Reminder: Buddhist Booze Ban In Effect This Weekend

snoop1130

18 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Well, it is because you don't think laws should impinge on someone's choice to buy what they want.

Where do you draw the line?

Alcohol, narcotics, assault rifles? Explosives, perhaps??

This topic is about banning the sale of alcohol - not narcotics, assault rifles or explosives.....

No doubt opinions will differ when it comes to these - particularly assault rifles and explosives.

A strawman argument at best....

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

You're being obtuse and I've no time to discuss these matters with someone who believes that repetition is a credible substitute for reason

You have been unable to answer how the Thai economy, and therefore society, would benefit from an annual 3-month prohibition law.  The reason you have been unable to do so is that you have no answer because you are aware that what you are proposing would fail miserably in numerous respects but are unwilling to admit that it is a ridiculous idea.  Answer the question and stop deflecting. 

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

You have been unable to answer how the Thai economy, and therefore society, would benefit from an annual 3-month prohibition law.  The reason you have been unable to do so is that you have no answer because you are aware that what you are proposing would fail miserably in numerous respects but are unwilling to admit that it is a ridiculous idea.  Answer the question and stop deflecting. 

Yeah good luck with a 3 month prohibition law, How many no booze days followed the passing of his Majesty King Bhumibol?.

26 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

You're being obtuse and I've no time to discuss these matters with someone who believes that repetition is a credible substitute for reason

Well said.  I toast this "Sing" to you... :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Does abstaining from smoking for a day on No Smoking Day in the UK or elsewhere make you a better person?

No, but people still do it and the day is still set aside as such.

No alcohol days are common here - at least tourists have reason to be annoyed because they don't know.

Expats can just plan ahead by stocking up on whatever they need to get them through this trying time away from the barstool.

In the UK they prohibit the sale of cigarettes for a day?

Wow. That learnt me. 

I am planning to go to one of the English pubs in downtown Bangkok and have breakfast tomorrow. I guess I can do without beer tomorrow but the thing is will such places be open tomorrow?  They might choose to be shut because of the booze ban.

Does anyone have any idea? 

On 04/07/2017 at 2:42 PM, rkidlad said:

Yay! Watch all the people who 'don't care' that they're not able to buy booze over the weekend get really vitriolic with people who do mind. 

Does giving up alcohol for a couple of days make you a better person? Of course not. Will it be good for your body? Well, if you're a heavy drinker then no, and if you're a social drinker then no. 

You can't force people to be good. You can encourage them to be good though. Best way is usually to set examples. How about no corruption over the weekend. 

Whoa steady there - the mia nois will go on strike for starters.

6 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

Dont Villa market in K Village still tend to sell booze on these ban days?

Not that I've seen.  Curiously my GF and I went down town Pattaya Tai.  Got off just before second road.  what got my attention was a Thai guy sitting right out front of this big restaurant with a big "Sing"  Walked in asked if we could order beer.  The answer was yes.  Had lunch and a couple of cold ones right out front.  Very busy high visibility location.

Didn't see another place serving booze.  Makes ya wonder...

All the bars were closed.

27 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Not that I've seen.  Curiously my GF and I went down town Pattaya Tai.  Got off just before second road.  what got my attention was a Thai guy sitting right out front of this big restaurant with a big "Sing"  Walked in asked if we could order beer.  The answer was yes.  Had lunch and a couple of cold ones right out front.  Very busy high visibility location.

Didn't see another place serving booze.  Makes ya wonder...

All the bars were closed.

Burn you sinner. Burn.

For 2 days in a row my wife went to the local wat - she is not much of a wat go-er, but Lent and all that...

I asked her what the monks talked about?

Reply: not talk, only pray and sing and eat.

I insisted: did they not talk about buddha and attachment and being dishonest and so on?

Reply: no, if you want  you need to pay

Happy Lent everybody

49 minutes ago, tartempion said:

Went to a public swimming pool today with a friend and our 2 daughters.
Bought two bottles of beer without thinking about the booze ban.
No harm occurred to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Curious, where did they buy?

23 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Just passed one of our local out in the sticks bars....beer bottles aplenty being served and two Cops drinking whiskey (what they call whiskey).  No change around here then !

Yeah, alcohol is a massive public health issue in this country, probably more than HIV..

30 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

For 2 days in a row my wife went to the local wat - she is not much of a wat go-er, but Lent and all that...

I asked her what the monks talked about?

Reply: not talk, only pray and sing and eat.

I insisted: did they not talk about buddha and attachment and being dishonest and so on?

Reply: no, if you want  you need to pay

Happy Lent everybody

I gave my customary donation at the door of the big temple downtown Pattaya one day offered incense and flowers to Buddha.  Went over to the attending monk paid my respects.  Held my hand out after a few before me to get my thread tied on my wrist.  

One of the local goons from the gift counter ran over and said "you have to give money!"  I said I already gave money when I came in.  I asked the old monk, "do I have to give more money?"  He said, "100 bhat."  I said "OK OK here's more money"  Got my thread tied on .  Pretty weird scene.

Today a nice young monk gave my GF and myself new threads.  He didn't ask for anything extra.  Go figure...

8 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Yeah, alcohol is a massive public health issue in this country, probably more than HIV..

Actually it is.  I'd have to pull the stats.  I believe Thailand is #1 in alcohol related disease.  Unofficially Laos is #1.

6 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Actually it is.  I'd have to pull the stats.  I believe Thailand is #1 in alcohol related disease.  Unofficially Laos is #1.

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/global_alcohol_report/msb_gsr_2014_2.pdf?ua=1

Here you are, but 2014 figures. Now with Prayut everything must be a lot better. The man must get so tired.