Prayut prepares for a tricky Washington trip

webfact

EDITORIAL

By The Nation

President Trump’s unpredictability aside, Thailand has to be ready for challenges on trade and China

BANGKOK: -- It’s to be assumed that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and his advisers are taking full advantage of the delay in his planned visit to Washington. The extra time will let them better assess US President Donald Trump, whose character and administration have confounded observers since the day he took office.

It no doubt came as a great relief for the ruling junta and military-led government that Trump has not once spoken out about the suppression of democracy here or Thailand’s poor reputation regarding human rights. Of course, that lack of criticism thus far doesn’t necessarily mean Thailand can expect any fresh benefits from its relationship with the US.

The Thai government interpreted Trump’s phone call to Prayut in April as a tacit blessing of his military rule, which had so irked the Obama administration. The invitation to Washington was regarded as a policy shift, an indicator that Washington no longer minds the abandonment of electoral democracy here. A general who topples a civilian government and seizes the premier’s post can now expect a warm handshake from the US president. Bilateral relations under the Trump administration are to be based on economic and strategic interests, not piddling matters such as democracy, rights and freedoms.

If that much seems clear to the junta, there can be nothing clear about Trump’s foreign policy. Debate is currently raging as to whether the president’s initial forays overseas have signalled American disinterest in playing a leading role in international affairs. His ambition to “make America great again” has had an inward focus from the start. Trump wants to pump up the domestic economy and is more interested in correcting foreign trade imbalances than keeping other nations on the democratic track.

For its part, Thailand will need to appease him regarding intellectual property rights, our trade surplus and our investment barriers. Trump pulled the US out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which promised to become a huge trading bloc, because he wants to negotiate bilateral deals with individual countries.     

What the junta can also count on from Trump’s America is a continuing strong military presence in the Asia-Pacific region. That should be good news, but it also forces Thailand to prioritise its links between the US and China, to which our generals have drawn closer.

Thailand is a US treaty ally, and the Pentagon has consistently wanted the Thai military on board amid occasional rising strategic threats in the region. What Washington currently perceives as threats, however – North Korea’s nukes and Beijing’s aggression in the South China Sea – can only add to Thai discomfort. Even if the antagonists don’t come to blows, the US has made it clear that its treaty allies should be helping it in any showdown over marine territory or missile tests.

The junta must also consider where it’s buying its military hardware. Thailand has purchased tanks, personnel carriers and submarines from China. Trump has the same gear for sale. Prayut is making a shopping list ahead of his trip to the White House, which so far includes more Black Hawk helicopters for the Army. It’s not like Thailand has a lot of money left to spend at the moment, however.

Personal gestures aside, Prayut’s visit to Washington is not as important as figuring out how Thailand can best benefit from its relationship with the US. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/today_editorial/30320403

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-11

They should also be looking for a good hiding pl;ace for the recorder as it seems that Trump's interpretation and "tweeting" of what is said and agreed to during his meetings  differs from the others that attended the meeting!

1 hour ago, webfact said:

English-Thai-English dictionary - check

Scrapbook for penning poems in spare time - check

3 dozen Mama cup noodles - check

Emergency assistance number in China - check

Special glasses to only see crowds of supporters - check

Practice power handshake - pending

Anything else?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Thai government interpreted Trump’s phone call to Prayut in April as a tacit blessing of his military rule, which had so irked the Obama administration.

This assumes that Trump even knew who he was talking to. As I don't think Trump has a hotel in Thailand, I doubt he could find Thailand on a map.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha has spoke in Washington before at the UN assembly.

He is very adverse with speaking to leading officials and is not the slightest bit concerned or intimidated.  I am sure he will conduct the talks in a very professional manner and it can only build ties closer for the two countries.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha  :wai:

596411e9cfcad_KhunPrayuth.jpg.590a56d05447db5576799552899d98e1.jpg

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

He is very adverse with speaking to leading officials and is not the slightest bit concerned or intimidated.  I am sure he will conduct the talks in a very professional manner and it can only build ties closer for the two countries.

Best joke of the week, keep it up mate, nothing better than a good joke first thing in the morning. :cheesy:

"Adverse"

adjective: preventing success or development; harmful; unfavorable.

