Pineapple Market Crashes Forcing Farmers to Let Their Crops Rot

webfact

Pineapple Market Crashes Forcing Farmers to Let Their Crops Rot

by CityNews

pineapple.jpg

CityNews – Farmers are leaving their pineapples to rot in their fields as the price of pineapples has crashed from 12 baht to as low as 2 baht per kilo due to a supply-demand imbalance.

Pineapple farmers have been hit hard due to a crash in price for their fruit this year following lower demand from consumers and more farmers growing the crop when compared to last year.

In February this year, the cost of pineapples in the northeast of Thailand fell to 4 baht per kilo when compared to 12 baht in February 2016.

On June 21 this year, farmers in Chiang Mai, Lampang and Kamphaeng Pet were also reporting a crash in price, forcing them to sell their product on the roadside for as little as 2 baht per kilo up to 20 baht per kilo depending on size and quality of the fruit.

Mr Phisit Surawang told CityNews that production has increased so much this year that he had to sell his crop quickly so to avoid the rush and loose manufactures.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/pineapple-market-crashes-forcing-farmers-to-let-their-crops-rot/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2017-06-28

24 minutes ago, DavoTheGun said:

Something not right here, yesterday paid 30 Baht Kilo in Tesco, our village selling for 25 Baht big ones!

The prices quoted are probably the whole sale /dealer price .

Lower prices to the consumer will probably filter through through time

I bought 3 large ones for 50 THB ,and was even given another for free,

and they were excellent,funny thing is over last few months have had

difficulty finding tin pineapples,finally found some in Makro,a brand

I had never heard of before,very hard,need the tinned ones so can use

the syrup to make sweet & sour pork..

regards worgeordie

5 hours ago, DavoTheGun said:

Something not right here, yesterday paid 30 Baht Kilo in Tesco, our village selling for 25 Baht big ones!

IN Phuket IT IS DIFFICULT TO FIND GOOD PINEAPPLES AND THE BIG ONES AT big c ARE 69 BATH A PIECE. HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN IF NOT INTENTIONAL.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I bought 3 large ones for 50 THB ,and was even given another for free,

and they were excellent,funny thing is over last few months have had

difficulty finding tin pineapples,finally found some in Makro,a brand

I had never heard of before,very hard,need the tinned ones so can use

the syrup to make sweet & sour pork..

regards worgeordie

you can use ketchup , vinegar and sugar for sweet and sour, add some ginger and you even have a perfect chinese roast pork sauce.

10 baht each in Nong Hoi, Chiangmai. The large pineapple canning operation criticised in court cases recently should be able to absorb the over supply at a reasonable price for future sales. If not, they are poor business people. Canned pineapples will last for years.

This happens as there are no regulations... first there was an over supply of rice and the farmers realized that those growing pineapples were making money so then some rice farmers changed to grow pineapples and now instead there is an oversupply of pineapples.

I have seen this so many times in so many different aspects of business here in Thailand:
In a new built row of show houses a hairdresser opened, the next month another hairdresser opened in the other end of the row and after two months there were 3 hairdressers in one row of 7 shop houses... today there are no hairdressers left there as there were not enough customers around.

Two years ago there were two coffee shops around where I live, today one of them has closed but ten or twelve new has opened instead!

Basically the only thing most people around here seem to be able to do is to copy what others have done... as long as they have the money to do it!

One of the best value fruits in Thailand, I usually buy 10 kilos for 100 baht from the road side farm stalls in Nong Khai, or Loei .   Considering that each plant only produces one pineapple, and each plant takes up a lot of space, it's hard to understand why they are so cheap.

"Anyway, like I was sayin', pineapple is the fruit of the Land of Smiles. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, pineapple-kabobs, pineapple creole, pineapple gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's shrimp pineapple, lemon pineapple, coconut pineapple, pepper pineapple, pineapple soup, pineapple stew, pineapple salad, pineapple and potatoes, pineapple burger, pineapple sandwich. That- that's about it."
-- Forrest "Pineapple" Gump

Edited by connda

Sounds like some coordination is in order.  Do they know who is growing what so they can make recommendations?  It seems like that may one benefit of having an overbearing central govt

Edited by Redline

Buying at stores like Tesco and Macro, how can you not expect to be getting ripped off? Here in Mae Sai area of Chiang Rai they are dirt cheap in markets and roadside at 5 baht a kilo.
I was also presented with a few large ones for free at my school, now I understand why.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

We just bought 15 small pineapple at a local market for 20 baht. The low prices are the same with what we are selling, purely subsistence farming.

Subsistence farming is right indeed. Not that the city slickers and military in Bangkok care much about that. Whatever the military pretends to do is only tokenism.

2 baht a pineapple today. We bought 10 for 20 baht and will freeze then. Mangoes around here in Chiang Rai go for 15 a kilogram. Farmers revolution on the cards soon?

Doubt it, its a different fruit every few years...

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

This happens as there are no regulations... first there was an over supply of rice and the farmers realized that those growing pineapples were making money so then some rice farmers changed to grow pineapples and now instead there is an oversupply of pineapples.

I have seen this so many times in so many different aspects of business here in Thailand:
In a new built row of show houses a hairdresser opened, the next month another hairdresser opened in the other end of the row and after two months there were 3 hairdressers in one row of 7 shop houses... today there are no hairdressers left there as there were not enough customers around.
Two years ago there were two coffee shops around where I live, today one of them has closed but ten or twelve new has opened instead!

Basically the only thing most people around here seem to be able to do is to copy what others have done... as long as they have the money to do it!

Expect the same for melons, limes, etc...

On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 10:13 AM, SEEDGER said:

Perhaps Thais need to see what Farangs have to pay for Avocados and next year we can buy Avocados for 5 baht a piece!

paid 40 baht a kilo yesterday and expect prices to drop even more.