Phuket tourism leader urges steps against corrupt officials in migrant worker crackdown

webfact

Phuket tourism leader urges steps against corrupt officials in migrant worker crackdown

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1499243533_1-org.jpg

Hundreds of migrant workers arrived in Phuket last Friday and Saturday seeking help to get home. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Bhuritt Maswongssa, a leading figure in Phuket’s tourism industry, has called for the government to take steps to make sure the current crackdown on illegal migrant workers is not exploited by corrupt officials who are willing to accept bribes.

“The government must not think only about the impact on employers. There is a gap that corrupt officials can exploit to extract bribes,” Mr Bhuritt told The Phuket News.

“The government should enforce the law to punish such officials. That’s fair,” he added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourism-leader-urges-steps-against-corrupt-officials-in-migrant-worker-crackdown-62856.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-05

Reading the linked report leads me to believe Bhuritt is arguing for the present(cheap)system of exploitation to continue or for the exploiters to be given government money to make the illegal workers legal.

Maybe I misunderstand? 

Corruption will not be erased overnight..

I would rather worry on the economic crisis that will occur, as who fill fill up the jobs held by the illegals? 

Yes, they could hire local, but prices will hike, and the masses who spend, will think twice before expenditure, thus recession will follow on the short term....

Sure, the country could then try to compensate this loss of revenue inherent to the recession, with their favorite golden geese...the farangs/tourists/expats...but that in turn will disourage many a farang to spend, visit or stay in Thailand, meaning even more loss of revenue....is is all that worth?...better think twice please....:wai:

33 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I would rather worry on the economic crisis that will occur,

Does that mean you support trafficking and the exploitation of people? 

Would you rather  "illegals" be abused if that keeps your expenditure down? 

I hope I have misunderstood what you have said  because if not ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

Does that mean you support trafficking and the exploitation of people? 

Would you rather  "illegals" be abused if that keeps your expenditure down? 

I hope I have misunderstood what you have said  because if not ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

traficking? they are not forced labour? where do you see the abuse? they came over freely, perhaps with a bit of help and send the money back to their families...but they are free to move...

you should rather preach in the streets of Dubai, Qatar or Oman, where your definitions of forced labour may be met....by the authorities!!

and of course, to keep expenses down...dear fellow I am not aware from where you crawled out, but it is a global issue to keep expenses down, starting with the kids who probably manufactured the computer on which you are currently preaching now!...so please drop your crap!

and yes....I fully assume that I would rather pay half price for a job to be properly done, rather then pay double the farang price for something badly done....

and no you did not misunderstand me, unless you are a total moron, which I hope for you that you are not....