Smelliest rice in Thailand?

cnxvegan

Hey all, I had this a few times back home, sometimes I would get a bag of rice that had an incredible smell and taste to it similar to popcorn , it was rare and seemed to vary by the batch, but it was the most incredible tasting rice I have ever had.

i have experienced it in basmati and jasmine, and a Australian brand I buy back home has this flavor too (koala rice), but it is very weak compared to what I have had

anywgo, given how much rice variety there is here, does anyone know of any rice that has the quality I'm looking for here?, currently I have tried pretty much every premium brand I can find, and none have any of that taste to them

any ideas?

What you are describing is really a long grain basmati rice. I have never found jasmine rice to be particularly fragrant but really good basmati definitely is. You can try Foodland as they have a nice (but small selection) of premium brands. I can't recommend any particular brand but the best way to tell is not to buy packaged rice as you never really know what you are getting but head out to a real wet/dry goods market where the rice is displayed and you can touch and smell what you are buying,

Yeah, it was basmati, I have had it in jasmine too though, back home I have tried many premium brands of basmati and none have had the strong taste, only time I got it was on bag of supermarket brand basmati