Sin Sod - Is It A Sin Or Am I A Sod?

lookchin

Hi Everyone

Well I have read and read, and still this seamingly traditional thai marriage thingy seems to confuse me, me and my gf want to get married. She has tried to explain it to me in many ways, I can appreciate that I should make some sort of offer to them in order to take care of their daughter and of course look after the family also. So what should I do? I thought about just taking her out of thailand to marry quickly and get things done the way I understand them. Come back to thailand and have a party and do the sinsod thing. Do farang in thailand wishing to marry into the thai family really do this? or is it a dying tradition? A thai girl i used to know said that Sinsod isnt necesarry anymore these days. I dont mind investing in land in her name, so we can build a home for us and to take care of her mum and dad when older, but is this gold and cash on display for the sake of the familys face value really necessary? or does it boil down to the individual family? The whole affair confuses me and I still try to read as much as I can to try and understand the culture of this. Hmm where i am from we can marry in 30mins with a few signatures and a witness. Anyone with any advice? I need to research this sure, do you think we as farang can ever understand this type of arrangement?

Hmm a confusing question i know, anyway please let me know your thoughts!