Computer repair Samui? (Faulty USB slot)

I have one faulty USB slot in my laptop. The main computer repair guy here in KP said that was something he'd have to send it to the mainland for a few days to be sorted.

My intitial thoughts were I'd be best going to bkk for a couple of days and getting it sorted in pantip plaza (cheap and reliable in my experience).... But then it occured to me that samui might be a good shout? Anyone know of repair people who are likely to be able to fix for a fair price?

Its a Toshiba Satellite

Cheers

Have you tried the guy at Joy's Computer and Motorcycle rental shop...on KP ?  I used to deal with him and found him good and fair, I just can't remember his name....Por perhaps????

Located between Tongsala on the right side... probably closer to Ban Tai than Tongsala...

Otherwise several places on Samui... see how you do there first!

12 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Have you tried the guy at Joy's Computer and Motorcycle rental shop...on KP ?  I used to deal with him and found him good and fair, I just can't remember his name....Por perhaps????

Located between Tongsala on the right side... probably closer to Ban Tai than Tongsala...

Otherwise several places on Samui... see how you do there first!

Apologies to all as this is an off topic post, but...

One of the reasons that I love Thailand is that you can have a computer repair shop AND motorcycle rental shop mashed together and no one blinks an eye.

Gotta love this place!

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Fat finger syndrome

56 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Apologies to all as this is an off topic post, but...

One of the reasons that I love Thailand is that you can have a computer repair shop AND motorcycle rental shop mashed together and no one blinks an eye.

Gotta love this place!

Many businesses multi task ... it how some people get ahead !!!!  :whistling::wink:

But in the case the wife /staff do the bikes and he does computers for the most part!

I do agree that a USB splitter would help the situation!

Thanks all,

I should have mentioned - I was using a USB splitter to solve this problem for a while. The connection to the laptop used to go on and off quite frequently (it does this with the mouse I am using now, but is fine most of the time). After misplacing this splitter, I bought another one, but this had the problem that only two of the six slots worked, and then one of the two that did started to be faulty.

Since then, I ditched the splitters and have used other computers when I needed to use more than one USB at a time. I had initially thought that my one working USB slot might be a little faulty, and that's why the splitters gave me a hard time, but as I bought them from the same shop - maybe it was a problem with those particular splitters?

But yes... my computer is f'ing old! 

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

But yes... my computer is f'ing old! 

Which will make a repair even harder, longer and more costly. You need to remember that it's all surface mount technology so pretty much everything is replaced rather than repaired because it is cheaper.  

10 minutes ago, nod said:

Try Khun Phat. Opposite Maenam Post Office in Samui. Cheers.

Hmm... I went there a few days ago as a neighbour had recommended it and had a copy of MS Office installed. The service and price were great, but I ran my anti virus as soon as I got home and had nine hits.

Just a heads up

Open it up and see if the I/O board is separate from the motherboard. If it is then you could just order one yourself as it's pretty straightforward to fit. Lots of YT videos on this subject.

It's a tough life for everything including electronics on Samui, what with the constant heat. That coupled with the cheapest products they can find to sell means that the mean time between failures [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_time_between_failures]MTBF[/url] is quite low. If I buy something and it's still working a couple of years later then I'm amazed.  Used to be able to get the fan for a motor rewound but they have gone as it is cheaper to buy a new one unless it is for a pump. Someone on KP still does it I heard a while back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading to Samui tomorrow... Anyone know a good place to look for a USB splitter? The phone / computer shops in Big C perhaps?

Also looking for a facial hair trimmer \ shaver as well if any ideas....

Cheers

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I'm heading to Samui tomorrow... Anyone know a good place to look for a USB splitter? The phone / computer shops in Big C perhaps?

Cheers

BigC or Central, the shop at the corner by the open parking, think it's Power Buy or Power something-else; the latter may probably be a better option for hair-trimmer, if it's electric, than BigC...:smile:

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Cheers

The store at Central has a lot of electronics, but is quite dear.

Big C has a hair/beard trimmer kit (10 piece) for about 250-300 baht in the home appliance section, but you'll have to search a bit before you find it. Look near the blenders/stoves, irons, etc. aisle.

Edited by Samui Bodoh

Great little computer section at the front of Big C store itself, picked up a USB splitter that actually works 

For shaver I splashed out on a Phillips 3000 at Powerbuy. Hopefully will last me for longer than my last couple! 

I was going to start a new thread to ask this but seemed more prudent to post here - I've just been on a chat with Apple and long story short I need a new iPad battery - I am going to KL soon on a visa run and they are quoting me 100 dollars for a authorised shop repair and new battery in KL - anyone know anywhere on samui (near chaweng ideally) that can do an iPad battery replacement  I know all the caveats about a non authorised Apple Store etc ... any advice ?

55 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Power something, the big shop in Central Festival is authorized Mac-dealer, but I don't know how they are with service.

However, there's a MacService between Chaweng Tesco and Makro in Bo Phot, worth checking.

I also think Banana is/was authorized Mac outlet...

:smile:

Yeah I'll check out power buy I think it is, according to apple there are no authorised iPad repair places in samui so maybe they just do Mac or maybe unapproved repairs I'll ask tomorrow cheers 

4 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Yeah I'll check out power buy I think it is, according to apple there are no authorised iPad repair places in samui so maybe they just do Mac or maybe unapproved repairs I'll ask tomorrow cheers 

None of the retail stores have a service dept. ... Ibeats,  Powerbuy, or BananaIT...  It could be worth asking at Ibeats for a battery, (next to Tesco Chawang out side toward main road) or Mac repair shop near Makro, toward Tesco on the Makro side of the road  large orange sign ...he has direct connections with Apple for Macs, for parts, I am not sure for Ipads.... worth asking his name is Boy or Boyd.... Good to deal with...

If it gets sent off to BKK it could take weeks...

10 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

None of the retail stores have a service dept. ... Ibeats,  Powerbuy, or BananaIT...  It could be worth asking at Ibeats for a battery, (next to Tesco Chawang out side toward main road) or Mac repair shop near Makro, toward Tesco on the Makro side of the road  large orange sign ...he has direct connections with Apple for Macs, for parts, I am not sure for Ipads.... worth asking his name is Boy or Boyd.... Good to deal with...

If it gets sent off to BKK it could take weeks...

My girlfriend just had her iPhone repaired in BKK – new protection glass –it took 4 days from delivered in here, till it was back here...:smile:

Believe SamuiJimmy and I are talking about the same Mac-repair shop, as I linked to above with Google-map.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

My girlfriend just had her iPhone repaired in BKK – new protection glass –it took 4 days from delivered in here, till it was back here...:smile:

Believe SamuiJimmy and I are talking about the same Mac-repair shop, as I linked to above with Google-map.

yes same shop, just having a brain freeze on the name!!! ... and he's got my laptop too!

Just came to me M Net! :biggrin::omfg: