Seven central provinces told to brace for possible flooding

webfact

Seven central provinces told to brace for possible flooding

By Thai PBS

flood-warning.png

BANGKOK: -- Residents in seven central provinces were told to move their belongings to higher ground in anticipation of possible flooding as a consequence of increasing level of water in the Chao Phraya both upstream and downstream of the Chao Phraya dam coupled with expected more rains from low pressure unit.

Warning of possible warning was on Sunday sent to the governors of Chainat, Uthai Thani, Sing Buri, Lop Buri, Ang Thong, Suphan Buri and Ayhutthaya by Mr Suchart  Charoensri, director  of the 12th irrigation office based in Chainat.

He said that the low pressure unit would bring more rains and possible flash flood in the seven central provinces as huge mass of water has flown into the Chao Phraya river measured at 976 cubic metres per second – an increase of  528 cubic metres from last week.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/seven-central-provinces-told-brace-possible-flooding/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-10

53 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Here's their contact details so that you can make your  proof reading suggestion to them:

http://www2.thaipbs.or.th/contact.php

For anyone with experience here, I must say it's an excellent idea. Thai companies are always ready and willing to take onboard ideas on how to improve their business by improving the quality of their English Language output.

Now can anyone help me get my tongue out, it appears to be glued to the inside of my cheek.

I do remember the Government saying

They will have the flood situation under control this year !

People don't despair or shed a tear !

For the floods will come have no fear !

Sorry ! broke out into a bit of poetry totally unintended !!!!

i must say here in Wichianburi [Phetchabun province] it has been a very good wet season so far,rain nearly ever night from mid may on,last night was torrential nearly 79mm,but kind of romantic as i was cuddled up to my girlfriend,listening to the rain drumming on the roof.

I am a little confused by this report.

This are the reports of the state of the large and medium reservoirs as of 07:00 this morning.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/show_sm_dam.php?lang=en

Somewhat different to the main story.

Click on a dam and you will see the results from 2017, 2016 and 2015.

7 hours ago, tracker1 said:

I do remember the Government saying

They will have the flood situation under control this year !

People don't despair or shed a tear !

For the floods will come have no fear !

Sorry ! broke out into a bit of poetry totally unintended !!!!

I think there is a certain General / P.M. that would like to hear from you for some lessons :))))

Well, the Nan river outside our front door is certainly not in flood, not even close, so have they been backing up the regular  flow down at the Chao Phraya dam combined with local run off from the usual storms? As billd766 posted, the two massive northern dams, Bhumibol & Sirikit, are nowhere near capacity so whats happening?

7 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Well, the Nan river outside our front door is certainly not in flood, not even close, so have they been backing up the regular  flow down at the Chao Phraya dam combined with local run off from the usual storms? As billd766 posted, the two massive northern dams, Bhumibol & Sirikit, are nowhere near capacity so whats happening?

Cover your ass or C.Y.A. is activity, usually in a work-related or bureaucratic context, done by an individual to protect himself or herself from possible subsequent criticism, legal penalties or other repercussions.

Clicking around on those links above, it seems that in 2011 there was a massive increase in water storage between May and August. This is when it was speculated that the powers that be were trying their best to hold back the waters to allow the rice crop to be harvested in order to win votes. This, of course, eventually resulted in the deluge of water in September and October as the dams were beyond capacity and they had no ability to mitigate anything. This was the core of the mismanagement charge back then.

I think what the above notice is saying is not to expect a repeat of 2011 this time around. They are going to let the waters along the Chao Phraya flood now so that there is still some spare capacity to control the flooding later. It isn't so much the water level right now, but the water level they expect to come in a few months.  They are going to allow for a longer period of mild floods, vs. a massive flood in a single event.

Having wound up on the wrong side of the big bag barrier dam in 2011 and suffered nearly a million baht in damages to my house, I thoroughly support their decision. Of course, if the expected rains don't come, and the dams wind up below capacity when the rains stop, they are going to take a beating from everyone for causing a flood and then causing a drought due to this decision.  Not a job I would want.