Never Stop at an 'accident' at Night

Laab Muu

9 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

who is stupid enough to stop for an accident even in day time in thailand...

if I was not here I would not see it... so as soon I I have passed it,  it is already forgotten !

Nice guy.

Hopefully others will do the same for you someday. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Cisco said:

I once saw an accident happen right in front of me while waiting at a red light in Udon, a car clipped a motorbike in an illegal right of way move. With the women writhing on the ground in front of me, I instinctually got off my bike to lend assistance. Within seconds I was surrounded and held by a group of locals all pointing and angrily screaming at me, immediately assuming I was to blame.

I waited several anxious minutes until the woman could finally muster a response and indicate that it was not me! Thankfully she waved them off me. Before the days of CCTV,  I can imagine the mess I would have been in if she had not clearly responded.

Its a shame, as I will never stop to do the same again. Not worth it. Sadly, I'll just drive off next time.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine. He stopped to help a girl who had fallen off a motorbike. The police quickly arrived and the girl was happy for my innocent friend to take the blame leading to the police fining him and  insisting he paid her hospital bill!

It was a short video by some people who did a good job to wake up those who need to watch around out.

I'm not so sure the short movie was made to create awareness of the risks of 'stopping to help', rather it was simply a mini horror movie...

Perhaps the same guy could use his creative talents to make a video promoting the use of helmets, seatbelt, infant car seats, considerate driving... And, how stopping to help is the right the thing to do not the wrong thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

sad....very sad...due to the corruption and dishonesty of a bunch of thieves, society gets more suspicious....it will end of with people dying on Thai streets with no bystanders stopping to help....shocks our western attitudes where such accident scams are rare, but does happen a bit to often with the Thai boys in brown outfits and their golden wings, who condone straightforwardly "guilty"  the farang! Obviously cannot generalise, but it happens.

Edited by observer90210

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine. He stopped to help a girl who had fallen off a motorbike. The police quickly arrived and the girl was happy for my innocent friend to take the blame leading to the police fining him and  insisting he paid her hospital bill!

A dirty situation... But, your friend could have refused and seen it taken to court where they likely would have given up.
The police in these situations are by no means saints and often predatory, however, foreigners who easily become intimidated are often their own worst enemy in almost offering a path of no resistance towards a financial gain...

Stay firm, stay polite... Stay human and help, don't let a handful of scum change who you are...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My wife told me a story many years ago which really shocked me at the time.

A man from the next village crashed his pickup on the way home one night (probably drunk). He was badly injured and trapped in the vehicle. He was relieved when he saw some men emerge from the bushes, thinking that help had finally arrived. How wrong he was.

They sole everything. They took money from his pockets, and anything they could carry from his truck.   Then they just left him. 

52 minutes ago, samsingsong said:

Havent heard that one for at least a week! The old are the best. I always start laughing at the "a friend of mine" line.

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I always start laughing at the "a friend of mine" line.

Really? 

Why?

Don't you have any friends to tell you things?

I have only heard this story once. That was from my friend that it happened to.

It was about 12 years ago on Jomtien Beach Road. 

You must become amused very easily. I hope you find this post funny also.

Keep laughing.

5 hours ago, samsingsong said:

Really? 

Why?

Don't you have any friends to tell you things?

I have only heard this story once. That was from my friend that it happened to.

It was about 12 years ago on Jomtien Beach Road. 

You must become amused very easily. I hope you find this post funny also.

Keep laughing.

Kep your wig on. Ive heard this story and versions of it so many times. And yes i do find some of tbe comments on this page funny.

25 years ago I was stopped on the mountain above Kata Noi in Phuket late at night by a guy waving his arms around in the middle of the road. I stopped and he asked me to drive up a dirt track into the jungle to help a friend who'd had an accident - I may have been stupid to stop in the first place, but not that stupid, I told him I would phone the police and ambulance for help to be sent and drove off counting my blessings.

21 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

It's a government public information/warning film.

It can be viewed in the OP for most people.

I am really, really happy that you took so much time and effort to point this out to me.

Really.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, dingdongrb said:

I was informed years ago from a Thai friend that you never stop to assist at an accident. Even if you're not at fault but the person dies then the family will blame you for the death and demand money from you.

Same was true in Saudi. We were told never to stop to assist anyone, even if walking.

I formulated a policy many years ago not to stop near an accident and run to assist if I was the only person around. Stop some distance away, call for help, observe the scene to see if they move or people hiding at side of road. If looks clear approach cautiously and be ready to run back to car.

The vdo was a bit suspicious anyway. Not many people collapse in the road without a vehicle nearby.

18 hours ago, samsingsong said:

My wife told me a story many years ago which really shocked me at the time.

A man from the next village crashed his pickup on the way home one night (probably drunk). He was badly injured and trapped in the vehicle. He was relieved when he saw some men emerge from the bushes, thinking that help had finally arrived. How wrong he was.

They sole everything. They took money from his pockets, and anything they could carry from his truck.   Then they just left him. 

