Thai police spokesman says Belgian tourist died from suffocation

38 minutes ago, sambum said:

Oh, yeah?

According to the Public Health Ministry of Thailand, 4,000 Thai people commit suicide each year.

Broken hearts and family-related issues were the top reasons for Thais to commit suicide, with a monthly average of 300 per month or 4,000 cases every year. That figure makes it the country with the third-most suicides in the world, according to Public Health Ministry spokesman and psychiatrist Dr Yongyuth Wongpiromsan.

Thailand is ranked 46th for suicides in one report and Belgium is  23rd

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, sambum said:

Oh, yeah?

According to the Public Health Ministry of Thailand, 4,000 Thai people commit suicide each year.

Broken hearts and family-related issues were the top reasons for Thais to commit suicide, with a monthly average of 300 per month or 4,000 cases every year. That figure makes it the country with the third-most suicides in the world, according to Public Health Ministry spokesman and psychiatrist Dr Yongyuth Wongpiromsan.

Unsurprisingly the UK, same size population as Thailand, tops that by 50%- around 6,000 suicides a year.

31 minutes ago, Lamar said:

Several members of this forum regularly report that the young woman was cremated in haste and without family agreement; This is absolutely not what the family (mother, brother and aunt) said to the press, what the contrary! 

The mother stated that she had not received the autopsy report, which she had claimed several times; On the other hand, the fact that the body had been incinerated was mentioned in the press; The mother also complained that apparently no photographs had been taken by the police of the body at the place of death.

As neither the Police nor the Justice Thaie had warned the press, and the mother did not believe in the suicide thesis given by the police, she took the initiative to contact the local press ("Samui Times "and" Der Farang ") and posting on social networks (especially on the Facebook page of the sect) to ask for help in researching what really happened to her daughter.

On the basis of these elements, some TV members have conclued that the police would have cremated the body hastily and without the family, or even that there would not be any autopsy! But this is completely wrong!

- An autopsy was  performed in Surat Thani Hospital and later by the Institute of Forensic Medicine Police Hospital, Bangkok. (Contact person was Colonel Phawat Pratheepvisaroot sein). (Samui Times, July 04)

- The body was identified from radios of her teeth, sent by the mother in Thailand. (Samui Times, Jul 04 + La Meuse* , June 29)

- The mother and father of Elise Dallemagne attended the cremation of their daughter, which took place in Bangkok on May 11th (14 days after her remains were found). They returned to Belgium with the ashes of the deceased. (Samui Times, Jul 04 + La Meuse*, June 29) 

- A mass was held on May 22 at the Saint-Etienne church in Rixensart (near Brussels). (La Meuse*, June 29) 

(*) The Meuse is a well-known French-speaking Belgian daily newspaper, which contacted Elise's aunt in the absence of her parents (I presume already left on the spot in Thailand).

Why wasn't her death reported in May in a Newspaper?

22 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Bullcrap.  Petechial hemorrhaging, ligature marks, fingernail scrapings all the first things to look for and easy to find.

the old pillow case over the mouth is pretty hard to detect without a proper post mortem.  It is fairly easy to avoid ligature, fingernail wounds etc

21 hours ago, timewilltell said:

One has to ask the question why the police in Thailand are always in such a rush to cremate the bodies in these cases - especially of tourists where there are relatives that need time to get here and the fact that the investigations should be even more thorough given they are dealing with foreign citizens where the Embassy should take a keen interest in checking the facts and the police be as transparent as possible.  The fact that the opposite is the fact is highly suspicious I'd say.

Can't the mother/father sue for the cremation of their daughter's body without their permission???

If the mother could confirm that she was suicidal , or mentally ill , it would be a lot easier to accept that this actually was a suicide.  We have news reports about her suicide attempt the 4th of April .  

But so far the mother only been interviewed once mentioning her daughter would never do such a thing,  So unless the family will make another statement this will continue to be a mystery . 

13 minutes ago, Elfin said:

Can't the mother/father sue for the cremation of their daughter's body without their permission???

The cremation was with the permission of the parents (mother and father), who attented the ceremony that took place on May 11th in Bangkok. It was not in a rush: it was 14 days after the remains was found and after 2 autopsies were performed. Please, read my post above (# 149).

