Trash Hero Phuket needs volunteers!

hitthegroundrunning

Trash Hero Phuket, part of Trash Hero World, which is a non-profit organization that arranges beach cleans throughout the world, is looking for two committed organizers to attend to and to organize weekend beach cleans once every two months. This is a voluntary position.

We have been cleaning beaches in Phuket since August 2016 and have picked up over four tonnes of trash. At present we clean one beach every weekend, rotating from north to south. One organizer does the northern beaches, two organizers will do the central beaches and one organizer will do the southern beaches. This means any interested organizer will only do on average of one clean every eight weeks.

Your main responsibility will be to organize, promote and attend the cleans. Cleans normally take no nore than two hours, on a Saturday or Sunday. You will be expected to take merchandise, water, bin bags and gloves, so a car is necessary.

We must stress that we are looking for committed individuals only, who are able to organize cleans for the next six months.

In return for your commitment, you help us reduce the damage caused by plastic pollution on marine and coastal ecosystems and you help set an example by educating and inspiring others to take action.

Please message us through our Facebook page to apply and to ask for more info (www.facebook.com/trashherophuket).

Thanks. 

9 hours ago, johng said:

Unless they provide a work permit there is every possibility
of being arrested for illegal working....remember the Tsunami volunteers ?

None of the tsunami volunteers got arrested.

Maybe you or one of the others here can point to one of the Trash Hero Phuket volunteers that got arrested, or even taken to the station?

None of the tsunami volunteers got arrested.

Maybe you or one of the others here can point to one of the Trash Hero Phuket volunteers that got arrested, or even taken to the station?

The Tsunami volunteers where threaten with arrest and told in no uncertain terms that if they wanted to carry on "working" then they would have to aquire work permits.

Just because the authorities turn a blind eye to IMHO misguided foreigners clearing up mostly Thai made trash on Thai beaches for free
while it should be the Thai "government" doing the cleanup
doesnt mean they can't or won't change their mind in a blink of an eye.
Of course anyone who wants to volunteer its entirely "up to you"

Whilst it's a great initiative, I simply do not trust the authorities here to look past an opportunity to extort a baht, and see the common sense behind some rubbish collection, for no payment.

Here's one article, of many, where volunteers were threatened with enforcement. 

It states: “If our officers, police officers or immigration police learn [of foreign volunteers] who don’t have work permits, the maximum penalty is three years in jail, a 30,000 baht fine [or both],” he warned.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tsunami-volunteers-warned-work-permits/4057

Is this risk of arrest, fine, incarceration, and deportation, worth picking up some rubbish in this backward, and highly corrupt, province of Thailand???? 

One only has to remember the Russian women who was arrested for feeding the fish recently.

On 7/1/2017 at 1:49 PM, hitthegroundrunning said:

We have been cleaning beaches in Phuket

You're doing a great free service to the Phuket Community and visitors. But obviously not permanently solving the problem of trash on the beaches. If these beaches are within the jurisdiction of Phuket, you are empowering the authorities to ignore their public responsibility to address the trash problem.

Phuket has the financial and legal means to stop beach trashing and attend to its care. Such actions are in the economic interest of the city and lifestyle of its residents. Your efforts do not hold Phuket accountable.

You have shown Phuket through your volunteer efforts what can result through thoughtful care of Phuket beaches. But now it might be worthwhile for counter-effect to suspend your volunteer efforts so that Phuket might appreciate the value of your efforts commensurate with its authority to govern Phuket's beaches.

After 27 years here, I never see Western tourists throwing garbage on the roads or beaches, its the local population and visitors fom the Middle Kingdom who actively do so. They throw their bottles, bags, wrappers wherever. For years they have used Int'l school kids to clean up, but that's wrong. With the enormous tax receipts, hire people to teach kids and adults to stop destroying the very environment from which they make a living, and get  them to clean up their own rubbish. 

23 minutes ago, Familyaffairs said:

After 27 years here, I never see Western tourists throwing garbage on the roads or beaches, its the local population and visitors fom the Middle Kingdom who actively do so. They throw their bottles, bags, wrappers wherever. For years they have used Int'l school kids to clean up, but that's wrong. With the enormous tax receipts, hire people to teach kids and adults to stop destroying the very environment from which they make a living, and get  them to clean up their own rubbish. 

I  completely  agree. We walk each morning in the newish 'fitness' park at the south end of Kata Beach.  We see eating containers, plastic bottles, plastic bags from the night before. We always pick this litter up as it offends us. There are plenty of rubbish bin around the park. What amazes me if that the security 'guards' never think to pick up the trash as they walk by .... sigh sigh 

My wife and I picked up over three bags of trash on Nai Harn Beach each day for the past two days. We encouraged a few others by doing so and they joined us! I found a 2 liter oil bottle and it was full of baby tropical fish, which we returned to the ocean. An idiot Chinese tourist didn't help, but took a video!!! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You need a work permit even to do volentary work here . Hence you pay tax and your doing it for free welcome to los

I've lived at the beach all my life. I'd rather pick a bit of it than look or swim into it. Not too big on swimming into plastic bags! I am not volunteering to any group, but people see my Thai wife and I are at least making an effort and they think a bit more about leaving their trash and some pitch in and find an old plastic bag and fill it! I've been here 12 years and never had an issue like you suggest...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

I've lived at the beach all my life. I'd rather pick a bit of it than look or swim into it. Not too big on swimming into plastic bags! I am not volunteering to any group, but people see my Thai wife and I are at least making an effort and they think a bit more about leaving their trash and some pitch in and find an old plastic bag and fill it! I've been here 12 years and never had an issue like you suggest...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

An farang individual, and his wife, picking up some rubbish, probably not much of a chance of coming under notice.

A loosely organized group of farang doing the same, well, they run the risk.

Is the risk worth the consequences????

Archived