Heads up with google maps in Thailand.

watcharacters

I recently visited a friend in Ban Chang.    I used Google Maps to navigate my way to his place which I  had never seen.   I had however been on the particular route I was taking and recognized the Buddha  image on the side of a hill.    I also remembered an intersection because of the funny traffic sign it had  6 years ago when I was there.    It had arrows pointing both left and right which struck me as humorous.    

Well this time  as I approached the same location the Maps app said turn right in 500 meters.    Then as I came closer it said "turn  right!"

I hesitated and sure enough it was a divided  four lane highway and  cars came along soon.    

All was well  but I wonder what the results could have been if someone had gotten the same instructions at 2:20  A.M.  when there may not have been any other vehicles in sight and it was pitch black.   Imagine, as well,  if the involved late night driver had had a few beers.

The app is mostly great but it should be given a bit of caution  I'd say while using.

P.S.   I rarely drive at night in Thailand and never if I don't know  my way there  from experience.

Edited by watcharacters

Sat navs of any kind are an aid to driving only. Always look at where it tells you to turn before turning. If unsure drive past it will soon re route itself.i find google maps and there sat nav very good here in Thailand.

I was looking at a map/aerial photo of our area yesterday. It was dated 2017. But I quickly noted that a large nearby building was shown as just having started construction. I asked some of the locals how long that building has been there. Replies ranged from "seven or eight years" to "many years".

42 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:

They only very recently added the double lane that you are referring to, so google maps will get a little confused when you get there.

As stated by jeab1980, It's a driving aid so you should use your own common sense as well.  

The good thing is with google maps there is a facility for you to add certain things like the ops new road via there update service.

Google maps sometimes get the road numbers wrong, ie heading out of Kanchanaburi towards Suphanburi the road number on Google maps is completely different to the road number an the signposts for that same road.

I use Google maps as I drive it continually updates me on traffic accidents, hold ups due to road works and offers me an alternative route. As it is a satellite app it seems to continually update as you drive. I know some apps that do not update work on out of date maps.

Recently friends stayed at my house. They had booked an inclusive travel package that included free transfer from BKK to HH and back. We live in a rural area but taxi found us with guidance from gf. Pick up taxi decided to use Google maps which took him a longer way but along a motorbike/4wd track. He got stopped about 200 mtr from house He turned around and ended up nose first in a drain.

There is a facility on maps to advise errors and I submitted details but its still marked as a through road.

20 minutes ago, ICECOOL said:

Recently friends stayed at my house. They had booked an inclusive travel package that included free transfer from BKK to HH and back. We live in a rural area but taxi found us with guidance from gf. Pick up taxi decided to use Google maps which took him a longer way but along a motorbike/4wd track. He got stopped about 200 mtr from house He turned around and ended up nose first in a drain.

There is a facility on maps to advise errors and I submitted details but its still marked as a through road.

They are slow to update sometimes waiting for more people to put the same correction in. 

As for the taxi driver again blindly following a sat nav is not recomended. Look before you leap.

I am using Google maps all the time. I have installed an Android multimedia system in my car, with GPS. This bigger gps sensor is more exact than the ones used in mobile phones. Even in Cities like Chiang Mai and Bangkok never have loss of signal. This Android system give much nore advantages like spotify, youtube, dvd. In fact all apps out of the google play store can be installed.

IMG20170527175917.jpg

3 hours ago, ICECOOL said:

it takes a long time, google maps sent me to a narrow soi when i was looking for a bus station, found the correct location, i advised google maps of the error and correct location but it took them over four months for them to contact me acknowledging the changes

29 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Google map shows police road blocks ?

If you had used it you would see a patch of red road ahead it could be a police check hence everybody slows down and satalite picks up a queing or stoped line of traffic. It could be anything but at least your prepared.

I used Waze for a short while the other night whilst driving down south from KK. Was told its better than google! Absolute rubbish soon went back to Google maps.

Edited by jeab1980