Near Thong Nai Pan Yai beach many years ago I slipped on the road and injured my leg at night. While I was lying in pain and bleeding on the road a motorcyclist stopped, looked at me and rode off. I always wondered if I'd been unconscious if he would have robbed me.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I am really, really happy that you took so much time and effort to point this out to me.

Really.

No problem, I appreciate the fact that some people need a little more help than others to make sense of things.

Really.

22 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Havent heard that one for at least a week! The old are the best. I always start laughing at the "a friend of mine" line.

12 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Kep your wig on. Ive heard this story and versions of it so many times. And yes i do find some of tbe comments on this page funny.

jeab1980, you are saying that you don't believe me. Your reply was unnecessary and offensive. If for no good reason somebody you don't know called you a liar. wouldn't your wig lift a little? 

29 minutes ago, samsingsong said:

jeab1980, you are saying that you don't believe me. Your reply was unnecessary and offensive. If for no good reason somebody you don't know called you a liar. wouldn't your wig lift a little? 

Who called you a liar not me.  I am saying exactly what i said in my post that story gets rolled out at least once a week with slight variations, if you Read my post it says i havent heard that one for a week. Nobody except you has mentioned the word liar. Offensive! Unnecessary! Get a grip of yourself there was mothing offensive anywhere except in your mind. Its was necessary as far as im concerned to make my point. No my wig would'nt  rise even a fraction if someone actually did call me a liar. Thin skinned are you. 

jeab1980, when you replied to my original post:

"Havent heard that one for at least a week! The old are the best. I always start laughing at the "a friend of mine" line.", you as good as said that you don't believe me, which would mean you think that I'm a liar. That was the only 'point' you made. I'm certain a lot of people would be offended by that, but you are proud of being 'thick skinned'. 

Unfortunately I'm not currently in Thailand. I'm working and too busy to bother with this anymore. So I'll let you have the last word.

I'm sure that's important to you.

This is why you should be careful should you see an 'accident' at night.

Um, ok. So we should be careful because you just put up a one liner in your post with nothing else whatsoever??? :saai::spamsign:

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Same was true in Saudi. We were told never to stop to assist anyone, even if walking.

I formulated a policy many years ago not to stop near an accident and run to assist if I was the only person around. Stop some distance away, call for help, observe the scene to see if they move or people hiding at side of road. If looks clear approach cautiously and be ready to run back to car.

The vdo was a bit suspicious anyway. Not many people collapse in the road without a vehicle nearby.

I had an interesting crash in Saudi, a clown in a knackered toyota pulled out right in front of me going the same way, clipped my brand new Volvo ( sorry but budget restrictions in force then) flew past me, spun, hit the central reservation and somersaulted coming to a stop on his roof. I stopped, dashed over the road and saw driver standing by the side of the car with wifeie in full black regalia still in the back. I tried to help her out but she shied away from me preferring I presume to be burned alive than touch an unclean " Howajah"

so i I returned to my car. Plod turned up asked me if my car was damaged and in finding no damage told me to go.

meanwhile wifeywas still upside down in the crashed car and screaming and wailing for help now she realised that she was in imminent danger of becoming a crispy  critter. Plod was unconcerned as was I at that point.

moral being you can only help those who want help but what the hell that has to do with this thread I am buggered if I know ( sorry chaps it's been a very long day today......)

1 hour ago, samsingsong said:

jeab1980, when you replied to my original post:

"Havent heard that one for at least a week! The old are the best. I always start laughing at the "a friend of mine" line.", you as good as said that you don't believe me, which would mean you think that I'm a liar. That was the only 'point' you made. I'm certain a lot of people would be offended by that, but you are proud of being 'thick skinned'. 

Unfortunately I'm not currently in Thailand. I'm working and too busy to bother with this anymore. So I'll let you have the last word.

I'm sure that's important to you.

I am not a last word charlie but i must reply to your drivel you need to grow some and stop spitting the dummy out. Go tell it to the marines. 

5 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

There's a video embedded for the non computer illiterate amongst us.:smile:

There's nothing embedded my friend, see attached screenshot image. And no, I'm not an old fart who's computer illiterate. FYI I'm know computers very well :)

Thai.JPG

20 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

No problem, I appreciate the fact that some people need a little more help than others to make sense of things.

Really.

pu·er·ile
ˈpyo͝orəl,ˈpyo͝orˌīl/
adjective

1. childishly silly and trivial.
    "you're making puerile excuses"
    synonyms: childish, immature, infantile, juvenile, babyish; 
    silly, inane, fatuous, jejune, asinine, foolish, petty
    "you're too old for these puerile outbursts"

13 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I am not a last word charlie but i must reply to your drivel you need to grow some and stop spitting the dummy out. Go tell it to the marines. 

pu·er·ile
ˈpyo͝orəl,ˈpyo͝orˌīl/
adjective

1. childishly silly and trivial.
    "you're making puerile excuses"
    synonyms: childish, immature, infantile, juvenile, babyish; 
    silly, inane, fatuous, jejune, asinine, foolish, petty
    "you're too old for these puerile outbursts"

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:
pu·er·ile
ˈpyo͝orəl,ˈpyo͝orˌīl/
adjective