Are you sure that is what you meant?

31 minutes ago, tonray said:

I sure hope someone briefs Trump on what 'subjects' not to tweet about. It would be a shame if Thailand has to ban him from entry.

As time goes on my admiration for Trump increases, a man democratically elected, who also tells it as he sees it

The powerful way he met with Putin again to be admired, Trump breathed power, Putin looked meek 

I look forward to seeing the reaction to self appointed Army General, note Trumps recent statement of disapproval on Cuba

My advice to the General would be keep your head down, it could get cut off, and better still do not go

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Just a couple of days ago Trump referred to Xi Jinping as the president of Taiwan... so it's anyone's guess who he's expecting on this visit. 

that probably shows his understanding of the One China Policy

20 minutes ago, al007 said:

As time goes on my admiration for Trump increases, a man democratically elected, who also tells it as he sees it

The powerful way he met with Putin again to be admired, Trump breathed power, Putin looked meek 

I look forward to seeing the reaction to self appointed Army General, note Trumps recent statement of disapproval on Cuba

My advice to the General would be keep your head down, it could get cut off, and better still do not go

So you liked the way he 'manhandled' Putin eh ? :cheesy:

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Just a couple of days ago Trump referred to Xi Jinping as the president of Taiwan... so it's anyone's guess who he's expecting on this visit. 

How many of his fellow Americans even know about the difference between China and Taiwan? Time to make Americans think again.

59 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

that probably shows his understanding of the One China Policy

I agree, most TV posters have no clue what China is about or what it's really up to, along with 'One China Policy'. 

3 hours ago, wayned said:

They should also be looking for a good hiding pl;ace for the recorder as it seems that Trump's interpretation and "tweeting" of what is said and agreed to during his meetings  differs from the others that attended the meeting!

When?

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Yes he has spoken at the UN, and wasn't intimidated, but I doubt anyone else in the audience was. Was there actually an audience?

A new photo for your collection.

59644298a8afb_Prayuthun.thumb.jpg.43e0907ffe8df6db79a334ce9769568b.jpg

Edited by janclaes47

1 hour ago, al007 said:

I hope you post is one of wit and sarcasm

33 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes he has spoken at the UN, and wasn't intimidated, but I doubt anyone else in the audience was. Was there actually an audience?

A new photo for your collection.

59644298a8afb_Prayuthun.thumb.jpg.43e0907ffe8df6db79a334ce9769568b.jpg

I don't expect Khun Prayuth is that interested in the US & Trump anyway ....  half of Americans confuse Thailand with Taiwan ....

1 hour ago,  al007 said: 

17 minutes ago, MorristheRunt said:

I hope you post is one of wit and sarcasm

No sir very serious, however I am just an old Englishman, who like everyone is entitled to his views

I find it so hard to see why in the worlds largest democracy there is so much anger to its democratically elected leader by the American people, soon there will be civil war, is this a statement America does not agree with democracy

On the other hand in Thailand with a self appointed leader the people appear to accept it       :post-4641-1156694572:         :passifier:

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I don't expect Khun Prayuth is that interested in the US & Trump anyway ....  half of Americans confuse Thailand with Taiwan ....

I presume you are referring to the Americans living here        :post-4641-1156694572:                :post-4641-1156694083:

13 minutes ago, al007 said:

1 hour ago,  al007 said: 

No sir very serious, however I am just an old Englishman, who like everyone is entitled to his views

I find it so hard to see why in the worlds largest democracy there is so much anger to its democratically elected leader by the American people, soon there will be civil war, is this a statement America does not agree with democracy

On the other hand in Thailand with a self appointed leader the people appear to accept it       :post-4641-1156694572:         :passifier:

Just goes to show that how democracy is nothing more than a fancy word ..... 

It means nothing.  It's a smokescreen to make all things look ok ...

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I can just see Trump getting confused and asking the silly little general to fetch him a drink, or where to get the best Chinese "massage"!

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Just goes to show that how democracy is nothing more than a fancy word ..... 

It means nothing.  It's a smokescreen to make all things look ok ...

Not perfect but still much better than seizing power through the barrel of a gun.