Buriram Imm Office

Here's a good news tale.  This office is fairly new in a very grand building on the city outskirts.

I came here in Feb with 90 day non imm-o based  on my ten year marriage to my Thai wife. A 60 day extension allowed my 400k to stay in my bank a/c here long enough to qualify for a one year extension. Ubonjoe has a list of paperwork needed which I followed to the letter.   I went there Tuesday with a little fear because of all the bad stories I read here.

The staff at this office are professional, they ask the necessary questions but are friendly and seem to have no axe to grind about farang.  The process took about 25 minutes, I've got 30 more days here while waiting for a home visit which they assure us will be by appointment.  I hope these visitors will be similarly pleasant.

So I found a place which applies the rules honestly.

Thanks to all who earlier corrected my misunderstanding of the process.

So here is the second half of this story.  The police phoned to say they would call in today at 9am.  They politely phoned later to say they had a busy day and would be a little late.  Can't fault that can you.  They arrived and the village phu yai came and vouched for me, statements were taken, paperwork was created.  I was bored out of my brain so the missus told me to eff off, which I did with a bottle of Chang to share with our builders.   I was called back for photos with the missus on our bed,  horizontal or vertical said I.  I couldn't control myself, we hammed it up, I grabbed the much beloved, she fought me off, we were all in fits. Cheek, photo my bed, unreal.

The upshot is the copper wanted to buy one of my pigs, I said no, they are our breeding stock but come back in six months when we have more. We invited the two coppers with their wives to our next barbee, out of uniform so they can have a drink. We have their phone numbers. Good blokes.  My one year extension has been approved.

I have never had a problem with officialdom in this country, if you know the rules, follow Ubonjoe's instructions to the letter, smile, be polite.  I have never found the Thai people to be anti farang, if so they are easily won over with good humour and charm, lots of smiles.

I love this crazy place, I never stop laughing after getting off the plane.