Seven Bombs Go Off In Bangkok - New Year Countdown Cancelled

george

Just arrived home from a night out on Sukhumvit Road. I have never seen Sukhumvit so quiet.

I took a taxi home and all the taxi driver could complain about was the fact that it "was never so quiet under Thaksin" and thet he "hoped Thaksin would return to improve the economy". How many other people think like this? It could be a dangerous development.

Well I read earlier that Thaksin supporters were under suspicion. Maybe he is behind this in one way or another. He's a crafty person and has many tricks up his sleeve. He doesn't have to be in the country to rally up support.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of us are reading this serious thread because we are concerned about a worrying and sad event that took place in Bangkok tonight and a lot of the threads reflect this.

That's why I started to read it too and in the first few pages it was informative and serious, but then (as with most threads on TV) it degenerated into pointless speculation and meaningless finger pointing and all the same, tired negativity about Thais .

I happen to like Thailand and Thais, fully aware of the short-comings which exist here (and everywhere else in this less than perfect world) and when something like this happens I want to know what's going on, and this should be an excellent forum for that purpose.

Unfortunately, too many posters take every opportunity, no matter how serious, tragic or significant, to vent their racism and prejudices. If you are genuinely interested in getting facts from people who are giving first-hand accounts this should be a wonderful source of information. Instead, in order to get the important information, you have to sort through all the utterly groundless accusations and self-serving speculations.

All of that may prove entertaining when the topic concerns such matters as what time the bars have to close, but many people seem unable to differentiate between those topics and others when that sort of thing is inappropriate.

More sinister - be perfect way to discredit Thaskin and the opposition, by laying blame on them by using terrorist tactics. :o

Come on Brit.......let's have less of the knee jerk one-liners and some more of relevant political comment. You can be more objective than your postings so far on this topic. Can you do that for us, please?

Edited by Artisan

Two more bombs in Bangkok at midnight.

Bangkok Post:

TWIN BANGKOK BOMBING WAVES KILL 2; New Year's Eve Countdown cancelled

(BangkokPost.com)

Two people died and more than 30 wounded including six foreigners as two waves of at least eight bombs or grenades have exploded in Bangkok at nightfall and again at midnight. Authorities cancelled all public New Year's Eve parties.

After a first wave of six coordinated explosions, two others went off at midnight at the site of the nation's biggest New Year's Eve party, normally telecast live around Thailand and overseas.

Seven people, including six foreigners, were injured in the second bombings just before midnight, but officials clearly did not have a handle on events. But the cancellation of New Year celebrations kept the toll down, police said.

"The (midnight) bomb exploded in a telephone booth opposite Central World Plaza," where the Bangkok Countdown 2007 was to have taken place, said Pol Col Vanlop Patummaung.

"The injured have been sent to the police hospital," he said. "Six foreigners and one Thai were injured. We don't know when the bomb was placed there, because we had carefully searched the area before the party.

Another bomb exploded on a pier that sits on the klong (canal) beside the plaza at the same time, just before midnight, but no injuries were immediately reported, he said.

Bangkok authorities ordered all public New Year's Eve parties cancelled after the first six explosions. Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin appeared at the huge Bangkok Countdown 2006 venue and told the crowd to "go home and stay in peace."

There had been confusion for an hour over whether New Year's parties would be permitted after the bombing. New Year's is the biggest public party in Thailand.

The national government indicated celebrations might proceed including - especially - the massive and internationally famous New Year's Countdown outdoors party attended by upwards of half a million people outside CentralWorld near Siam Square in central Bangkok.

Police Commissioner Kowit Wattana, at a televised news conference, said, "Don't be afraid, but be careful," and urged Bangkokians not to cancel New Year's Eve plans.

But the capital was extremely tense. All major department stores, due to stay open until late for holiday shopping, were all shut by 8 p.m. including the luxury Emporium and Paragon stores in the main tourist areas of Sukhumvit and Siam Square. Central, the biggest Thai department store operator, closed its stores.

