The poisonous Brother in Law

Rc2702

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well the question wasn't put to you and the person it was has answered and it was 3 brother in-law,  he got himself into that position so up to him to get himself out.

another 1 for the blocked list .........

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for your question.

I worked as an agency nurse at first and then became a full time NHS employee.

As an agency nurse my pay was significantly higher than as an employee, as it should be. The hospital paid the agency fee, not me.

The benefit of working for the NHS was that I got subsidized housing in London, beside the hospital. As an agency nurse I had to live 1 1/2 hours travel away from work. Three hours in a tube train every day was a bummer. Paid holidays was also a sweetener. On balance, with the subsidized housing and being able to work penal hours, it probably worked out slightly less financially, but far better for my lifestyle.

No, I trained elsewhere and came fully qualified to the UK, so my training cost them zero. Now it is university based training, I doubt it is "free", which is why it is hard to get enough British nurses now. The return of employment in the NHS on cost of training is not worth it.

Poaching trained nurses from poor African countries is in itself a scandal, but I doubt the NHS managers care, as long as they can get bodies willing to be underpaid for what they are expected to do.

In case you are wondering why I chose to work for a poor wage, it was better than the pittance I was being paid in home country, and more holidays than home country, so I had longer each year in LOS.

Very interesting comment.

Thanks for clearing up the agency pay structure, but as a cost to the NHS you have to include the fees not just your higher wage.

(I would thing some others doing the same job for less might have been resentful don't you think?)

Also the "perks" you got as an NHS employee also come from government funds paid for by the tax payer.

So, you were trained in your home country, but came to work in the UK for more money, holidays etc. You can hardly blame others for doing the same from elsewhere.

I agree the "University" qualifications now needed and the cost of fees implemented by New Labour in the England in 1998 has resulted in a serious decline in the number of people wanting to be nurses in the UK. It was a mistake, among many others Tony Bliar and "no more boom and bust" Brown that sent the UK to war and almost bankrupted the country.

I have no problem with the many thousands of dedicated medical professional workers. But the funding has to be sorted out.

I said before I could go on and on, but I hope you get my drift.

George.

14 hours ago, oldhippy said:

In Thailand many relations fail NOT because of wrong choice of partners, but because of family. (not only BiL)

You may want to read post #1.

And the follow up posts.

S#1t happens wherever you are. I had an American girlfriend in the UK, but her family just drove me crazy. That caused the split.

I had got away from my own family problems, and getting into a worse situation was not in my plan for a happy life.

She was a lovely girl in all ways, but I have no regrets.

:violin:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Very interesting comment.

Thanks for clearing up the agency pay structure, but as a cost to the NHS you have to include the fees not just your higher wage.

(I would thing some others doing the same job for less might have been resentful don't you think?)

Also the "perks" you got as an NHS employee also come from government funds paid for by the tax payer.

So, you were trained in your home country, but came to work in the UK for more money, holidays etc. You can hardly blame others for doing the same from elsewhere.

I agree the "University" qualifications now needed and the cost of fees implemented by New Labour in the England in 1998 has resulted in a serious decline in the number of people wanting to be nurses in the UK. It was a mistake, among many others Tony Bliar and "no more boom and bust" Brown that sent the UK to war and almost bankrupted the country.

I have no problem with the many thousands of dedicated medical professional workers. But the funding has to be sorted out.

I said before I could go on and on, but I hope you get my drift.

George.

Couple of responses. They had to have agency nurses because they paid full time staff so poorly and treated them so badly that it was impossible to staff the wards, so their own fault they had to use higher paid agency nurses. They benefited by not having to pay sick leave or holidays.

The ones doing the job for less understood that and were grateful for the help. I never had any resentment for that towards me or felt it to agency nurses when I was full time.

The tax payer has been getting a great deal for decades, regardless of any "perks" nurses might have got. I don't remember getting any state perks anyway. The only ones we got were paid for by the consultants.

It it were a predominantly male occupation the state would have to pay the same as for higher paid workers like policemen and firemen. It doesn't because women won't strike and will work for less than they are worth. In my hospital even when told they would be demoted ( meaning eventually less money ) en mass, they wouldn't strike, preferring to be martyrs.

I only left my home country because the wages were so abysmally low that there was no future in it. Most nurses were married and subsidized by their husbands.  Back when I started there were hardly any male nurses. It wasn't a male occupation because it just didn't pay enough.

Having spent so much time and effort and loss of income, I didn't want to give it away and do something else, so I went where I would get more income for my skills. Why would anyone with integrity allow themselves to be so shamefully exploited by the state?

I wasn't subsidized by the state for my training. I worked on the wards for student wages for 3 years.

BTW, if I had known the real story, I'd have gone to the UK to do my training, as it was still in hospital then. There is so much more opportunity to do other than ward work there. Back home, I was stuck in a ward, as we had to wait for someone to retire before getting a position in theatre or ICU.

I did mention the extra holidays, but I didn't even know that till I started working for the NHS, so it wasn't the reason.

