Why do many people run 'flat-footed'?

simon43

but much of the potential issue with knees is down to how hard you land on your feet

That quote is from my thread on jogging.

Many members have warned me of the dangers of damage to my knees.  But 6 months later after I started my thread, and now running at 11kph and faster, my knees are doing just fine.

But when I'm in the gym, and another person is running on the treadmill, they sound like an elephant!  I can hear their feet hitting the treadmill hard on each pace.  It's not just one person - most of these joggers are pounding with (to my ears anyway), flat fleet, and then complaining about knee and leg injuries.

Could I be doing the same?  I don't think so, because I then deliberately listened to the sound of my feet hitting the treadmill as I run.  No elephant was detected!  In fact, I try to hit as lightly as possible, to ensure that I don't stress my body.

So is one cause of knee damage due to failure to land correctly when running?

Yes, for sure poor technique when doing any exercise is what can contribute to injury, running is no different.

In fact, it's probably important to have good technique when running given the stress it places on ones body especially over long distances.

Look into the Pose running method, which some think is one of the most efficient ways of running and reduces the risk from injury.

I think you can partly blame on their education...hear me out...

Most kids going to school have those cheap sneakers from the Big C which sell for like 100 baht a pair (in white, black, or brown).

These shoes are completely flat and they use them also during PE.

By the time they grow up and become adults they have ran their whole lives on flat shoes and even after buying some real running shoes they lack the technique to run correctly.

I've seen the same thing in the gym where I work out, and the sound of it is very annoying.  It's just like anything else in Thailand....they don't give anything much thought and they could care less about how their actions impact anyone around them! Just try correcting one of them and you'll risk life and limb for making them lose face.  After all...we know they're perfect!

Your knees are doing fine until they don't. It's amazing how some people who seem smart just like you, can do so stupid things and thing that it's ok.

Running so long time after 50 is such a stupid thing that I would call it criminal.

Old Thai just like so many foreigners, if they had enough brain, would use an elliptical machine, not a treadmill.

Many of us land on our heels, a habit we've developed wearing shoes with rubber heels.

Proper, natural barefoot running would have you land on your toes or flatfooted, either that or risk injury:

http://fl.milesplit.com/articles/112223/heels-or-toes-what-is-the-best-way-to-run

(And actually elephants walk fairly quietly...)

Running so long time after 50 is such a stupid thing that I would call it criminal.

Lol, I can't find the smiley to express how much I am laughing at your attitude to healthy exercise.

Do you believe the earth is flat as well?

Simon, Correct shoes are the key. If you have flat feet you need  "motion control" shoes, for better support. If you buy shoes locally The straighter the last or sole the better.  

For feet #1

foot-shape-and-shoes.jpg

https://sportspodiatryinfo.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/choosing-running-shoes-the-evidence-behind-the-recommendations/

Running on treadmills is not so good for knees etc. as there is no give. Better to start the Naypyidaw Hash House Harriers and run around town or out in the countryside. 

Hash would give you a hobby while you wait for that elusive license.:whistling: 

Simon, Correct shoes are the key. If you have flat feet you need  "motion control" shoes, for better support.

I agree.  But it's not me who has flat feet!  It seems to be everyone else in my gym :)

Better to start the Naypyidaw Hash House Harriers

I'd be running on my own.  There are very few foreigners who live in Naypyidaw.  Anyway, I always prefer to mix with the 'locals', whether it be in Myanmar, Laos or Thailand.  I don't get on well with expats :)

Lol, I can't find the smiley to express how much I am laughing at your attitude to healthy exercise.

That's a bit harsh , I sit here, an old chap acheing like hell in the Mornings from being Action Man.Rideing about in Silly Shirts pretending to be Mr Tour de France, Bashed up playing Rugby,running Marathons when I could have been gently Swiming in warm Seas..Now mates my age that Hill walked with Kids n Dogs are fit, I'm Clucked Up. Moderatiion Chaps , foreget the Showboating .?[emoji963]?‍♀️[emoji125][emoji467]?‍♀️

That's a bit harsh ...

I think it was a valid comment:  I haven't spent years stuffing my face full of fatty food and trash.  Nor have I shunned exercise.  I have led a reasonably active life for decades, (used to cycle 30Km/day in Phuket), and I approached my diet and fitness regime with careful thought and check-ups with my doctor. I trust my doctor and my own research more than hearsay.

