Re US expats: "Are you alive?" letter still not reached SSA after 2 weeks

I sent mine via  thai post registered mail route on June 14. It arrived in New York a week later and cleared US customs the next day on June 22. That was the latest update and it's been "in transit" ever since . Has the letter gone astray? What is the quick/best way to inquire:  US Post, SSA Manila, SSA USA? Thank you in advance for any advice/input.

SSA tracking.jpg

It's just strange that there has been no movement since it cleared customs last week. Usually even in transit there would be additional scanning/update when going onward from one location to another. 

Unless there were some delays in entering tracking data/clearing customs,  6 days from Suwannaphun Airport to JFK Airport seems like a long time....Thai Post must have used a blimp for air transport. :w00t: 

I have had extraordinary problems with mail to the US in the past year. A very important letter to Social Security with a deadline either did not arrive or was lost by SS. Missing the deadline created enormous problems. And like the Post Office, SS does not deal well with problems.

So the next time I had a very important letter to the US I registered it.  It arrived, but two months to the day after I mailed it.

Just unbelievable.

Edited by taxout

EMS is not guaranteed delivery like some of the private carriers (FedEx, dhl, ups).  But it is usually fast.  I've seen EMS package (documents envelope) take 1 week to clear customs in USA.  Tracking is also slow to update.  But it eventually gets there.

Add:  If it is that important, use private carrier to minimize problems.

Edited by 4evermaat
23 hours ago, smo said:

It's just strange that there has been no movement since it cleared customs last week. Usually even in transit there would be additional scanning/update when going onward from one location to another. 

If I recall correctly registered mail once it arrives in the states will not be updated until it is delivered. Then your get get proof delivery.

To the OP.  You've got lots of time before you need to worry.  From my own personal experience, if they haven't received the first report in 4 months, they will send out a second request in Oct.  If they haven't received that one in 4 months, they will then cut off your ss benefits in Feb. 

My report was sent on June 19.  As you can see, it wasn't received in NY for almost 2 weeks.  And what is funny is that it was sent from BKK the day before I actually mailed it.

registered mail.jpg

I received a letter from the IRS that was mailed from Texas, USA on May 15. The letter said I had 45 days from the above date to supply all requested information. The letterhead was dated Apr 3rd. The envelope had an overlapping postmark from "La Poste". Why it went through France I don't know.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Any update on the form being delivered to the SSA.

Unfortunately not, Joe. I signed up on June 30 for email alerts with USPS and they will notify me with any activities for the  next 2 weeks. It's been quiet and I just logged on to the USPS website itself, today being the day  July 5 back in the US ie the day after the 4 of July: there is no further update since the last one. Any suggestion what I should do next? thanks for checking. 

12 hours ago, smo said:

Any suggestion what I should do next?

Have you checked Thai Post tracking. Sometimes they update quicker that USPS.

If you don't get an update soon I suggest you send Thai Post a email  [email protected] . I sent a email (in English) to them once about a domestic EMS tracking not being updated and they got it sorted out.

subject document returned today via EMS to Wilkes Barre, PA...

thb1400!!! eeeyowww!!!

also gotta remember to bring passport as it's now required for EMS post...thai 5 year driver's license won't do...

tutsi limps back to his shophouse and shuts the door...brutalised by circumstances and the Social Security Administration...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you checked Thai Post tracking. Sometimes they update quicker that USPS.

If you don't get an update soon I suggest you send Thai Post a email  [email protected] . I sent a email (in English) to them once about a domestic EMS tracking not being updated and they got it sorted out.

Just checked thai post tracking, nada. Will send them an email by Monday if nothing happened in the meantime. Will keep you posted, thanks.

usps-logo.png

Shipment Activity

Date & Time

Delivered

WILKES BARRE, PA 18767

July 3, 2017 6:35 am

Arrived at Post Office

WILKES BARRE, PA 18701

July 3, 2017 6:18 am

Arrived at USPS Facility

SCRANTON, PA 18505

July 3, 2017 12:20 am

Processed Through Facility

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

July 1, 2017 1:30 pm

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTRE (SMC), THAILAND

June 27, 2017 12:18 pm

SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTRE (SMC), THAILAND

June 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Acceptance

THAILAND

June 26, 2017

Thank you for requesting a Proof of Delivery letter on your shipment.

