Britain's opposition Labour Party to force vote in parliament on pay cap

webfact

Britain's opposition Labour Party to force vote in parliament on pay cap

tag-reuters.jpg

A demonstrator demanding the government scrap the cap on nurses pay, stands outside the Department of Health, in central London, Britain June 27, 2017. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's opposition Labour Party will force a vote in parliament on Wednesday over a pay cap for public sector employees, the first test of whether Prime Minister Theresa May can muster enough lawmakers to rule.

May's botched gamble on a June 8 snap election lost her Conservative Party its majority in parliament, leading her to strike a deal on Monday with a small Northern Irish party to ensure she has enough votes to pass legislation in parliament.

May's party won 318 seats in the election so with the support of the Democratic Unionist Party's 10 lawmakers, she has a slender working majority in the 650-seat parliament.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, whose party has 262 lawmakers, said his party would submit an amendment to May's legislative plan in a an attempt to end cuts to the police and fire service and to give emergency and public sector workers a pay rise.

"Today will be the first vote of the new parliament, as Labour puts forward our amendment," Corbyn said in a statement. He added that May "has no majority, no mandate and no plan for our country."

"Labour is ready and waiting to form a government with the policies and the plan to build a country that works for the many, not the few," Corbyn said.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge, editing by Estelle Shirbon)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-28

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lets see if the tories and DUP vote down a pay rise for Fire, Police, Ambulance men. 

They get good saleries .and very good pensiones when they retire at what i would call a young age .i know an ex copper over here and he gets a very good pension and still way off 65

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, i claudius said:

They get good saleries .and very good pensiones when they retire at what i would call a young age .i know an ex copper over here and he gets a very good pension and still way off 65

That was then , not now in the age of austerity

It's politics - it pushes someone to stand up during the debate and claim that either they are already currently paid enough or that it is unaffordable just after pruning the magic money tree for the DUP.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Don't expect any surprises, Tories will always stick together like glue in their desire to cling to power. 7 years of austerity should be quite enough considering how the"" captain's of industry "" have been faring during this time.

18 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Good to hear the Tory MPs cheer when the voted down a payrise for the Emergency Services

To a man they must have been legless with delight in the Strangers' Bar last night. I can imagine the conversation: 

"No matter how hard we screw these dull witted idiots, no matter how much of their money we salt away in our offshore bank accounts, the hoi poloi still vote for us! We have found the magic money tree and we ain't giving it up!"

According to Corbyn, May has no mandate.  Well, someone should remind him that her party still managed 56 more MPs than his motley Labour crew.  Exactly with whom would he collaborate to form a Government?

As always in the past, Labour just wants to spend, spend, spend......other peoples' money. 

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

According to Corbyn, May has no mandate.  Well, someone should remind him that her party still managed 56 more MPs than his motley Labour crew.  Exactly with whom would he collaborate to form a Government?

As always in the past, Labour just wants to spend, spend, spend......other peoples' money. 

As opposed to the tories, who want to take your money and keep it for themselves and their powerful friends and donors. 

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

He could form a government with some of his Sinn Fein (IRA) buddies or even the that non terrorist group ISIS :coffee1:

Edited by Caps

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Would that be the Sinn Fein party then?

The party that has Gerry Adams and had Martin McGuiness from the IRA as politicians?

I did provide the link but, for you, I shall paraphrase -  the sectarian bigot leader of DUP met with the leader of unionist terrorist organisation 3 days after said terrorist organisation murdered someone, unfortunate enough not to be born into the religion of which the DUP approves, in front of his 3-year old son. 

On June 28, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Dave67 said:

That was then , not now in the age of austerity

Not so sure about that. I have a cousin in the UK who was a police Sargent, retired 5 yrs ago. Receives a large size pension. In addition was employed as a civilian by the police from the age of 50, until he retired this week. Best of luck to him and fellow coppers, they have to do a difficult job on occasions,  with their hands tied behind their backs, with no back up from their superior officers and politicians. 

image.jpeg

Edited by nontabury

17 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Not so sure about that. I have a cousin in the UK who was a police Sargent, retired 5 yrs ago. Receives a large size pension. In addition was employed as a civilian by the police from the age of 50, until he retired this week. Best of luck to him and fellow coppers, they have to do a difficult job on occasions,  with their hands tied behind their backs, with no back up from their superior officers and politicians. 

image.jpeg

I've seen Grandad just recently down in the West country. He's happy, he's got lots of grand children who adore him. Not like that Mrs May lady, always alone except for her Northern Irish nephews and nieces. Right spoilt brats they are, always asking Auntie for loads of money.

53 minutes ago, bannork said:

I've seen Grandad just recently down in the West country. He's happy, he's got lots of grand children who adore him. Not like that Mrs May lady, always alone except for her Northern Irish nephews and nieces. Right spoilt brats they are, always asking Auntie for loads of money.