23 minutes ago, balo said:

If the mother could confirm that she was suicidal , or mentally ill , it would be a lot easier to accept that this actually was a suicide.  We have news reports about her suicide attempt the 4th of April .  

But so far the mother only been interviewed once mentioning her daughter would never do such a thing,  So unless the family will make another statement this will continue to be a mystery . 

Can you positively affirm the previous suicide attempt.

I have a report where the Hospital released Elise after 4 days. Would appear strange that they would let her go if she was suicidal.

43 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Why wasn't her death reported in May in a Newspaper?

Simply because neither the police nor the justice informed the press! It was not until the mother of the victim contacted the local press! (Samui Times and Der Farang). The simplest assumption that can be made is that the authorities have tried to prevent the reputation of a tourist place from being tarnished even more by a new macabre event.

3 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Can you positively affirm the previous suicide attempt.

I have a report where the Hospital released Elise after 4 days. Would appear strange that they would let her go if she was suicidal.

rockingrobin- if you have the time please watch the enclosed video- it demonstrates the unpredictability of many suicides.

22 minutes ago, bannork said:

How on earth would any of us know?!

Someone was linking to a German news source here about her suicide attempt. Maybe it was in the old thread that was closed. 

8 minutes ago, balo said:

Someone was linking to a German news source here about her suicide attempt. Maybe it was in the old thread that was closed. 

The report says, Elise was disorientated and disturbed.\

Discharged from the hospital as normal after 4 days

1 hour ago, balo said:

Sunday 02 June, the Police made an official statement about this alleged suicide attempt. According to the police, this suicide attempt took place on April 4th at the Nopphawong railway station, Bangkok. Elise would have attempted to kill herself by throwing herself under a moving train. She would have been saved by the action of passers-by with the help of railway police . She was then sent to the Somdet Chaopraya Institute of Psychiatry for treatment. She later travelled to Koh Tao.

There appears to be no record of this event in the press. Thais citizens who save the life of a young Western woman in distress, that would have made a good headline.

In that Sunday 02 June official statement, Police told that Pol Colonel Pumpanmuang will be sent Monday 03 June to collect information at the train station and at the Institute of Psychiatry.

We are on Tuesday night and we are waiting for the evidence that the Colonel Pumpanmuang picked up yesterday ...

We are waiting for the testimonies of the passers-by who rescued the young woman, as well as for the testimony of the railway police, for the testimony of the locomotive driver, for he testimony of the person who registered her admission to the hospital, for the testimonies of the doctor and nurses who took care of her, as well as for the testimony of the driver who took her away when she left psychiatric institute

We are also expecting material evidence, such as the exit form filled of Elise's own writing and signed by her. It is probable that his stay in the psychiatric Institute or the consultation was not free; so a record of the financial transaction should be found, for example, the recording of a money withdrawal from an ATM within or in the vicinity of the Institute building, or possibly the trace of a transaction carried out by Elise's insurance.

Let us wait until Colonel Pumpanmuang has publicly and openly exposed all this evidence before concluding that Elise tried to commit suicide on April 4 ...

Edited by Lamar

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

the old pillow case over the mouth is pretty hard to detect without a proper post mortem.  It is fairly easy to avoid ligature, fingernail wounds etc

It must be done with 2 hands and takes longer than you think.  Any one not totally incapacitated would resist and if their hands were tied ligature marks on the hands or wrists would be evident.  If the hands were free, the victim would defend themselves likely resulting in capturing the suspects DNA under the nails ("fingernail wounds" you mentioned would not be a typical item to look for).  Asphyxia in a suspicious or unusual scene minus evidence of strangulation would lead an investigator to a smothering option.  The totality of the circumstance would have to be evaluated.  Every scene is different but foul play is far more difficult to conceal then presumed by novices.  

Edited by ThaiWai

1 hour ago, Lamar said:

Sunday 02 June, the Police made an official statement about this alleged suicide attempt. According to the police, this suicide attempt took place on April 4th at the Nopphawong railway station, Bangkok. Elise would have attempted to kill herself by throwing herself under a moving train. She would have been saved by the action of passers-by with the help of railway police . She was then sent to the Somdet Chaopraya Institute of Psychiatry for treatment. She later travelled to Koh Tao.

