Eight wounded in shooting near French mosque - newspaper

webfact

Eight wounded in shooting near French mosque - newspaper

(Reuters) - Eight people were wounded in a shooting in front of a mosque in the southern French city of Avignon in an incident police consider to be a settling of scores rather than a militant attack, regional newspaper La Provence reported on Monday.

Reuters was unable to immediately confirm the report, which cited a judicial source as saying police are "not at all treating it as terrorist related" and suspected instead a dispute between youths.

The newspaper also cited witnesses as saying that one of two gunmen with their faces covered had fired shots around at 10:30 p.m. as people were coming out of the mosque before the two fled the site.

The incident comes after a man was arrested on Thursday after trying to drive a car into a crowd in front of a mosque in the Paris suburb of Creteil in an incident in which no one was injured.

France is on high security alert following a series of militant attacks in recent years.

(Reporting by Leigh Thomas in Paris; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-03

From what is reported, it sounds like a settling of scores, so it does not sound racial in nature and it is not being portrayed as terrorism, so the race/religion of those involved seems not to be the motivation for the shooting.  

1 hour ago, Scott said:

From what is reported, it sounds like a settling of scores, so it does not sound racial in nature and it is not being portrayed as terrorism, so the race/religion of those involved seems not to be the motivation for the shooting.  

But, apparently, for the bigots posting here, just so long as it's muslim people being shot it's ok.

Edited by ilostmypassword

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

But, apparently, for the bigots posting here, just so long as it's muslim people being shot it's ok.

Sir,

Go to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Yemen, Iran, Afghanistan, or any other cesspit ending in stan, live there for a while, and believe me, you will soon learn who are the true bigots. 

big·ot

/ˈbiɡət/

noun

• 1.a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions:"don't let a few small-minded bigots destroy the good image of the city"synonyms:chauvinist, partisan, sectarian, racist, sexist, ... more

Powered by Oxford Dictionaries

3 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Do we know whether it was a Muslim against Muslim shooting incident?  There could have been white supremacists involved.  

You mean as opposed to could have been Sunni, Shi'ite or Radical Moslem supremacists involved?

1 minute ago, AhFarangJa said:

Sir,

Go to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Yemen, Iran, Afghanistan, or any other cesspit ending in stan, live there for a while, and believe me, you will soon learn who are the true bigots. 

big·ot

/ˈbiɡət/

noun

• 1.a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions:"don't let a few small-minded bigots destroy the good image of the city"synonyms:chauvinist, partisan, sectarian, racist, sexist, ... more

Powered by Oxford Dictionaries

I wasn't aware that there was also a cartel that controlled the world's entire supply of bigotry. Thanks for the info.

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

I wasn't aware that there was also a cartel that controlled the world's entire supply of bigotry. Thanks for the info.

Not sure that was the point the poster made. 

He/she was suggesting that certain countries, all of which happen to be Moslem, have very little or no tolerance for others views, believes, etc.

Is your attempt at ridiculing his post an admission that you don't have a valid argument against it? Or are you claiming that those countries mentioned aren't bigots and are tolerant of other views?

17 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Not sure that was the point the poster made. 

He/she was suggesting that certain countries, all of which happen to be Moslem, have very little or no tolerance for others views, believes, etc.

Is your attempt at ridiculing his post an admission that you don't have a valid argument against it? Or are you claiming that those countries mentioned aren't bigots and are tolerant of other views?

I'm saying that no country or people or religion has a monopoly on bigotry. As some of the posters here have amply proved.

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

I'm saying that no country or people or religion has a monopoly on bigotry. As some of the posters here have amply proved.

That's true. Bigotry, racism, sexism, propensity to lie, murder, steal, rape are not confined by race, religion, beliefs or sexuality. Stereotyping itself is therefore bigotry in context.

However, some countries, like the US, UK, France, Germany, most other modern EU nations, Canada, Australia, NZ do try, by legislation to create a society that allows free speech, and prevents bigotry and discrimination; and is tolerant of other believes.

That cannot be said for the countries named by the poster in his example. There may be other non Muslim countries that act similarly. NK springs to mind.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

That's true. Bigotry, racism, sexism, propensity to lie, murder, steal, rape are not confined by race, religion, beliefs or sexuality. Stereotyping itself is therefore bigotry in context.

