Reminder: Buddhist Booze Ban In Effect This Weekend

snoop1130

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, rkidlad said:

Yay! Watch all the people who 'don't care' that they're not able to buy booze over the weekend get really vitriolic with people who do mind. 

Does giving up alcohol for a couple of days make you a better person? Of course not. Will it be good for your body? Well, if you're a heavy drinker then no, and if you're a social drinker then no. 

You can't force people to be good. You can encourage them to be good though. Best way is usually to set examples. How about no corruption over the weekend. 

Does abstaining from smoking for a day on No Smoking Day in the UK or elsewhere make you a better person?

No, but people still do it and the day is still set aside as such.

No alcohol days are common here - at least tourists have reason to be annoyed because they don't know.

Expats can just plan ahead by stocking up on whatever they need to get them through this trying time away from the barstool.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Thai Ron said:

Does abstaining from smoking for a day on No Smoking Day in the UK or elsewhere make you a better person?

No, but people still do it and the day is still set aside as such.

No alcohol days are common here - at least tourists have reason to be annoyed because they don't know.

Expats can just plan ahead by stocking up on whatever they need to get them through this trying time away from the barstool.

You completely miss the point. As I stated earlier, alcohol here is the context. The real point is that no one has the right to impose their personal beliefs, religious or otherwise, on others.

10 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Just wouldn' buy it. Look at my post that started this somewhat heated exchange....

So in a nutshell: you regard the sale and consumption of alcohol as a sin, as you put it, but the purchase of alcohol is not a sin.  So, while you are happy to purchase and consume alcohol with your wife twice a month, you regard, at least one part of that transaction, as sinful but not your part?  By purchasing the wine you are in fact perpetuating the sale of the wine. If you feel so strongly about the issue, why do you purchase and consume alcohol at all?  And it was rather conspicuous that you didn't respond to obvious scenario I pointed out earlier, in that do you realise how many peoples' livelihoods would be destroyed by an annual 3-month alcohol sales ban that you advocate, not to mention the overall knock-on effect on the economy?  Do you think most Thais, Buddhist or otherwise was support such a thing?

Edited by stephen tracy

6 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

You completely miss the point. As I stated earlier, alcohol here is the context. The real point is that no one has the right to impose their personal beliefs, religious or otherwise, on others.

Well they're not imposing their beliefs on others, are they?

The just don't allow the sale of alcohol but if you drink alcohol you've already bought, you're not in violation of their beliefs, are you? You won't be carted off to jail, will you?

You people will find anything to whinge about, won't you

3 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

So in a nutshell: you regard the sale and consumption of alcohol as a sin, as you put it, but the purchase of alcohol is not a sin.  So, while you are happy to purchase and consume alcohol with your wife twice a month, you regard at least one part of that transaction as sinful (not your part of course, that's ok)?  If you feel so strongly about the issue, why do you purchase and consume alcohol at all?  And it was rather conspicuous that you didn't respond to obvious scenario I pointed out earlier, in that do you realise how many peoples' livelihoods would be destroyed by an annual 3-month alcohol sales ban that you advocate, not to mention the overall knock-on effect on the economy?  Do you think most Thais, Buddhist or otherwise was support such a thing?

https://www.greenfacts.org/en/alcohol/l-2/05-social-economic-problems.htm

Just now, Thai Ron said:

Well they're not imposing their beliefs on others, are they?

The just don't allow the sale of alcohol but if you drink alcohol you've already bought, you're not in violation of their beliefs, are you? You won't be carted off to jail, will you?

You people will find anything to whinge about, won't you

By prohibiting the sale of alcohol within the catering industry you infringe on peoples' right o make a living and you infringe on peoples' right to make their own choices.  I am not "whinging", I am merely pointing out that dictating to others based on your personal beliefs is wrong.  Yes, they very much are imposing their beliefs. 

4 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

So put your money where your mouth is and stop purchasing and consuming wine, and while your at it, answer the question regarding the economic impact an annual 3-month ban would have. 

Relentless, aren't you?

11 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

By prohibiting the sale of alcohol within the catering industry you infringe on peoples' right o make a living and you infringe on peoples' right to make their own choices.  I am not "whinging", I am merely pointing out that dictating to others based on your personal beliefs is wrong.  Yes, they very much are imposing their beliefs. 

By that logic outlawing the sale of cocaine in Boots, the state is infringing upon the rights of the pharmacist to make a living.

