The Chicago Thread

Jeff1

It seems we have alot of people here from Chicago or what we call Chicagoland.

I am wondering why. Most people I talk to love the city. So it makes me think that we know that it is the best we can get in the U.S. so lets move to Thailand, it's not getting any better than that.

Forget Rednecks..... Here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about.... Chicago

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from September through May, you live in Chicago

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you live in Chicago

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in Chicago

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you live in Chicago

If "Vacation" means going anywhere south of I - 80 for the weekend, you live in Chicago.

If you measure distance in h ours, you live in Chicago.

If you have switched from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again, you live in Chicago.

If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in Chicago.

If you carry jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you live in Chicago

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you live in Chicago

If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you're going 80 and everybody is passing you, you live in Chicago

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you live in Chicago

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you live in Chicago.

If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in Chicago.

If you find 10 degrees "a little chilly", you live in Chicago.

Thanks, jeff1, for this topic (which may have been inspired by the topic in the teaching forum by the Thai/Thai guy from Chicago).

I live south of I-40 because I just couldn't tolerate all that cold weather that Foxworthy jokes about. It was no joke walking to the ice skating pond and already being frozen solid. Brownsville, Texas was a bit chilly (it snowed there a year ago!), so I got within 20 degrees of the equator.

I'm a DuPage County boy, born at Garfield Park Hospital in Chicago. Going to the Loop was a big adventure for us.

I love to hear a native Chicagoan talk. Not the 'dees, dem, doz' accent, either, but the kind that Jack Taylor spoke on channel 9. He was my neighbor.

Hi PB,

We went downtown last week to get my visa .

700 Rush st. withen walking distance to the mag. mile, water tower, ect. I was getting a thrill showing my wife all the sights. She replied " looks like the pictures " :o

Oddly enough it was 53 degrees today but like we say, if you don't like the weather, wait a few miniutes.

It seems we have alot of people here from Chicago or what we call Chicagoland.

I am wondering why. Most people I talk to love the city. So it makes me think that we know that it is the best we can get in the U.S. so lets move to Thailand, it's not getting any better than that.

Forget Rednecks..... Here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about.... Chicago

That is funny, I never heard these before. I didn't even realize that some of these things were a Chicago thing. These two really made me laugh.

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you live in Chicago
I once hooked up with a girl after we talked a few hours on the phone. She had called my number by mistake. :D
If you measure distance in h ours, you live in Chicago.

Just last night a friend was talking about driving down to Kentucky for a few days. We agreed that it was about 7 hours away. :D

Now for the big question, does anybody know where you can get an Itallian beef sandwich in Thailand?:o

I went to 700 rush street to for my visa too savvy bunch, anyone going back to chicago next year? I visted for 2 months and now im back in The LOS, kinda pricy air-tickets though now-a-days, I was born and raised in the NW side of chicago, my hang-outs were china-town/Arglye/mitsuwa

use to live on kildare,drake,leland,henderson,cullom/montrose/leclaire/milwaukee/6 corners/jeff park,glenview,and now mount prospect lol

we should have an annual chicago day hang out in bangkok and go to bed supper club HAHAHAHA

Edited by DragonQuest

"The windy city - circa 1885"

"The City of big shoulders - Sandburg"

I worked downtown Chicago for a few years as a field engineer for United Airlines reservation systems and the topic has a touch of nostalgia for me. Some great dining, great bars, great ladies. The office I worked in had around 300 females working in it, most single. Ahh, the good old days. :o

Ah, my Chicago brothers. I am yet another one born and raised in Chi-town. I seem to remember a couple other people on the forum saying they were from there as well.

For Tim207, you will not find an Italian Beef anywhere in Thailand, thats for sure. Funnily enough, my uncle just went back there for a trip as he and I both live in Las Vegas now. He brought a gift back for me. He bought and we split up 20 lbs of Portillo's beef and gravy. Man I love that stuff!

GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

italian_beef2.jpg

port3.jpg

Edited by TRIPxCORE

speaking about food, BUFFALO JOES IN EVANSTON best chicken wings in the world! hooters wings suck but the girls are hot, shiroi Hana on clark, 7 treasures in china town, o and my favorite Huantitan mexican tacos on pulaski and north avenue hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks, jeff1, for this topic (which may have been inspired by the topic in the teaching forum by the Thai/Thai guy from Chicago).

I love to hear a native Chicagoan talk. Not the 'dees, dem, doz' accent, either, but the kind that Jack Taylor spoke on channel 9. He was my neighbor.

Paul Conrad, the weatherman on chanel 9, the last time I was back, was my classmates at the Goodman. Real nice guy too!

Just too damned cold in Chicago for me.

I'm english, and have never set foot outside of the airport in Chicago but I've three reasons for loving the windy city:

1. Buddy Guy.

2. Eric Clapton (plays chicago blues)

3. And this bombshell, heartachingly gorgeous lady I knew once.. She wasn't only pretty, but she could perform too. I nearly fell in Love.

If you eventually move from Chicago to Thailand, you'll also miss real pizza. Sorry, but only about 15% of the pizza sold even in tourist areas comes halfway close to Pizzeria Uno and Due.

Oh God, pizza in Thailand is an abomination! :o

Just too damned cold in Chicago for me.

Amen to that! :D

I went to 700 rush street to for my visa too savvy bunch, anyone going back to chicago next year? I visted for 2 months and now im back in The LOS, kinda pricy air-tickets though now-a-days, I was born and raised in the NW side of chicago, my hang-outs were china-town/Arglye/mitsuwa

use to live on kildare,drake,leland,henderson,cullom/montrose/leclaire/milwaukee/6 corners/jeff park,glenview,and now mount prospect lol

we should have an annual chicago day hang out in bangkok and go to bed supper club HAHAHAHA

Savvy bunch is right and a beautiful Thai lady behind the counter. Almost made me not want to leave :o

Mitsuwa, the Japanese market? Mount Prospect? Portillos, all 10 miniutes from where my condo is. That is the problem. I have been back for 5 months and gained 2 pant sizes :D The food here is just to good. I go back to Thailand in 10 days where I can get back to my normal size. It's easy to do when my wife looks up ( sitting on the floor with a bunch of her friends around a big bowl of chicken feet) with one half hanging out of her mouth and asks if I want some.

I think the best way is Chicago in the summer and Thailand in the winter.

I'm from Chi Town myself, grew up not far from the old cabrini green area... around north ave and western.

I laugh everytime a thai wants to impress me about Thailand and shows me the Bayoke tower! :o

Sure do miss the hot dogs from there! only place in the world where you can get a good dog.

One person mentioned Las vegas I believe... Great place there for chicago style dogs. bring in a peice of chicago memorabilia and your lunch is free.

Greg

I'm english, and have never set foot outside of the airport in Chicago but I've three reasons for loving the windy city:

1. Buddy Guy.

3. And this bombshell, heartachingly gorgeous lady I knew once.. She wasn't only pretty, but she could perform too. I nearly fell in Love.

:o:D:D

Oprah.....?.....you used to date Oprah ?

Wow.....so, what the heck are you doing here on TV?

LaoPo :D

Everytime I tell a thai im from chicago most dont know, only few do, the smart ones at least , then i say Illinois and they still never heard of it, but they know california and new york because there is a high concentration of thais in those states, so I just say plain old "America" or "USA" lol

1. Buddy Guy.

:D:D:D

LaoPo :D

:o No mate.. Fraid it weren't Oprah.

'twas in Amsterdam one cold and windy summer's day...

We sat out talking my entire hotel porter night shift, and at 7 AM we had a morning drink together and then she took me to her hotel room where I .... (censored for excitable language) ... and then slept a sleep in the bosom of an angel.

The girl in question ( i wish I had a pic of her ) looked a little bit like this celeb dark angel.... only more Native Indian (she was mostly Navajo) Otherwise, same lips, similar body shape...hmm....

jessicaalbacx2.jpg

I'm from Chi Town myself, grew up not far from the old cabrini green area... around north ave and western.

I laugh everytime a thai wants to impress me about Thailand and shows me the Bayoke tower! :o

Sure do miss the hot dogs from there! only place in the world where you can get a good dog.

One person mentioned Las vegas I believe... Great place there for chicago style dogs. bring in a peice of chicago memorabilia and your lunch is free.

Greg

There are actually a few places here in Las Vegas to get good Chicago Hot Dogs so I can have those whenever I want. Beef Sandwiches, while I can get them here, will never compare to Portillos in Chicago. Then there are quite a few Chicago pizza places here now too. It's still not the same as my favorite neighborhood place around Archer + Harlem but it's not bad. :D

There are alot of different "beef joints" here now. Mr. beef, Bueauo beef ,ect.

and as usual, all the "sports bar" food, that I find the best, if you know where to look.

I have a good friend that has a sports bar in Elk Grove Village that makes his own Italian beef. Good stuff. I asked him to show me how he makes it from scratch and he agreed. Now, I think I will open a " Chicago style restaurant" where I have a home in Korat and FINALLY we can all eat real farang food . I say this because, another guy I know at lou Malnatti's will show me how to make their style of deep dish and thin crust pizza . Toss in a few kosher dogs and we have something going here.

BUT the question is. wet, hot, sweet, dry?

Me, I always go for wet and hot.

And as an aside, you do not have to be from Chicago, or even have ever been there to have a love of food, culture and ( for the most part ) normal people. Not to mention the most beautiful skyline in the United States. We would love to hear from those of you that can sing and dance the blues away.

I have a good friend that has a sports bar in Elk Grove Village that makes his own Italian beef. Good stuff. I asked him to show me how he makes it from scratch and he agreed. Now, I think I will open a " Chicago style restaurant" where I have a home in Korat and FINALLY we can all eat real farang food . I say this because, another guy I know at lou Malnatti's will show me how to make their style of deep dish and thin crust pizza . Toss in a few kosher dogs and we have something going here.

I would take the 5 hour trip to Korat for a real Itallian beef. As for the pizza, I would eat that too but it isn't as important as the beef. I worked at Giordano's for several years in junior high and high school. I kept all the recipes but lost them over the years. :o

1. Buddy Guy.

:D:D:D

LaoPo :bah:

:D No mate.. Fraid it weren't Oprah.

'twas in Amsterdam one cold and windy summer's day...

We sat out talking my entire hotel porter night shift, and at 7 AM we had a morning drink together and then she took me to her hotel room where I .... (censored for excitable language) ... and then slept a sleep in the bosom of an angel.

The girl in question ( i wish I had a pic of her ) looked a little bit like this celeb dark angel.... only more Native Indian (she was mostly Navajo) Otherwise, same lips, similar body shape...hmm....

jessicaalbacx2.jpg

:o what can I say....?

LP

• 3 weeks later...

The Chicago Bears are going to the super bowl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Party at my house!!

Bear down Chicago Bears

la la la to victory.

Bear down Chicago Bears

something, something...........................