Your Proof of Delivery letter is included in a PDF file attached to this email. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader software to view the PDF file. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free by going to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.

If you have additional questions on USPS Tracking® services and features or if you have difficulties viewing the attached file, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section of our USPS Tracking® site at http://www.usps.com/shipping/uspstrackingfaqs.htm for more information.

Attachment: Proof of Delivery letter (PDF)

The following is in response to your June 29, 2017 request for delivery information on
your Priority Mail Express® item number EEXXXXXXXXXXTH. The delivery record shows
that this item was delivered on July 3, 2017 at 6:35 am in WILKES BARRE, PA 18767 to
J WILK. There is no delivery signature on file for this item.
Thank you for selecting the Postal Service for your mailing needs. If you require
additional assistance, please contact your local Post Office or postal representative.
Sincerely,
United States Postal Service

12 hours ago, amvet said:

Thai Post Office June 26, it got to SS in PA July 3

You sent yours by EMS (express mail) for a fee of about 1400 baht. The OP sent his by registered mail that costs 93 baht.

There really no reason to rush it back to them. If they don't get it back 60 days from the date on the form they sent you they will send another one to you with 2nd notice printed on the top of the form.

On 7/6/2017 at 9:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

Any update on the form being delivered to the SSA.

I have just filed a claim with USPS. Got an auto reply claim confirmation from them. Let's see where this will lead...

USPSCLAIM5.jpg

On 7/7/2017 at 2:20 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

subject document returned today via EMS to Wilkes Barre, PA...

thb1400!!! eeeyowww!!!

also gotta remember to bring passport as it's now required for EMS post...thai 5 year driver's license won't do...

tutsi limps back to his shophouse and shuts the door...brutalised by circumstances and the Social Security Administration...

EMS arrived Wilkes Barre 11 July...

next time gonna do registered mail...

I just sent Hubby's by regular post.  If SSA doesn't receive it, they'll send him another letter in 60 days.  Then I'll get more proactive about how it's returned.  This strategy has worked OK in previous years and he's never received a second notice.

Only time he had a problem was when we moved across town, I emailed SSA Manila with change of address, they acknowledged receipt of the email and then failed to update his address.  Ever since then, I've been very careful to note when everyone else in Chiang Mai receives their "are you still alive" letters to be sure Hubby receives his.

I am in the same boat as the OP, mailing my SSA form by registered mail on June 19, and I have been following in his footsteps. Depending on what kind of response I get from the USPS, I may be filing a claim with the Thai post office.  My receipt says that there is a maximum claim I can make of $1,422 baht for lost registered mail. That should be lots of fun, but I do have an "assertive" Thai wife government officer who will be representing me. This will be the first time I am going to try this.

I have also been recording all my registered mail for the last two years, and of the 10 registered letters sent to the US, this is the 3rd one that has not been tracked to delivery.  That is a 30% failure rate, not a very good track record for the USPS. The 2nd one of those that did not show delivery was a US check to be deposited to my US bank account, but since it was indeed deposited to my account, I didn't follow up on filing a claim for that one.  I also did not file a claim for the 1st one, but that was what prompted me to start recording all this. 

For those who are interested, the quickest delivery was in 10 days, the longest was 22 days, and the average was 15 days. 

At this point I begin to think that the letter has not been lost, but as many have voiced on the thread, probably delivered but tracking has been neglected. Which unfortunately is the case these days with USPS. On another forum that deal with mostly members living in the states, I see people go through a lot of trouble tracking down their registered package, sure thing is to show up at your local post office and have a face to face encounter with the staff!

On the other hand, it seems EMS for the money that you pay, is more diligent in their tracking and therefore can provide you with the privilege of request for proof of delivery as shown by amvet's post. So this is what I feel like doing at this point: just assume my letter has arrived at SSA. If not comes September I will receive a 2nd notice, at which point I will get "proactive" and use EMS. I still wish that SSA has some way for us to check on their site that our DOA (dead or alive) letter has arrived, but that might be just wishful thinking on my part.

Edited by smo

I sent mine several weeks ago registered as usual. I have been doing it the same way for several years. I have never received confirmation that they received it. Hopefully if they did not get it, they will notify me.