Purchasing bitcoin with Thai baht

Trujillo

I see the Banking Forum in this topic thread's future...

Also, try the ThaiVisa Banking Forum:

Opening Bitcoin Account in Thailand?
Started by BMW Overlander, Yesterday at 10:25 AM

Basic Bitcoin help ... in person?/Pattaya/Bkk
Started by cocteau2x, Wednesday at 01:49 PM

Anyone still interested in bitcoins?
Started by speedtripler, Friday at 10:31 PM

Bitcoin ATM in Bangkok to take out Thaibaht? (overseas transfer)
Started by Sojuncoke, June 29

Etc, etc, etc...

isn't it a bit too late to be buying bitcoin. the last time i looked a bitcoin was 89,000 THB

far more than a baht of gold at about 20,000 THB.

after this astronomical rise can bitcoin go any higher

or even keep its value.

I have used localbitcoins.com successfully a couple of times.

Basically it works like this. 

1. You select that you want to buy bitcoins in thailand.

2. A list of sellers are displayed. These sellers set their own rates. The sellers accept different payment methods. For example deposit to their private thai bank account. Yes anyone can be a seller. Even you! 

3. You select seller and make arrangements.

How to trust seller? They have reviews etc.

41 minutes ago, mjef said:

This is a reliable exchange I used to buy from. However, the spread is way too big though. But it's probably the most reliable exchange you can find in Thai Baht.

https://bitcoin.co.th/

Yes I agree. The spread is ridiculous. The whole point of bitcoin is to avoid banking rip off charges, spreads and exchange rates. The spread on that site plus the fees get you right up there with banks. What is the point.

Den 

11 minutes ago, denby45 said:

Yes I agree. The spread is ridiculous. The whole point of bitcoin is to avoid banking rip off charges, spreads and exchange rates. The spread on that site plus the fees get you right up there with banks. What is the point.

Den 

Yeah, the reason banks can rip people off so easily is because they barely have any competition... With bitcoin its the same.. Not much competition for selling bitcoin in thailand i guess.. 

39 minutes ago, denby45 said:

Den 

How much is the average spread in Thailand on BTC and does it have volume restrictions?

2 hours ago, hobz said:

I have used localbitcoins.com successfully a couple of times.

Basically it works like this. 

1. You select that you want to buy bitcoins in thailand.

2. A list of sellers are displayed. These sellers set their own rates. The sellers accept different payment methods. For example deposit to their private thai bank account. Yes anyone can be a seller. Even you! 

3. You select seller and make arrangements.

I had my localbitcoins account hacked the other day.........luckily there was nothing in there

Local Bitcoins is the site I have used, tho its been about a year. Sorry to read a post that someone was hacked. I don't know, I just use it to locate a seller make arrangements, receive the coin and send it on. They seem to do a good enough job with securing the site to do at least that. If I am not mistaken, if you have a problem  you can easily contact their ownership which is in Scandanavia somewhere, I believe. They seem to be a much used and smooth running site.

Also, even if Bitcoin is still hovering at the top of its range 1 bitcoin/$2520 U.S. it has its uses. If you just buy enough for what you need them for it can be worth it.

And if you want to spend time and really sweat it out, you can trade it for any of many other relatively viable cybercurrencies which are on upswings relative to Bitcoin. You can also shortsell on many cybercurrency exchanges. The Poloniex exchange works pretty well for me, Bitrex is another exchange that seems to be good. You can also find the charts of the exchanges on the free charts website Tradingview which lets you plug in all kinds of analysis indicators and algorithms. Not for everyone and you could more easily see your initial investment dwindle as Bitcoin seems to have nowhere to go but down currently. If you'd bought them a year or so ago they would have gone up 500% or so in that time. Your only regret would then have been that you couldn't have bought enough of them.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

6 hours ago, hobz said:

So does Amazon and many dodgy sites!

7 hours ago, jobsworth said:

or even keep its value.

A 'South Seas Bubble' on the way?

16 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

If I am not mistaken, if you have a problem  you can easily contact their ownership which is in Scandanavia somewhere, I believe.

So you don't really know how it works or how to get your 'money' back when it all goes wrong.

I love the faith you guys have in this huge Con.

As far as I can tell, the OP was not asking for investment advice, he was only asking for options for purchasing bitcoin in Thailand. While there are certainly dodgy places to spend bitcoin, I would argue there are many more dodgy places to spend your Baht. There's plenty of ways to legitimately use bitcoin these days. I've used https://coins.co.th/ for ages without any issues. I don't use bitcoin as an investment, so I don't keep any funds in my wallet, I only exchange funds in/out as needed. I'd recommend using an offline software wallet for storing your bitcoin, just in case your exchange goes belly up, as these things unfortunately have a tendency to do.

I first got on the Etherium train (via coinbase.com) a few months back when it was averaging $7~11 and have made a considerable 3000% return. It's headed gradually south at the moment, but once it goes below $200 I'll be buying in again. Etherium is much more than a digital currency, well actually it isn't much of a digital currency at the moment, but we're seeing a lot of major global corporations and ambitious startups already leveraging the technology, the results of which will become apparent in the coming months. I'm not gonna say whether it's a good or safe investment for you or not, do the research and decide for yourself.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

So does Amazon and many dodgy sites!

A 'South Seas Bubble' on the way?

So you don't really know how it works or how to get your 'money' back when it all goes wrong.

I love the faith you guys have in this huge Con.

To venture a few hundred dollars in something that you are interested in such as cybercurrencies is hardly getting conned. I don't recall what exactly the terms were at Localbitcoins, of course I was well aware I could have been ripped off by the site the seller or a hacker, but the same could happen to you via a conventional wire transfer from abroad to Thailand. I think you are rather overstating the relative risks.

I have ordered books from Amazon to ship to Thailand for several years, books that will never appear in any shop in Asia, ever. They are always delivered as promised and at prices most western published books go for in Thailand, so again,  it can be godsend. It isn't any dodgier than anything else on internet and sometimes internet is our only option in Thailand.

On 7/9/2017 at 8:32 PM, RichCor said:

I see the Banking Forum in this topic thread's future...

Also, try the ThaiVisa Banking Forum:

Opening Bitcoin Account in Thailand?
Started by BMW Overlander, Yesterday at 10:25 AM

Basic Bitcoin help ... in person?/Pattaya/Bkk
Started by cocteau2x, Wednesday at 01:49 PM

Anyone still interested in bitcoins?
Started by speedtripler, Friday at 10:31 PM

Bitcoin ATM in Bangkok to take out Thaibaht? (overseas transfer)
Started by Sojuncoke, June 29

Etc, etc, etc...

The price is way too high. I really don't understand if this is going to be the future or just a bobble as not many major countries accepting it like USA, China, India etc. The price up to 3000 Dollar and suddenly down to 2000 dollar. The same is happening with another digital currency by Russia made be Mr Puttin. There are too much discussion that criminals can use this currency and therefore I personally scare to invest in something that can just blow away.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, DLang said:
On 9/30/2017 at 2:51 PM, Trujillo said:

If you had purchased one BTC when I first opened this thread, you would today have US$2,000 more than you spent. 

Any how many now? :biggrin:

Bitcoin is trading at US$ 9683.29 at the moment.  

So you'd have a lot more.

On 7/10/2017 at 8:22 AM, jobsworth said:

isn't it a bit too late to be buying bitcoin. the last time i looked a bitcoin was 89,000 THB

far more than a baht of gold at about 20,000 THB.

or even keep its value.

4 1/2 months later and it's increased just under 500% 

On 11/28/2017 at 11:42 AM, Bill97 said:

They are selling tulip bulbs by the thousands at the KhanTiang market and taking deposits for next year's crop.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

My tulip bulbs are worth $10,500 each as of today. 

On 7/12/2017 at 7:43 AM, mrfaroukh said:

The price is way too high........ price up to 3000 Dollar and suddenly down to 2000 dollar.

That way too high price of $2,000 in July would now be $10,000+ if you had bought.