Why do many people run 'flat-footed'?

simon43

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes, with age... Not with running :)

It would be hard to pin a degenerative disease on any one cause as it takes many years to progress to the point of causing pain. Lots of people who don't run suffer from osteoarthritis. I brought it up because my motto is that one should be gentle on aging joints, not pounding them on the pavement day after day in the hope you're gaining anything beneficial that can't be achieved more safely and efficiently in other ways. Any theoretical benefit (that's what some are suggesting - i.e. it's good for the knees) of running on joint integrity could be achieved safely by walking.

Sure, walking doesn't promote the same level of aerobic fitness, but that can be achieved through non-impact exercises. How aerobically fit does one need to be for optimum health? Another way of putting it: If one works very hard to achieve a high level of aerobic fitness, what benefits would that impart compared to a lower level of fitness? I believe that people who do low-intensity exercise regularly will be healthier than people who work very hard.

If one is running often to lower one's body fat, I suggest that lowering one's calorie intake is a better way to achieve it.

40 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Incline walking is similar to jogging in terms of calories burnt and heart rate achieved.

I agree that incline walking is fantastic, unfortunately, it's hard to find long inclines to walk up and you always have to walk downhill at some point. The only solution is a treadmill. Powerwalking at high speed can burn more calories than low-speed jogging. I can't remember the crossover point.

In reality, I believe any discussion about running should include a discussion about body mass.

Absolutely agree. And since I am fairly light (about 63 Kg)', I also don't find it too difficult to do pull-ups and chin-ups. I don't have much weight to lift :)

4 hours ago, Justfine said:

Any experience with weighted vests?

There seems to be a new trend up in the park here in Pattaya. People drag car tires behind them. It has become quite the thing. I think increasing your weight by adding a vest would be the worst thing to do because forces on the knee when jogging are about 3.6 x BW (body weight).

This is where body weight is so crucial and a little bit of extra weight results in a lot of extra forces on the knee joint.

Here's a very detailed analysis:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3324308/

Archived