Does the catering industry only make money on the sale of alcohol or do they also make money on the sale of food?

They're not personal beliefs - they're the beliefs of the Buddhist majority in this Buddhist country.

Those for whom it represents such an infringement upon their "right" to buy alcohol, can go somewhere where they can piss up day in day out to their heart's content

Edited by Thai Ron

Just now, Thai Ron said:

By that logic outlawing the sale of cocaine in Boots, the state is infringing upon the rights of the pharmacist to make a living.

Does the catering industry only make money on the sale of alcohol or do they also make money on the sale of food?

They're not personal beliefs - they're the beliefs of the Buddhist majority in this Buddhist country.

Those for whom it represents such an infringement upon their "right" to drink alcohol, can go somewhere where they can piss up day in day out to their heart's content

Show me some stats on how many "Buddhists"  agree that religious sentiments must dictate with regards to someone's right to choose. And having been a restaurant owner I can confirm that at least half of our revenue was generated through people ordering drinks with their meal. Once again, it's not about pissing it up, as you say, it's about not being dictated to by someone who holds a different opinion. Do I have the right to impose my opinions/beliefs on you? No, I most certainly do not.  Your comments hold no water.  This is not about alcohol per say, it's about the right to choose. It's about business owners not having their right infringed upon. 

Not really wanting to comment on the obvious stupidity of this ban. I rather wonder how exactly this ban is crafted?
As I understand the sales of Alcohol is prohibited, from Midnight (AM) July 8th to Midnight (AM July 10th.

The sale? What about giving away drinks for free? Also prohibited?

What about a customer drinking his own brought-along booze in a bar?
What about ordering maybe a bottle of wine, or a pitcher of beer shortly before midnight, and continue drinking it after midnight, at a pub or bar?

I am not interested to hear what will most likely happen with the corrupt Police, rather keen on understanding the wording and the logic behind it (In case there is any)?

53 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Yes, there is a world between getting rich destroying peoples lives, and giving in occasionally to our own weakness. In most "civilized" countries the use of illegal drugs is tolerated while trafficking is severely repressed.

Again well said.  The CIA/DEA doesn't like competition.  Off topic but too your point... https://www.google.co.th/search?q=youtube+cia+biggest+drug+dealers+in+world&oq=youtube+cia+biggest+drug+dealers+in+world&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.12581j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

53 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You tink too mut.

Guilty.  I know I do... :blush: 

Just now, joeyg said:

Again well said.  The CIA/DEA doesn't like competition.  Off topic but too your point... https://www.google.co.th/search?q=youtube+cia+biggest+drug+dealers+in+world&oq=youtube+cia+biggest+drug+dealers+in+world&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.12581j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Guilty.  I know I do... :blush: 

I would say not enough. Give it a try.

17 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Show me some stats on how many "Buddhists"  agree that religious sentiments must dictate with regards to someone's right to choose. And having been a restaurant owner I can confirm that at least half of our revenue was generated through people ordering drinks with their meal. Once again, it's not about pissing it up, as you say, it's about not being dictated to by someone who holds a different opinion. Do I have the right to impose my opinions/beliefs on you? No, I most certainly do not.  Your comments hold no water.  This is not about alcohol per say, it's about the right to choose. It's about business owners not having their right infringed upon. 

Show me stats on how many Buddhists disagree that religious sentiments should dictate someone's right to choose.

We're not talking about how the Thais feel about it, we're talking about how self-important, entitled, high-and-mighty, free speech-loving farangs feel about it.

Your argument is full of holes.

You're basically saying that if you want to get high, it's wrong that the law prevents you from buying weed or narcotics because someone's beliefs are impinging on what you view as your right to get stoned.

Grow up and deal with it

4 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Show me stats on how many Buddhists disagree that religious sentiments should dictate someone's right to choose.

We're not talking about how the Thais feel about it, we're talking about how self-important, entitled, high-and-mighty, free speech-loving farangs feel about it.

You're basically saying that if you want to get high, it's wrong that the law prevents you from buying weed or narcotics because someone's beliefs are impinging on what you view as your right to get stoned.

Grow up and deal with it

That's exactly what I'm saying. And no one's religious beliefs should be imposed on others.  Want to fast during Ramadan?

6 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Grow up and deal with it

"we're talking about how self-important, entitled, high-and-mighty, free speech-loving farangs feel about it."  Are you talking about me or you?