I have never heard of Nopphawong train station, does anyone know where it is located? I know there is a Nopphawong  junction on Krung Kasem road and then just across the klong from the junction is a vast expanse of train lines feeding in to Hua Lamphong station which is just a few hundred meters further south.

This may be a mistake in the reporting or it maybe a station I'm unaware of?  I lived close to that area for nearly 15 years and have never heard of this station, I'm very curious.

25 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

I have never heard of Nopphawong train station, does anyone know where it is located? I know there is a Nopphawong  junction on Krung Kasem road and then just across the klong from the junction is a vast expanse of train lines feeding in to Hua Lamphong station which is just a few hundred meters further south.

This may be a mistake in the reporting or it maybe a station I'm unaware of?  I lived close to that area for nearly 15 years and have never heard of this station, I'm very curious.

Killing yourself my jumping off a train?  Maybe sprained ankle and some road rash.

2 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Killing yourself my jumping off a train?  Maybe sprained ankle and some road rash.

Not "jumping OFF a train" : "jumping UNDER / ONTO / IN FRONT a moving/coming train" !

4 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

I found it! This is not exactly a "train station", but the "Railway Police Station"; It is located near the railway track, at the northern tip of the Hua Lamphong station site.

NOPPHAWONG.png

14 minutes ago, Lamar said:

I found it! This is not exactly a "train station", but the "Railway Police Station"; It is located near the railway track, at the northern tip of the Hua Lamphong station site.

NOPPHAWONG.png

Yes, I know where the railway police station is, but still at a loss as to where Nopphawwong (นพวงศ์ ) train station is. I don't believe there is such a place.

This is not a criticism in any way of any of your posts, just trying to verify facts that are being put out there, they are stating she tried to jump in front of a train at Nopphawong train station, and I don't think there is actually such a place.

I see now that a Surathani prosecuter says the Samui Times will face a libellous lawsuit and a charge of violating the Computer Crime Act for damaging the reputation of Kho Tao by calling it 'Death Island', the Surathani authorities are bringing the action and suing them.

Edited by Laab Muu

The Koh Tao mayor had the following to say about it, "The coverage damages the island's reputation and we have to take decisive action not to allow foreigners or other people to attack our economy".

Rotten to the core....

12 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

Yes, I know where the railway police station is, but still at a loss as to where Nopphawwong (นพวงศ์ ) train station is. I don't believe there is such a place.

This is not a criticism in any way of any of your posts, just trying to verify facts that are being put out there, they are stating she tried to jump in front of a train at Nopphawong train station, and I don't think there is actually such a place.

I assume that this is an approximate translation issue; The words of Pol Maj Gen Suthin Sapphuang have been translated slightly differently in The Nation and in a well-known Bangkokian daily newspaper. It states: "a railway track at the Nappawong railway station near Hua Lampong railway station" and "Police at the Nappawong station caught her". 

1 minute ago, Lamar said:

I assume that this is an approximate translation issue; The words of Pol Maj Gen Suthin Sapphuang have been translated slightly differently in The Nation and in a well-known Bangkokian daily newspaper. It states: "a railway track at the Nappawong railway station near Hua Lampong railway station" and "Police at the Nappawong station caught her". 

Yes that is what I thought, a little lost in translation issue.

Cheers.

23 hours ago, DiscoDan said:

The French guy who was found hanged left a note non of the others apart from Elise were claimed to be suicide.

Thanks for the update. I still feel it a tad unusual. I suppose I had the jumpers in BKK and Pattaya  in mind. I think It rare for a note to be left.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

On 7/4/2017 at 11:48 AM, ThaiWai said:

There are no usual suicides.  I saw a woman who stabbed herself in the heart once.  Be assured than was UNusual.  Oh, she didn't leave a note either.

Hmmmm  are you sure it wasn't a stab in the back, much more "UNusual". Or maybe not considering our location. You seem to get the been everywhere, done everything, SEEN everything on TVisa

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

8 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

The Koh Tao mayor had the following to say about it, "The coverage damages the island's reputation and we have to take decisive action not to allow foreigners or other people to attack our economy".

Rotten to the core....

Money #1. No surprise.