Help with finding Licorice in CM

Billy Bloggs

Im after where to buy Licorice in Chiang Mai, since being here for 2 years I have been able to buy at either Tops or Rimping first Tops stopped stocking it(or at least the ones I go to) and now finally Rimping the last that still stocked it stopped as well(the one over the river behind the Night Bazaar). 

I used to buy HARIBO brand as that was all I could find, it had Lakritz on the bag(which I know translates to Licorice), it is my substitute for more sweeter things while I try and contain my weight.

All help greatly appreciated.

The Haribo brand is all over Thailand so you should be able to get it at Big C Extra  . When I lived in CM Big C next to Central .  

I just checked.  Right now Hubby has none of this stuff in the refrigerator.  Personally I find it disgusting. So, I don't know what brand he buys, but he buys it at the little store, the "Green Store" in Nakorn Ping condo, in Soi Ratchaphrunk off Huay Kaew Rd, across from the Shell Oil station, about 300 meters from Kad Suan Kaew.

I guess there's a market for it because the Thai lady who runs the store used to work for Rim Ping and knows how to pander to foreign tastes.  Yuck.

It's an ongoing quest in Chiang Mai.  Right now I have some Australian licorice in my refrigerator.  Friends who come from abroad always are requested to bring a stash of black licorice--the only flavor--to keep me in good form for a couple months.

licorice.jpg

Are you only interested in the sweet candy flavored with Licorice, or would you be satisfied with Licorice root itself?  You can buy the woody root from various spice vendors who sell at the Chiang Dow Market on Tuesday mornings.  I used to love to chew on the thin Licorice roots. Full flavor and none of the sugar.  We also used them when training young horses to accept a bridal and bit. We'd replace the metal bit with a licorice root, and the colts loved the flavor!

Thanks for the replies

Balo yes all the other Haribro stuff is there but the licorice has slowly disappeared from the Tops and Rimping, I thought I was buying enough to keep it going at my local rimping but seems not.

Nancy yes it is an acquired taste and I will check out that store next time Im up at KSK(which will be saturday to pick up a new ATM card, but thats another story) so thanks

Mr Brad hopefully you get some info to find some as well.

FolkGuitar thanks but no its just to help with hunger while I try to get some weight off, I find it helps, but will keep it in mind if I ever need to be broken to harness :)

I bring back twice a year for two Canadian friends four pounds of Red Vine Licorice. I charge a nominal fee for this and they are very happy to have this treat year round thanks to my geneous nature. Personally, I hate the candy. Perhaps I should bring back ten pounds each time and sell it at a premium price to those who yen for this treat. Any takers????

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ah-ah-ah! Just to make you salivating, Billy...

DSCN4206.JPG.990d438d13e1acd6b28282b49050b83e.JPG

Purchased this morning from Big C Extra on the highway to Lampun near Index Mall.

80 Bahts/pack. Located in the candies/biscuits area...

Yum-yum!

:laugh:

19 minutes ago, gobs said:

Purchased this morning from Big C Extra on the highway to Lampun near Index Mall.

Yum-yum!

Is the one pictured on the right licorice, as it looks more like Jelly-Bellies... 

2 hours ago, gobs said:

Yum-yum!

I wonder how the licorice on the left differs from what I used to get at Rim Ping...

pic of licorice.jpg

I've tried some that was so salty that I couldn't eat it.  I never knew there were different types.

I don't think much of the newer type that's in red spirals....no real licorice flavour at all.

Licorice allsorts were all the go when I was a lad....

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Is the one pictured on the right licorice, as it looks more like Jelly-Bellies... 

Yes it's licorice with a sweet and crunchy "dragee coating". taste is more "raised" than the licorice rolls.

Not so good for the teeth I suppose, but so... aaaaahhhhh... yummy!

20 minutes ago, mesquite said:

I wonder how the licorice on the left differs from what I used to get at Rim Ping...

pic of licorice.jpg

These lozenges on the left are licorice too, but are quite softer in taste ( and very low sugar) and a bit salted in mouth. IIRC, in those days it was said to be a candy " to help digestion"...

I'm a fan of these "traditional" rolls too. When I was a kid I remember I unrolled it all and ate it while hanging down from my mouth with big suction sounds: slurp, sluuuuurp...

Strong eyes from my mother then... :tongue:

29 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

I've tried some that was so salty that I couldn't eat it.  I never knew there were different types.

I don't think much of the newer type that's in red spirals....no real licorice flavour at all.

Yeah I remember all sorts of licorice candies at the bakery down my street when I was a kid. At least a dozen of different sorts and at a very cheap price. And many kids wandering around the shop...

:smile:

Licorice Allsorts are still readily available in the UK along with Midget Gems, Wine Gums etc all the old favourites.

Licorice on its own seems to have taken a back seat, kids nowadays prefer the red licorice I.e. Bootlaces , which IMO isn't as good but still edible.

Haribo, although has been around for nearly 100 years, wasn't popular in the UK when I was a kid, I remember it was deemed to be exotic coming from Europe ( [emoji23]) and quite expensive.

I did like Pomfret Cakes ( now called Pontefract Cakes ) which were a type of black licorice thickened with flour and date back to the 1760's !

EDIT: sorry if I went off topic waffling about Licorice in the UK but I don't live in CM but do like Licorice [emoji2]

gobs very cruel, but fortunately for me I dont like either of those types so no great drama. lol

To one of the other posters, I used to love what we in Oz called straps about a foot long and maybe an inch wide loved em, then we had licorice bullets, 1000% better then what they make today, I used to help out at my local shop counting and bagging em as they were 8 a penny, they kept an eye on me as I was known to eat a few.

Lucky I have a mate arriving in a few weeks he will just have to go oversize in a suitcase I think.

Yes success at last, went to to Green Shop at Nakorn Ping as Nancy suggested and there as I walked thru the door was the Licorice, the Haribo was 75 baht(1 baht dearer than rimping) she also had some soft eating as well but very expensive at 150 baht but 75 grams more. She asked how I knew that she had Licorice and we told her the story of asking on thaivisa for help, so if any run short you know where you can get some suplies.

IMG_20170630_122612.jpg

IMG_20170630_122621.jpg

The soft liquorice in your first picture is the best one , it's made in Australia . It's more natural and not too sweet.  Sometimes you can buy them on sale here in Pattaya for 120 baht for 2 (buy 1 get 1 free) . 

Archived