Many would-be party-goers headed for home, either because the party mood has faded, or because they were unwilling to risk a public party.

By the time Mr Apirak personally ordered the Countdown to halt, the mood was off anyhow.

Earlier, government spokesman Yongyuth Malyalarp said the capital should remain calm and alert, and keep an eye out for unusual activity. He said police had been ordered on high alert.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said people hoping to celebrate the new year should avoid crowded areas. During a visit to a hospital where some of the victims were taken for treatment, the prime minster said the government will do all it can to prevent further trouble. The situation is under control, he said.

There were six explosions in various parts of the capital. Two were reported near the Klong Toey market, where a 61-year-old man was killed, and near a bus stop at the busy Victory Monument, where a Burmese was killed and more than a dozen other people wounded.

Graphic footage shown on television showed damaged vehicles and blood-stained streets and pavements.

TV reports said a man was seen throwing a grenade off a pedestrian overpass near a police box in the Saphan Kwai area of Bangkok, injuring several people in the explosion.

At Seacon Square in eastern Bangkok, Asia's largest mall, an explosion in the outdoor parking lot sent hundreds of shoppers scrambling, but no injurites were reported.

Shoppers who called BangkokPost.com said the mall was evacuated and shuttered for the night.

Another explosion was reported from Sukhumvit Soi 62, a major intersection with the capital's main expressway system in southeast Bangkok, and another in suburban Nonthaburi province north of the city centre.

"There was no warning. It is quite shocking. We've got at least one child very seriously injured in my area and others are injured," said Police Maj-Gen Anand Srisiran, chief of Metropolitan Police District Five.

Witnesses told police in some places that they saw people throwing what looked to be grenades shortly before the explosions.

The coordinated attacks are unprecedented in Bangkok.

However, political feelings have run high for more than a year, and there have been reports of political violence aimed against the military junta which ousted ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra on Sept 19 - primarily the suspected burning of schools.

In addition, some intelligence sources had suggested in the past two weeks that Islamist extremists leading the southern insurgency might try to spread their attacks to the capital. They have never operated out of the deep South.

The Bangkok bombings, however, bore little resemblance to bomb attacks in the South, which usually involve improvised explosive devices (IEDs) copied from the Iraq model, and set off by mobile phones, and vehicle bombs, especially in motorcycles.

An intelligence source told the AFP news agency that the attacks were likely politically motivated.

"The bombs are not involved with southern unrest," the source said, but did not elaborate. "It is a political issue, it is undercurrents" - the military regime's code word for pro-Thaksin elements.

The Voice of America reported a similar reaction. It quoted "Thai officials" as saying Muslim insurgents were probably not behind the New Year's Eve bombings. "Security sources said Sunday the bombings might have been politically-motivated," said the radio network.

Except for the insurgency in the four southernmost provinces, there has been no deadly political violence in Thailand for more than 14 years, when a popular protest overthrew the last military government. In that case, the violence and deaths were caused by the military government and armed forces.

Martial law was lifted in Bangkok and surrounding provinces just a month ago, but the military is authorised to act when necessary. The coup passed its 100-day anniversary on Dec 28.

The junta leader and army commander, Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, is currently out of Thailand, on the Haj in Saudi Arabia, and will not return until Thursday.

NY Times Article on the bombings ...

BANGKOK, Thailand, Dec. 31 — At least six small bombs exploded around Bangkok today, killing two people and injuring at least 20 in a city that remains under martial law following a coup three months ago. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Moments later two more bombs went off near a downtown mall, injuring eight people, including six foreigners, the police said.

New Year’s celebrations were canceled both in Bangkok and in the northern city of Chiang Mai.

The national police chief said he doubted that Muslim insurgents from southern Thailand were involved, leaving the likelihood that the violence was tied to the country’s continuing political tensions.

Thaksin Shinawatra was ousted as prime minister in a non-violent coup on Sept. 19, and the junta has warned of a continuing threat of instability from his backers. The civilian government it appointed approved funds last week for a 14,000 member special operations force to maintain civic order.

“The bombs exploded almost simultaneously,” said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont as he visited the injured at a hospital. “It must have been planned.” But he said it was too early to conclude who was responsible.

Police officers were sent to guard the sites of the bombings and to secure other possible targets. Hotels tightened security, shopping malls closed early and the police cleared the Khao San Road walking street, where backpackers from around the world gather at New Year’s.

The national police chief, Gen. Ajirawit Suphanaphesat, said at least six bombs exploded and that the police were inspecting suspicious packages in several other areas. Officials said two people had been killed and more than 20 injured in scattered locations that included a bus stop, a parking area near a shopping mall, a small open market and two police posts.

Bangkok’s mayor, Apirak Kosayothin, carried out the New Year’s countdown in a public square more than three hours early.

“Due to several bomb explosions in Bangkok and for the sake of peace and security, I would ask all of you to return to your homes now,” he told a crowd of 5,000 people. The police then began clearing the square.

Some people remained in the streets, however, waving from behind television reporters at the scenes of some of the bombings.

“Police reinforcements have been sent to various areas in the city,” said the government’s spokesman, Yongyuth Malyalarp. “We urge the public to remain calm.”

An insurgency in the three largely Muslim provinces of southern Thailand has taken more than 1,900 lives over the past two years. Shootings and bombings have become an almost daily occurrence. But so far, the violence appears not to have spread to Bangkok and other parts of the country.

The southern violence appears to have a number of causes. The ethnic Malay Muslims have complained over the years of neglect and discrimination by the distant capital in this largely Buddhist nation.

Thailand’s political crisis did not end with the coup, which brought to a halt a period of mounting tension that included large demonstrations against the prime minister earlier in the year.

Mr. Thaksin was abroad at the time, and the question of his possible return continues to preoccupy people here. The junta has said its interim government will draw up a new constitution in preparation for an election late next year.

But it has delayed the lifting of martial law, saying unnamed “undercurrents” of pro-Thaksin opposition continue to present a threat.

Abhisit Vejjajiva, the leader of the minority Democrat party, said on Saturday that he expected Mr. Thaksin’s backers to step up political attacks on the military-backed government in the coming year.

He referred to recent accusations of corruption against the interim prime minister, Surayud Chulanont, and said, “Such fighting will be more fierce next year.”

1993 an I was in Mumbai(Bombay for those who like), 8 and more Bombs went off, killing thousands,.

People of Mumbai(Bombay), stood up to the tragedy.

Moral of the story?

Don't be afraid of them terrorist! If you are terrorized; they win. If you are not, then they loose.

Have faith and trust in your own destiny.

its not star wars this is real life i'm in nonthaburi i could easily have been where the bombs went off! whether its a religious problem or not, this stuff has to stop! if people want to go out and kill themselves i'm happy to let them do it! just don't go around killing innocent people

22 blasts were predicted - so only half way so far....

go home now, if your out in bkk,

I'm not in Thailand at the moment. Bear with me for asking -- what is the source of the prediction of 22 blasts, please? And on what basis could such a prediction be made?

If accurate, and if the source is the Thai government (who else could it be?), it suggests that that the government knows more about this series of events than is being said.

Historically, news reports concerning Muslim related problems in the south have stated that the problems were Muslim related right away. So, assuming that more is known by the government than is being said, then were the problem Muslim related, it seems they would have said so by now.

I don't know who is behind these bombings, naturally I look first at the usual suspects, but won't cast aspersions until indeed its known for certain.

I regret the loss of life and suffering caused by these Bangkok bombings, but I notice a huge surge og news and postings on these, and rightfully so, its a tragedy, that I fear will only escalate.

Friday morning appx 5:30 am (5:30 pm thai time)we were awakened by a phone from my wifes mother in the Chiang Mai area. Her my son and his girl friend were attending an affair at their new Wat when a youngman approached my 17 year old son and asked if he wanted to hold a bomb. Our son replied man your crazy and turned and walked away. Alas our son was a bit slow as the next thing he knew was laying on the ground with a ruptured eardrum. Others were not as lucky with one person losing some fingers, another a broken arm, another had both legs broken.

Curiously nothing on Thaivisa or the Chiangmai forum have been posted on this. As far as I know (which admittedly) is very little. My wife doesn't seem to ask the questions I'd like answered about who what why (we know the where and when) as her main concern has been for our son.

Any enlightenment by those knowing more would be appreciated

Bit of a breakdown from Scandasia and Ron..with thanks..

Explosives went off almost simultaneously in several places accross Bangkok at around 18:00 local time, injuring at least 20 people as the Thai capital had just started celebrating New Year's eve. This news will be continuously updated as more details become available.

By Gregers Moller (from Scandasia ...with Thanks)

Year end revellers leav the Seacon Square shopping comple. All public parties were cancelled. The largest at Central World in Bangkok reported the lost income to be around 30 mill baht.

At Anusawari Chai / Victiry monument the most people were injured.

Police gathering evidence at the bomb scene near the Victory monument.

An injured person receives treatment at the Rachawithi Hospital at the Victory Monument.

Around 18:00 on Sunday evening local time in Bangkok, bombs exploded in several places acccross the Thai capital killing several people and injuring many more. All public Count-Down-Parties across the city has been cancelled.

The first bomb exploded at 17:47. The number of bombs and the size of the damage may be wrongly reported by the sources used for the following report, based on Thai news sources. Feel free to call the mobile phone of Editor Gregers Moller +66 8 1629 0117 if you have corrections or first hand knowledge of any further details.

The bombs reportedly exploded in the following locations:

Victory Monument (in Thai "Anusawari Chai")

- Time: about 6.30 pm

- The bomb was near a bus station outside the Dok Yai bookstore.

- The bomb was placed in a trashcan

- A tree broke in the explosion

- 15 injured, reported as 9 females and 4 male

- 1 Thai national, Mr. Songkran Kanchana killed as confirmed by authorities

Saphan Kwai

- Near the Big C supermarket

- A witness saw a man dropped a grenade from a pedestrian bridge just over the police box.

- The roof of the police box has a big hole.

- 2 people injured

- 1 person seriously injured.

Saphan Kwai BTS station

- Bomb found before it exploded.

Seacon Square

- Time 18:42

- At the Seacon Square Shopping Mall, a loud explosion went off at the parking space, creating a panic but no injury.

- Authorities ordered all shoppers to evacuate the mall, one of Bangkok largest, and all shops to close down for business.

- The explosion was at the motorcycle parking lot.

- No injuries reported.

In Seacon Square, a cleaner saw a can of potato chips of the Sprinkle brand. She took it with the intention of eating it, but then noticed there was a cable into the can. She then gave the can to a security guard, Mr. Vitoon Imnapae who took it outside to the small park. Here, he placed it on the ground and walked back to find a tire to lay around it to protect it if it was a bomb. Then it exploded. A person walking neaby got hurt.

Klong Toey

- Bomb exploded at the fresh market near the Na Ranong intersection.

- The bomb was hidden in a trash can near a Chinese spirit shrine exploded.

- The explosion caused a secondary explosion to a number of cookinggas cylinders that were situated nearby.

- 5 people injured, four adults and one girl 12 years hit in the leg

- Update 20.45: 7 injured

- 2 people reportedly killed

Khae Rai

- Bomb exploded at the Khae Rai intersection in Nonthaburi province just north of Bangkok

- The bomb was placed in a trash can near the police box

- No injuries.

- Police said the closed circuit TV monitors went out of action about 3 hours before.

Sukhumvit Soi 62

- Time: 18:30

- The bomb exploded at thre expressway intersection

- Glas shattered in two houses.

- One car which had just come down from the express way was damaged.

- No reported injuries

Yaowarat

- Time 18:50

Macro on Chaengwattana

Confusion:

- Reported bomb said to be an empty threat.

- Update: Bomb did explode, not a hoax.

Major Cineplex, Rachayothin

- The bomb was reported at around 21.00

- The bomb was placed in a trashcan on second floor in the car park.

As the news broke, all department stores in Bangkok asked customers to leave and closed down.

The Bangkok Skytrain system, BTS and the Subway train system, MRT, announced that they would keep running untill 12 midnight the 31 December and open again 6 o'clock.

Thai Airways say they have increased safety measures. More vigil checking of luggage and safety checking onboard the planes. All flights have moved check in times forward to be 2 hours before departure.

Government's spokesman Yongyuth Malyalarp urged the public to remain calm, adding that police officers have been instructed to stay on high alert, including areas where high concentration of people are expected to take part in the New Year's count down.

"Police reinforcement have been sent to various areas in the city. We urged the public to remain calm, continue with the celebration but at the same time keep a look out for any irregularities," Yongyuth said.

Thai New Agency quoted Surayud as asking people wishing to join new year party on Sunday night to avoid crowded areas.

The premier has ordered all security officers; police and soldiers, to reinforce in many areas in Bangkok. He ordered crime scene inspectors to collect all evidences from the attack scenes in order to know which groups mastermind the attacks. Later in the evening, Prime Minister Surayudh visited injured people at the Rachawithi Hospital and from there he went to Chulalongkorn Hospital where other injured were hospitalized.

Soldiers manned security check points at several MRT and BTS stations. Througout the city and its suburbs, many road intersections had soldiers deployed.

Elsewhere in Thailand, the news resulted in count down parties to be cancelled in Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen.

Midnight bomb attacks

Close to midnight two more bombs exploded near the main planned count down event outside Central World. Several foreigners were seriously injured. They were taken to Police Hospital and Rachawithi Hospital.

One bomb went off near the bridge over Klong Saen Saep crossing over to Pradoo Nam and the other was near the walk over to the Gaysorn Plaza opposite the square.

Central World at the Pradoo Nam harbour on the Klong Saen Saep

- Time: 00.04

- The bom exploded at the stop for passenger pick up trucks.

- Police say the bomb was hidden in the bumper tire in a car on the pier.

- 7 people injured. 6 people are foreigners, one person Thai.

- Road and intersection has been sealed off.

The Police Hospital informed at 01.10 that the nationalities of the injured were:

Serbia - 2 persons

UK - 1 person

US - 1 person

Hungary - 1 person

Thai - 1 person

Big C in Rajadamri

- A suspected bomb in a plastic bag outside a Telewiz shop on 1st floor turned out to contain just garbage.

Khao San

- A suspected bomb in Buddy Bar turned out to be false alarm.

Lumpini Night Bazaar

- A suspected bomb Bar turned out to be false alarm.

Who did it?

The police say they suspect people discontent with the military coup in September to be behind the attacks. The police does not believe it was people in the south of Thailand who have been exploding bombs and setting schools on fire who were behind the attack. :o

2006-12-31

apparently 4 to 7 bombs but i've also heard 2 gas bottles blew up after somebody dropped a hand grenade from a bridge. i've just spoke to my parents in england and its on the news there now! which is unsual for information like this to go out so quickly about thailand. who knows what the true reason behind these attacks is but it doesn't seem to be on the main entertainment areas of krueng thep (bangkok), not that, that is any consolation. however such cowardly attacks should be dealt with the most severe punishment! and hopefully a relative of any of the bombers does not get put in charge of driving trains on the bangkok bts! (as people from england will know what i say! and what a joke the uk is! and i really hope this does not happen in thailand) and i still have faith in the thai justice system! an eye for an eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMMENT

We shall not be cowered

space.gif

Whatever it was meant to be - an attempt to discredit the interim government, an expanded campaign of terror from the deep South, or the most serious warning yet that the peace and harmony of this Kingdom is facing its biggest and most menacing threat - we shall not let its masterminds have their way.

Thais must rise together to confront whoever was responsible for this most inhuman act, carried out with the most selfish reasons, and send them back a stronger message.

They want us to panic. They want us to point fingers, pass the blame and fight among ourselves. They want us to change our way of life. They want to aggravate our political turmoil. Whoever did it has great contempt for our national character and thus decided to put it to the acid test. Whoever did it looks with scorn upon Thais' love of peace and the nation's long-established unity. Whoever did it is pouring brutal insults on us as a nation.

We must not let them. Our parties may have been cancelled, our fun spoiled and our confidence shaken, but we shall make them see that their acts of cowardice and bloodlust will only bring us all closer together. They must be shown that while stores have been evacuated and celebrations abandoned, a common resolution is taking shape. The casualties and shattered debris at all corners of the capital must give rise to a strengthened national soul, simply because it's the opposite of what the masterminds want.

We shall help each other. We shall be vigilant. We shall be united. We shall do our best as Thai citizens to bring better times back to our country.

And we shall let them know that they will never win.

- The Nation

Seacon Square

- Time 18:42

- At the Seacon Square Shopping Mall, a loud explosion went off at the parking space, creating a panic but no injury.

- Authorities ordered all shoppers to evacuate the mall, one of Bangkok largest, and all shops to close down for business.

- The explosion was at the motorcycle parking lot.

- No injuries reported.

In Seacon Square, a cleaner saw a can of potato chips of the Sprinkle brand. She took it with the intention of eating it, but then noticed there was a cable into the can. She then gave the can to a security guard, Mr. Vitoon Imnapae who took it outside to the small park. Here, he placed it on the ground and walked back to find a tire to lay around it to protect it if it was a bomb. Then it exploded. A person walking neaby got hurt.

2006-12-31

Excellent post Rinrada.

I especially read (and quote) the section on Seacon Sq because

I was there the night before doing some shopping.

I know security guards don't earn too much here (or anywhere)

but this guy cerainly earned his wages here. A small medal might

not go amiss ?

:o:D:D

i also hear from the bbc news in england that they have tanks on the street! i'm in nonthaburi, i dont know for sure,but did they remove them after the coup? i never noticed them when i was shopping in bangkok! please note. i dont normally stay here

Call me crazy but this doesn't look like the work of people from the south. They wouldn't discriminate b/w killing foreigners or Thais but this looks to have targeted Thai hangouts. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the work of somebody trying to undermine the government.

i also hear from the bbc news in england that they have tanks on the street! i'm in nonthaburi, i dont know for sure,but did they remove them after the coup? i never noticed them when i was shopping in bangkok! please note. i dont normally stay here

No tanks on my street (Sukhimvit and Soi 16)

I went out of Bangkok for a day and heard all about the bombs on my way back in tonight and as such had several diversions due to roads being blocked off on my way in. The initial reports on the Thai rumour mill were that 75 people were killed in Victory Monument alone but then my sensible head kicked in and realised that it would have had to be have been a HUGE bomb to have caused that kind of casuality rate, and so started to dispute it. As it was it turned out, the figure was not so high with 2 dead and 20 wounded.

My initial gut reaction is that this is certain elements of the army showing discontent with e coup an current politicis in Thailand rather than that of someone from the South

It's been an interesting year in LOS this past year and 2007 will prove to be very interesting indeed f the trend continues

Edited by Casanundra

My BBC does not show this.

More Breaking News in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99219

george if your the man i just met in surin and at petteris house, i have just spoke to my parents in england and thats what they say is on the news in england wheter it is true or not from the thai foriegn affirs department i dont no but that is what i have just been told. anyway george great info you are posting on the current affairs

the tourist industry is not the whole countries economy - and the blasts might save the weakening economy (as 9/11 saved for sometimes the american economy)

I really can't believe you said that! The American economy was seriously damaged by the attack. The effects will be felt for years to come.

Please think before you type!!! This is not the time for thoughtless statements like yours.

My sincere condolences to all the injured, their familits, and Thailand for this pathetic act of cowardice. May the perpetrators have many years to rot in prision.

Don