I don't blame anyone from a third world country going to the UK to get better wages, but the shame of it is that if the UK paid what nurses were worth, they wouldn't have to take nurses from 3rd world countries, with a completely different culture.

If the cost is too high, they could solve that tomorrow. Go back to enrolled nurses and in hospital training. The move to university training and all registered nurses has been a disaster, that no one outside nursing would know about.

21 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

You have attached yourself to this thread and yet we know nothing of what you claim to have done or experienced.

Strange that. I'm wondering if your reluctance to contribute actual experiences is down to something?

Not one sniff of a personal example or experience from you from page 1 until now and you wonder why you get ignored.

90% of your comments apear the same way a cowardice thug gets a kick in the ribs on his victim once he is downed by other thugs.

The recent posts turn a corner and then you go backwards, you do it a lot but still not an inkling of experience to share.

Very odd behaviour.

Strange that you do not comment on the reasons why i think that blocking someone is rather infantile. If i would block the people who post comments not to my liking, there would be practically nothing to read.

Furthermore, is there a rule which states that my experiences should be shambolic in order for me to post on here ?

I only symphatize with posters who are, according to me, sincere and consistent in writing about their woes/predicaments. Simply blaming the thais without stating about their own mistakes made, simply does not do it for me.

We are a nation of people which is just and honest, i saw a thai woman speaking on tv. No need to say more about the awareness of thais related to self.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't blame anyone from a third world country going to the UK to get better wages, but the shame of it is that if the UK paid what nurses were worth, they wouldn't have to take nurses from 3rd world countries, with a completely different culture.

If the cost is too high, they could solve that tomorrow. Go back to enrolled nurses and in hospital training. The move to university training and all registered nurses has been a disaster, that no one outside nursing would know about.

Again, all interesting stuff, and I've heard much of this said by my friends working in the NHS.

Trouble is it all boils down to bad management and the funding system. I quoted your last two paragraphs as they really are the crux of the failure of the NHS.

Without a complete shake up, which cannot happen as it is political dynamite, all they can do is throw more and more money into the fire.

It is good work for overseas workers though (like yourself), and I expect the supply will not diminish, but they still need qualifications/visas as required of course.

We are a long way off topic now though.

All the best, G

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Again, all interesting stuff, and I've heard much of this said by my friends working in the NHS.

Trouble is it all boils down to bad management and the funding system. I quoted your last two paragraphs as they really are the crux of the failure of the NHS.

Without a complete shake up, which cannot happen as it is political dynamite, all they can do is throw more and more money into the fire.

It is good work for overseas workers though (like yourself), and I expect the supply will not diminish, but they still need qualifications/visas as required of course.

We are a long way off topic now though.

All the best, G

Gordon Brown threw 6 billion quid into it, and it made no difference. The management, IMO, are the problem, as in my experience they never ventured into the workplace, had no idea of the reality, and probably didn't care as long as they were all right, Jack. Certainly, the manager of the hospital I worked at for 10 years was invisible and incompetent.

The politicians would rightly be too scared to make the requisite changes, so IMO it is going to be unsustainable and will collapse for financial reasons.

The hospital I worked at was blatantly angling to become more private than public, and the management would no doubt in my mind want to go fully private, so they could become very rich. The consultants already are, as they have their private patients.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Gordon Brown threw 6 billion quid into it, and it made no difference. The management, IMO, are the problem, as in my experience they never ventured into the workplace, had no idea of the reality, and probably didn't care as long as they were all right, Jack. Certainly, the manager of the hospital I worked at for 10 years was invisible and incompetent.

The politicians would rightly be too scared to make the requisite changes, so IMO it is going to be unsustainable and will collapse for financial reasons.

The hospital I worked at was blatantly angling to become more private than public, and the management would no doubt in my mind want to go fully private, so they could become very rich. The consultants already are, as they have their private patients.

As long as their is an inbalance between humanity and capitalism these problems will never go away. 

Lack of sustainable vision from the political top, the power of insurance companies and sticking to the core basics of the duties by all staff in hospitals will keep this shambles in place. 

Time to go back to basics.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

All the best, G

I just remembered something I meant to mention to you from a long way back on this thread, you said you were a Hawkwind fan, my location is

If I previously posted this apologies, getting older gets in the way  ..........

hall-of-the-mountain-grill.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wish you hadn't mentioned sausage rolls- can't find them here, along with tomato relish, powdered tomato soup or tinned spaghetti, all things I miss. Seems strange though, as they sell powdered mushroom soup and baked beans in tins in Big C.

Anyway, good to know that things are getting better, if slowly. Appreciate the NHS while it's still there, and don't forget to say thank you to any staff that help you. It's much appreciated by them.

Yes,there is a "Bakers Delight" very close to the hospital which poses some interesting moral conundrums to those of us with poor tickers..

Meat pies,Cornish pasties,sausage rolls,custard tarts..but to get to the counter you have to climb over all the comatose diabetics..Never mind,extreme ruthlessness is called for..

I am certainly very thankful for what the health service-all staff-have done for me and have told them so both verbally and on their written survey.A great bunch.

• Like 2