Gold shop robbed in Nakhon Si Thammarat

snoop1130

Gold shop robbed in Nakhon Si Thammarat

rob2.jpg

An armed man broke into a gold shop in Ron Phibun district and made off with 2.50-baht weight of gold necklace in a daylight robbery on Monday morning (July 10), police said.

Pol Lt Col Suthas Songsayom, deputy superintendent of Ron Phibun police, led a team of of forensic police and investigators rushed to Sor Namchai 2 gold shop at the Mai La intersectin market on Nakhon Si Thammarat – Thung Song road after being informed of the robbery, which occurred at about 8am.

Suchart Puangsripong, 53, the shop owner, told the police that when he opened the shop as usual in the morning, a man who was wearing a hood and a crash helmet to hide his face, broke inside and forced him with a handgun not to put up resistance.

The man then smashed the glass showcase with an axe and grabbed five gold necklaces, weighing 2.50 baht altogether, before running out of the shop.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gold-shop-robbed-nakhon-si-thammarat/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-7-10

Sergeant, wife nabbed after gold heist

goldshop.jpg

An army sergeant and his wife have been arrested in connection with a gold shop robbery in Nakhon Si Thammarat’s Ron Phibun district on Monday (July 10) morning.

Police identified the two as Sgt Chaichart Meechana, 37, a non-commissioned officer attached to Rattanarangsan military camp in Ranong province, and his wife Mrs Wannarat, 38.

Sgt Chaichart and Mrs Wannarat were arrested on Friday (July 14) under warrants issued by the Thung Song Provincial Court.

On July 10, a robber broke into Sor Namchai 2 gold shop in Ron Phibun district, forced the shop owner with a handgun to stay put, smashed a glass showcase with an axe and took away five .50-bath weight gold necklaces, weighing altogether 2.50 baht.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sergeant-wife-nabbed-gold-heist/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-16

Yeah, its 2.5 baht as in the weight of gold. Confusing if you don't know that baht is a weight measure also. I would agree with Nemisis7 that he could have taken a lot more than he did and made it worth the risk of a prison sentence. Even 50,000 doesn't go that far.

57 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, about 50k in monetary terms.

Yes the confusing thing of 2.50 baht of gold next to 250 baht of money.  Had me confused for over a year and my wife did not know.  My current thinking is that it is a Thai confusion over using the wrong word for tiny standard weight bars of an ounce or so of alloyed gold. Calling a tiny bar a baht.   Each necklace or jewellery item is made from a listed number of these small bars (bahts???)  of alloyed jewellery manufacturing gold and is referred to as "a 1, 2 , 3 etc Baht" item.    Manufacturing gold is alloyed, because 24 carat pure gold is too soft to make jewellery out of.  It is made stronger but a little lighter by alloying it.   I think a small percentage of copper is used.   Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I would like to be sure, but that explanation is what looks logical.

Edited by The Deerhunter

2 hours ago, Nemesis7 said:

Heist at gold shop with gun and all these for 250  Bhat?!? Quiet a story . What were they thinking really ? 

the term   "thinking"    must not be used lightly

adjective

1. 1.
    using thought or rational judgment; intelligent.
    "he seemed to be a thinking man"
    synonyms: intelligent, sensible, reasonable, rational;