When retaining walls don't ...

Crossy

Excellent Crossy and good to hear you went the proper route.  Irrespective of my other criticisms Thai civil engineers and architects are some of the best in the world.  The problem is general house builders here do not employ them and the average Thai does not understand sufficiently to insist that a builder should use them.

Thai builders can be ok too. We have excellent builders on our construction crew. The problem is not the builders it's the boss who likes to cut corners and knows that by the time the cracks appear he will be long gone with the cash.
I would never trust a Thai run/owned Construction Company to build anything.
They have little concept of basic laws of psychics.
ROOF HEAVY
GROUND SOFT
[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barbed wire would be cheaper, except the snakes and other critters would come through.
Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing barbed wire in Thailand. Is that a Buddhist thing?

Barbed wire is everywhere mate. All hardware stores have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 30/06/2017 at 2:58 PM, bazza73 said:

Barbed wire would be cheaper, except the snakes and other critters would come through.

Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing barbed wire in Thailand. Is that a Buddhist thing?

Really? 

Here you go then,

These are from when the  neighbours decided to put their earth against our boundary (not retaining) wall IMG_6116.thumb.JPG.325629f495c27d56a722d66f245509e9.JPGIMG_6117.thumb.JPG.865e0578a69419f3227990b9d6915a48.JPGIMG_6119.thumb.JPG.72130fb663922944e1759fc0840a7a04.JPG

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Really? 

Here you go then,

These are from when the  neighbours decided to put their earth against our boundary (not retaining) wall IMG_6119.thumb.JPG.72130fb663922944e1759fc0840a7a04.JPG

Are those sticks reinforced?  That's funny.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Really? 

Here you go then,

These are from when the  neighbours decided to put their earth against our boundary (not retaining) wall IMG_6116.thumb.JPG.325629f495c27d56a722d66f245509e9.JPGIMG_6117.thumb.JPG.865e0578a69419f3227990b9d6915a48.JPGIMG_6119.thumb.JPG.72130fb663922944e1759fc0840a7a04.JPG

Bastards. That's not funny.

Edited by grollies

1 hour ago, grollies said:

Eh?

The OP's non-buttressed and non-piled wall was washed out from outside and underneath.

Someone mentioned buttress walling. For the OP's scenario, the buttressing would need to be on the outside of the wall, on someone else's property... or in a river? Not a viable solution.

Then someone posts a buttressed wall with obviously higher fill on the opposite side, ie. buttresses on the property side. So if the OP had buttressed his wall from his property side, the wall would still be gone along with a chunk of his garden but he could be proud of his buttresses, sticking out of the mud, eh?

Assuming the property on either side of the wall is pretty much the same elevation, pilings & footings may be the most economical fix.

Retaining_Wall_Type_Function.jpg.ed2c2dcfb7c49ba8b8804ed11f39468d.jpg

Or if budgets allow, some corrugated sheet piling?

Containment-Barrier-Sheet-Piling.jpg.6f13c55daa49d08f0c8aed92a634af55.jpg

Edited by NanLaew

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The OP's non-buttressed and none-piled wall was washed out from outside and underneath.

Now we've done a bit of demolition (strangely satisfying that) the dog can see the rabbit

Image00010.jpg20170702_141631.jpg

This is exactly what NanLaew is talking about, water right up to the wall, it wasn't like that when it was built :sad:

Image00003.jpg  Image00002.jpg

Looks like the activities of the khlong-cleaning crew have not helped, this is what it looks like elsewhere (and used to look like here)

Image00004.jpg

I'm still hoping to save the ground beam, it's not moved much (it was always slightly bent).

But what to do about all that wetness, most of the demolished wall is in there at present.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The OP's non-buttressed and non-piled wall was washed out from outside and underneath.

Someone mentioned buttress walling. For the OP's scenario, the buttressing would need to be on the outside of the wall, on someone else's property... or in a river? Not a viable solution.

Then someone posts a buttressed wall with obviously higher fill on the opposite side, ie. buttresses on the property side. So if the OP had buttressed his wall from his property side, the wall would still be gone along with a chunk of his garden but he could be proud of his buttresses, sticking out of the mud, eh?

Assuming the property on either side of the wall is pretty much the same elevation, pilings & footings may be the most economical fix.

Retaining_Wall_Type_Function.jpg.ed2c2dcfb7c49ba8b8804ed11f39468d.jpg

Or if budgets allow, some corrugated sheet piling?

Containment-Barrier-Sheet-Piling.jpg.6f13c55daa49d08f0c8aed92a634af55.jpg

Point taken and if the neighbours object to buttresses on their property or there is no room then yeah, piles. Becomes a bit clearer from the OP's later photos.

BTW  I still don't get your comment on the above photo of the buttress wall. Either side of the wall is common property and the opposite, high side is dug round the wall with a French drain. Difficult for the ground to get washed away on either side.

I wasn't suggesting the OP put buttresses on his (high side) property.

Maybe a fix for @sometimewoodworker if he can straighten his wall :sad: although I can't see his neighbour putting drainage in. That landraising will cause all sorts of issues.