However, some countries, like the US, UK, France, Germany, most other modern EU nations, Canada, Australia, NZ do try, by legislation to create a society that allows free speech, and prevents bigotry and discrimination; and is tolerant of other believes.

That cannot be said for the countries named by the poster in his example. There may be other non Muslim countries that act similarly. NK springs to mind.

What's really sad is that people who invoke the bigotry of those nations in regard to this story seem incapable of understanding that this invocation is just a deflection that turns attention away from their own bigotry.

I might be classed as a bigot, but I am a proud Christian, born raised, ans will die a Christian.    I have my opinions, that others do not agree with, and I use some strong words against some people that  I do not agree with.  I certainly will not agree with any living ISIL, ISIS, or IS styled terrorists. I do not agree with people of Muslim back ground who have come to my country and have brought their garbage with him. such as their strong Muslim beliefs that include, men beating their wives, or forcing them to wear the drab Muslim veils and clothing. As well as the Muslims that have come to my country and are now asking for Sharia law for their part of the city, etc.  I guess I might be a racist as well, as it would look like I am against all Muslims, and I am not as I have Muslim, (moderate Muslim) relatives.  If these eight people

were Muslims and shot at each other, fine, if they were Christians and shot at each other also fine. The fact that some were coming from a Mosque, leads me to think that at least some of those

involved were Muslim, also fine.

Geezer

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I might be classed as a bigot, but I am a proud Christian, born raised, ans will die a Christian.   I have my opinions, that others do not agree with, and I use some strong words against some people that  I do not agree with.  I certainly will not agree with any living ISIL, ISIS, or IS styled terrorists. I do not agree with people of Muslim back ground who have come to my country and hav brought their garbage with him. such as their strong Muslim beliefs that include, men beating their wives, or forcing them to wear the drab Muslim veils and clothing. As well as the Muslims that have come to my country and are now asking for

Sharia law for their part of the city, etc.  I guess I ight be a racist as well, as it would look like I am against all Muslims, and I am not as I have Muslim, (moderate Muslim) relatives.  If these eight people were Muslims and shot at each other, fine, if they were Christians and shot at each other also fine. The fact that some were coming from a Mosque, leads me to think that at least some of those involved were Muslim, also fine.

Geezer

Sooooo...you are a proud Christian and you have something against strong Muslim- believes like it being okay to beat your wife!

Fine!

Have you read the bible part, where you have to stone your children, if they disobey you?

Where your wife has to sleep in the garden, if she is on her period?

Where you should kill your neigbor, if he works on the Sabbath?

Just because you nitpick the parts in your holy book, doesn't mean, that there is not some #@$%^& up 5h!t in your cult for your imaginary friend in the sky!

31 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I have read the new and old King James Bibles, and I do not believe that it says you have to stone anyone.

Give me the chapter and verse please.  Are you a Christian?

Geezer

Leviticus 24:16

16 Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

The Bible also says you can sell your daughters into slavery. And kill your children if they curse you.

Sure you didn't read the child's version?

Edited by ilostmypassword

Oh and that does not say about having to stone your child.  But is that what you read into it.  In Canada a Muslim took a hockey stick to his wife, then said that he did not know it was against the law in Canada to beat your wife. Pathetic.  But this Muslim man will not

get deported, No indeed he just made the news is all

Geezer

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Oh and that does not say about having to stone your child.  But is that what you read into it.  In Canada a Muslim took a hockey stick to his wife, then said that he did not know it was against the law in Canada to beat your wife. Pathetic.  But this Muslim man will not

get deported, No indeed he just made the news is all

Geezer

Off topic, but maybe Mods will permit a reply.

Have a read of the overview of the stats of violence against women in Canada e.g.

Approximately every six days, a woman in Canada is killed by her intimate partner. Out of the 83 police-reported intimate partner homicides in 2014, 67 of the victims—over 80%—were women.

http://www.canadianwomen.org/facts-about-violence

The level of domestic violence In Western countries is appalling, the vast majority of incidents would be by non Muslims, including non Muslim migrants, with relatively minimal reporting in the media - please get some perspective.

Edited by simple1