I'm sure he's very popular with certain sections of the population. Though not so much with those who have experience of life, and who have  to pick up the bill.

image.jpeg

22 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I did provide the link but, for you, I shall paraphrase -  the sectarian bigot leader of DUP met with the leader of unionist terrorist organisation 3 days after said terrorist organisation murdered someone, unfortunate enough not to be born into the religion of which the DUP approves, in front of his 3-year old son. 

And just how many did the IRA murder?

I can remember seeing on, I think BBC TV many years ago when 2 soldiers made a wrong turn and got caught up in an  IRA funeral.

They were unable to get away and were dragged from their car, stripped and literally beaten to death.

Please do not assume that I am stupid because I am not. I disagree with you and detest both sides in that sectarian war which by the way, is still going on

The IRA murdered many many more civilian men and women, policemen and women and service men and women than anything that the DUP could ever match.

Both sides were bad but the IRA were by far the worst of the two.

The leaders of their party were and still are liked/friends (in a loose term) of Jeremy Corbyn.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I can remember seeing on, I think BBC TV many years ago when 2 soldiers made a wrong turn and got caught up in an  IRA funeral.

They were unable to get away and were dragged from their car, stripped and literally beaten to death.

Please do not assume that I am stupid because I am not. I disagree with you and detest both sides in that sectarian war which by the way, is still going on

The IRA murdered many many more civilian men and women, policemen and women and service men and women than anything that the DUP could ever match.

The leaders of their party were and still are liked/friends (in a loose term) of Jeremy Corbyn.

One of the ways to judge Corbyn,is to understand who his friends are.

image.jpeg

Of course it is still going on, otherwise there would not have been a mild ripple of reporting re: DUP / UDA links in the aftermath of the latter's recent terrorist attack.

I also deplore terrorism of all flavours, but I also deplore the sheer hypocrisy of those who have spent months and months criticising JC but are utterly mute when TM is not only climbing into bed with the DUP, but bribing them with taxpayers' money.

To a man they must have been legless with delight in the Strangers' Bar last night. I can imagine the conversation: 

"No matter how hard we screw these dull witted idiots, no matter how much of their money we salt away in our offshore bank accounts, the hoi poloi still vote for us! We have found the magic money tree and we ain't giving it up!"

Bit like Labour mps then Diane Abbott .Mandysbum etc

One of the ways to judge Corbyn,is to understand who his friends are.
image.jpeg.92ce2331de157f9be1d11c62459d922d.jpeg

In the interests of clarifying any potential ambiguity, do you also condemn the DUP as terrorism sympathisers over their close relationship with loyalist terrorists?

Similarly, any thoughts on the Scottish Tories openly courting the Orange Order, who were parading through the streets of Glasgow last weekend, singing songs glorifying the Irish potato famine?

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

In the interests of clarifying any potential ambiguity, do you also condemn the DUP as terrorism sympathisers over their close relationship with loyalist terrorists?

Similarly, any thoughts on the Scottish Tories openly courting the Orange Order, who were parading through the streets of Glasgow last weekend, singing songs glorifying the Irish potato famine?

It depends IF the DUP do have any sympathies with any terrorist organization , and if so to what extent.

IF the Orange Order did in fact sing any songs glorifying the potato famine, then certainly I would completely condemn it. I would also be very surprised, as many from the Loyalist communities died in that tragic event.

Regarding J Corbyn, he has on numerous occasions tried to distance himself from the IRA killers, or should I say in public. But what is the truth?  Watch and listen to the very end.

Edited by nontabury

It depends IF the DUP do have any sympathies with any terrorist organization , and if so to what extent.
IF the Orange Order did in fact sing any songs glorifying the potato famine, then certainly I would completely condemn it. I would also be very surprised, as many from the Loyalist communities died in that tragic event.
 Regarding J Corbyn, he has on numerous occasions tried to distance himself from the IRA killers, or should I say in public. But what is the truth?  Watch and listen to the very end.

Well I gave you the link to the article that confirmed that Arlene Foster met with the chief of the UDA less than 48 hours after their terrorists murdered a man in front of his toddler, so assuming you accept that the article is accurate, can we assume that you hold her in the same vein as you do JC?

Also worth noting that the UDA openly endorsed the DUP prior to the election. The response of the DUP was to say... thank you.

As for the Orange Order, there is video evidence - try googling the Famine Song and you should see footage from last weekend. It has apparently been reported to the Procurator Fiscal so hopefully we will see positive action soon.

The irony of Irish of Scottish extraction coming to Scotland to tell Scots of Irish extraction that, according to a Dutch king, they are not welcome in Scotland is as amazing as it is depressing.