Need The Contacts For Helicopter Services In Phuket.

Lorin

Tried to call 2 of the helicopter service companies, Southern Flying Group at Tel: 076247-237/9 and Southern Helicopter Service Tel: 076216-389, both of them or changed phones or not exist anymore. Can someone help me on that issue? Thanks in advance.

Phoned both of the companies today morning. Helicam operating small video/photo helicopters only. HeliThai dont have helicopter available for that season. Anyone else here can point me at a possibility?

Edited by Lorin

Helicopters and general aviation seem to be a hard thing to do in this country.

I see a thai group are starting the second seaplane business down there, but still waiting on licences etc, but they are supposed to be a group of well connected avaition experienced thais.

Tried to call 2 of the helicopter service companies, Southern Flying Group at Tel: 076247-237/9 and Southern Helicopter Service Tel: 076216-389, both of them or changed phones or not exist anymore. Can someone help me on that issue? Thanks in advance.

What is your purpose for needing a chopper and when do you need it for? It is possible that Helithai may resume flying from January subject to demand.

What is your purpose for needing a chopper and when do you need it for? It is possible that Helithai may resume flying from January subject to demand.

I called HeliTHai and nice lady told me they have no flights. I need a chopper for private sight seeing on 30 or 31 January. If you connected to that company in any way and can help I would really appreciate it.

Edited by Lorin

• 3 weeks later...
Helicopters and general aviation seem to be a hard thing to do in this country.

I see a Thai group are starting the second seaplane business down there, but still waiting on licences etc, but they are supposed to be a group of well connected avaition experienced thais.

Yup, ###### right it’s hard. I’m a rotary pilot from the UK, who moved to Phuket two years ago. One of my ideas for a pocket money business was to bring my machine over and run sight-seeing trips around Phuket. What a bureaucratic impossibility!

With light aircraft it can be done, but helis are a no-no. OK, it’s possible if you operate from the airport, and have all Thai maintenance staff and pilots. I am only allowed to provide the money and hardware (so long as that’s HS-registered), but no way could I fly my own machine. There is no way to get a foreign rotary licence converted or even recognized here.

This is one of the many reasons I’m currently re-locating to KL, where I can fly choppers across beautiful jungle on my JAA licence without formality.

It's sad to see Thailand fall so far behind other countries in so many ways.

The only good news was that Thai import duty on helicopters is only 1%, which surprised me.

What machine have you got ??

I know somewhere that I would love to be based, but problem is being paid by your clients for charter, a greater percentage of which would be the government of the country. I think the last operator went broke there for the same or similar reasons.

To see Interview - Captain Nithit ‘Tong’ Kesangam, CEO of Destination Air Shuttle

go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=203355

To see Interview Pat James, Managing Director of Destination Air Shuttle, which will fly seaplanes to 45 sea sites along the Andaman Coast

go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=202737

What machine have you got ??

I know somewhere that I would love to be based, but problem is being paid by your clients for charter, a greater percentage of which would be the government of the country. I think the last operator went broke there for the same or similar reasons.

I don't think I'd be keen on working where I'd probably not be paid! Not sure where you're thinking of. I did look at Cambodia some time ago: doing tours around Angkor Wat. But the 'special fees' involved were ridiculous. I also saw a story in Rotor Torque about some guys who were running a similar outfit in Laos, where for each flight they had to pay for a Laotian military observer to be on board.

Nowadays, I have only a Robinson R22 2-seater, but I'd have upgraded to a 4-seat R44 with floats if I could have got things sorted here. Running an R44 is relatively very economical: money could have been made doing charter and tour work in the high season. Plus it would have been great fun.

I believe the other company or companies who tried in Phuket run twin turbine machines, where costs are astronomic.

Another of the rules here is that only twin-engined machines can overfly towns, or carry out 'pinnacle' landings (hotel rooftops etc). The latter even if the building is isolated, and there is a safe path in case of engine failure on approach or departure. The home I'm building in Haat Surin has an absolutely ideal flat roof, and I'd intended to stick my R22 on top as an occasional decoration :o , but no way! It won't happen now.

It's sad that the local government is allegedly trying to make Phuket a 'High end' resort, but won't even allow a few helicopters for goodness sake. What chance have they got?

I just watched the news clip.

The idea of a seaplane is a great idea. Jolly good luck to them!

I’m intrigued that they got around the ‘Thai pilots only’ requirement. I heard the regulations allow an exception if no local captains are available, which is probably the case for this unusual a/c type.

Once some Thais become type-rated does that mean the farangs are no longer permitted to fly? I wonder.

Well, several have tried the s3aplane deal before, perhaps this time it might work.

I would love to do Vanuatu, but the old operator there had huge problems with being paid by the government.

Agree with you about phuket, thought about it myself some time ago. I thought the guys that were starting down there last year had a longranger ready to go, then nothing heard from them again.

Anyway, really this country is developing into the country better to do nothing in except visit.