Even before I started getting fit, my blood works and heart tests etc were all good for my age.  Now my levels are 'though the floor' (eg BP, resting heart rate, chloresterol etc).

If you are fat and out of condition, then certainly you should approach running with some care. But I started off at 73 Kg and in reasonably condition, and I'm now about 62 Kg and in excellent fitness.  I am very careful about my jogging to ensure that I do not over stress my body.

What you decide to do depends upon whether you think it's better to slow down and be a couch potato after 50 years of age, or whether you feel it's better to optimise your fitness and health, to better protect your body against illness and injury through misuse or lack of use of your body.

I prefer the latter option, and I hope to be running (or staggering or walking) until I'm well into my 90's.

Back to my OP, I would think that flat-foot running would rapidly cause discomfort to the runner.  Perhaps that is why they look amazed as I run at a fast pace for 60 minutes, whilst they noisily pound the treadmill for 10 minutes and then hit the stop button :)

• 7 months later...
On 7/7/2017 at 2:35 PM, Ace of Pop said:

Them old Zulu Spear Chuckers wouldn't need Nike to catch a Hasher..?emoji125.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If I were being chased by a Zulu Spear Chucker, I'd make sure at least one Hasher was between me and him. Preferably more. A whole club-full in fact. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 8:37 AM, simon43 said:

His opener, which you omitted, was right on the money: "Your knees are doing fine until they don't".

The 2nd part wasn't so dumb either. It's not until your knees are f***** that you'll agree with that. If you want bad knees past 50, running will help it along more than most sports. There are better ways for older guys to stay fit.

• 2 weeks later...

His opener, which you omitted, was right on the money: "Your knees are doing fine until they don't".

You can say the same about any other part of your body. Should I not raise my heart rate through exercise, in case I have a heart attack? No, it is beneficial to exercise your heart, and I also believe that it's beneficial to exercise your knees. just don't over do it.

If God didn't intend us to run, he wouldn't have given us legs...... :)

On 7/7/2017 at 5:35 AM, bangkokairportlink said:

There has been no conclusive studies that say running causes knee injuries. Some runners get knee injuries for sure.

On the contrary, there have been studies that prove that running is good for your back, due to the compression and expansion of the discs !! Go figure...

I have been training for the past 9 weeks, running.. Using the Maffetone method, which seems to be working.

If anyone is interested in sport science, google it if you haven't heard about it.

Keep that heart rate in the fat burning zone, 175 bpm minus your age :) It's a struggle to start with, it feels like you couldn't possibly run any slower but it gets better as you build that aerobic base..

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I have been training for the past 9 weeks, running.. Using the Maffetone method, which seems to be working.

If anyone is interested in sport science, google it if you haven't heard about it.

Keep that heart rate in the fat burning zone, 175 bpm minus your age :) It's a struggle to start with, it feels like you couldn't possibly run any slower but it gets better as you build that aerobic base..

I see a lady around late 60s run slowly but she keeps at it for miles and does it many times a week.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

You can say the same about any other part of your body. Should I not raise my heart rate through exercise, in case I have a heart attack? No, it is beneficial to exercise your heart, and I also believe that it's beneficial to exercise your knees. just don't over do it.

If God didn't intend us to run, he wouldn't have given us legs...... :)

What about walking? Perhaps God had walking in mind too. I don't run, but my heart gets plenty of exercise. Doing a cardio exercise which works the whole body would seem like a far more efficient use of time.

In reality, I believe any discussion about running should include a discussion about body mass. Every extra kilogram of body mass adds a lot of extra stress to the knee joint. Simon43 is a lightweight athlete, so I'm sure he can run until a ripe old age. As a predominantly strength athlete who weighs over 100kg, I'll give it a miss.

27 minutes ago, Justfine said:

I see a lady around late 60s run slowly but she keeps at it for miles and does it many times a week.

I see many old people jogging around the park, with agony on their faces. It looks like torture. There are much better ways for aging folk to stay fit.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

There has been no conclusive studies that say running causes knee injuries. Some runners get knee injuries for sure.

On the contrary, there have been studies that prove that running is good for your back, due to the compression and expansion of the discs !! Go figure...

But it's obvious that all joints deteriorate with age. Would you call osteoarthritis an injury? 

I use the HASH method. Try and keep up with the 80 year-old guy and have two beers at the end.  Then work up to a 70 year old etc.

Aerobic exercise

De-stresses

So at least two of the Maffetone steps :thumbsup:

Archived