....

The traffic has outgrown  the road design & that won't change soon...

^^

Actually what they have done is create two designated u-turn lanes so there are three lanes in lieu of two.

They have now enabled a quick u turn back in both directions which massively alleviates a backlog.

thats a thumbs up for me.

and to go further  with their road safety campaign,  they have also erected large (out of scale large) off putting signs on the Mahihol road warning that driving too fast leads to a crash......whatever next ...........

well I will tell you and this  shocked me.

There is a sweeping crash barrier a bit further on from Global house. now that section of road is a racetrack but dont you think that installing spinning bobbins (as they did 2 weeks ago) encourages a bit of speed around that bend.

go and look...you will see one exactly like this

Just wondering if a farang road engineer has got a job in the transport office and is now pointing out the bloody obvious.

594faa574d8ec_rollingguardrail.jpg.239ae05aef295a91bafd309ea73bdac1.jpg

I use that intersection often, and once those traffic lights turn to red I just switch off the engine. It`s really bad sitting there on a motorbike during the day with the blazing hot sun scorching down. Feels like being in a sauna.

What happened to all those numbered countdown system traffic lights?

11 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

^^

Actually what they have done is create two designated u-turn lanes so there are three lanes in lieu of two.

They have now enabled a quick u turn back in both directions which massively alleviates a backlog.

thats a thumbs up for me.

There was always a single designated U-turn lane (and there's still only one), but it was woefully short- it's been extended, and now the many people who wanted to make the U-turn no longer have to wait for the light to turn green and for progress in the designated right-turn lane when there's traffic (which was nearly always as previously only three cars needed to be in the right-turn lane to block access to the U-turn lane- now it extends way beyond that).

It's actually puzzling why it's worse on weekend than in rush hour school traffic.   A bit more attention to the traffic light timing would go a long way it seems.

Oh, and ban all parking on the 108, on pain of death.

On the plus side, the Outer Ring is coming along nicely.  That should help a bit. 

Archived