2 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

"we're talking about how self-important, entitled, high-and-mighty, free speech-loving farangs feel about it."  Are you talking about me or you?

Definitely you, mate.

4 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. And no one's religious beliefs should be imposed on others.  Want to fast during Ramadan?

So you're basically calling for anarchy?

Just how long do you think you'd last in an anarchic Thailand?

Actually, don't bother answering. I realise you want to flex your "debating" skills but you're just sounding particularly naïve.

20 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

On a holiday in Jordan (about 20 years ago!), we went to a restaurant for a meal.  Ordered our meal plus a glass of wine each, to be told they didn't serve any alcohol as they were Muslim.

Fair enough - but we cancelled our order and went to another restaurant that did sell alcohol.

Of course banning alcohol is going to affect the profits of restaurants and bars!

Not that I care either way as (living here) I know when to buy in advance.  But I do feel sorry for those who've paid a lot of money to come here on holiday - particularly as the ban on sales is so pointless!

1 minute ago, Thai Ron said:

Definitely you, mate.

So you're basically calling for anarchy?

Just how long do you think you'd last in an anarchic Thailand?

Actually, don't bother answering. I realise you want to flex your "debating" skills but you're just sounding particularly naïve.

I'd hardly call the right to choose the road to "anarchy", whatever that means. 

Just now, stephen tracy said:

I'd hardly call the right to choose the road to "anarchy", whatever that means. 

Well, it is because you don't think laws should impinge on someone's choice to buy what they want.

Where do you draw the line?

Alcohol, narcotics, assault rifles? Explosives, perhaps??

3 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Well, it is because you don't think laws should impinge on someone's choice to buy what they want.

Where do you draw the line?

Alcohol, narcotics, assault rifles? Explosives, perhaps??

First, I think you ought to have a look at the definition of "anarchy". Second, what one chooses to do with oneself in terms of consuming alcohol, cigarettes or recreational drugs is up to oneself.  No one has the right to impose their personal beliefs on others in that regard.  Do I have the right to impose my personal beliefs on you with regards to how you choose to live your life, providing you are not harming anyone else?  If the answer to that is no, then you have no argument.

50 minutes ago, Rastaputin said:

Not really wanting to comment on the obvious stupidity of this ban. I rather wonder how exactly this ban is crafted?
As I understand the sales of Alcohol is prohibited, from Midnight (AM) July 8th to Midnight (AM July 10th.

The sale? What about giving away drinks for free? Also prohibited?

What about a customer drinking his own brought-along booze in a bar?
What about ordering maybe a bottle of wine, or a pitcher of beer shortly before midnight, and continue drinking it after midnight, at a pub or bar?

I am not interested to hear what will most likely happen with the corrupt Police, rather keen on understanding the wording and the logic behind it (In case there is any)?

The prohibition of alcohol sales on certain religious days is not a new concept, bars trading hours are linked to their alcohol license so if they cannot sell there is no point in opening.

Saying that was just out on my scoot and a few places in my soi are doing a roaring trade, they do sell food as well though but I did not go inside to see if booze is also being sold.

Just now, stephen tracy said:

First, I think you ought to have a look at the definition of "anarchy". Second, what one chooses to do with oneself in terms of consuming alcohol, cigarettes or recreational drugs is up to oneself.  No one has the right to impose their personal beliefs on others in that regard.  Do I have the right to impose my personal beliefs on you with regards to how you choose to live your life, providing you are not harming anyone else?  If the answer to that is no, then you have no argument.

You're being obtuse and I've no time to discuss these matters with someone who believes that repetition is a credible substitute for reason

BTW opened a very nice bottle of Shiraz to share with my girl at lunch.  Out on the balcony.  Beautiful breeze and view of Pattaya Bay and down town from Naklua.  Got a few ice cold "Sings"  in the fridge sounds pretty good about now.  Think and plan ahead... :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

BTW opened a very nice bottle of Shiraz to share with my girl at lunch.  Out on the balcony.  Beautiful breeze and view of Pattaya Bay and down town from Naklua.  Got a few ice cold "Sings"  in the fridge sounds pretty good about now.  Think and plan ahead... :thumbsup:

So you participated in a "sinful" act. In your opinion, the seller committed a sin, but you can't sell something without a buyer, meaning the entire transaction is a sin. Enjoy!