The Hangout - The Game - Rock City

pgrahmm

Just noticed in passing there's new white lettering across the windows - ROCK CITY ....

Guessing there's a new venue/start up there....

Does anyone know anything about this new place?

That building seems like cannon fodder for Kad Farang (and for us) whenever somebody gets brave....

ES - any new revelations?

no revelations at all  cobber

yes agreed ,  perhaps  good cannonn fodder  for the landlords, etc etc,, but the former Hangout did have great live music playing on my three visits,which i enjoyed  very mutch

sadly it closed its doors,  as the Capital went dry :sad:

its a   Cat  Stevens   late arvo to all

• 2 weeks later...

Rock City has American owner, food burgers, pizzas and all other farang food. Beers i was told at resonable prices. He is going to have a hotrod parked at the entrance and an old petrol bowser too.

24 minutes ago, marcho said:

Rock City has American owner, food burgers, pizzas and all other farang food. Beers i was told at resonable prices. He is going to have a hotrod parked at the entrance and an old petrol bowser too.

Sounds good but not enough farang base there abouts....

8 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Sounds good but not enough farang base there abouts....

There are plenty of farang living south of the city to make it a go but you need to have something worthwhile to draw them in.  Over pricing on the drinks and sub par food won't hack it.   Give people good value for their money and a good atmosphere to meet at and there is no reason why this location couldn't work.  The new owners just need to learn from the mistakes of the prior owners but that is always easier said than done. 

Anyway, it will be interesting to check it out once it opens and it will be easy to determine whether it's going to tank or if its got life. 

45 minutes ago, tyznd said:

There are plenty of farang living south of the city to make it a go but you need to have something worthwhile to draw them in.  Over pricing on the drinks and sub par food won't hack it.   Give people good value for their money and a good atmosphere to meet at and there is no reason why this location couldn't work.  The new owners just need to learn from the mistakes of the prior owners but that is always easier said than done. 

Anyway, it will be interesting to check it out once it opens and it will be easy to determine whether it's going to tank or if its got life. 

There's a few (I could bicycle there) but it's not largely the pub going, circulating crowd; it's the more settled in moo baan folks.....It's way too far for any foot traffic or passer's by.....Used to be a few music venues around there and the only one's consistently getting crowds were the Thai places.... 

That's where the longevity comes from is the Thai community money....

Other than Rim Ping nothing there draws a large share of farang money.....And most visits there I'm well outnumbered by Thais.....

The neighborhood's are predominantly (95%?+) Thai & maybe 20-30% farang in some of the moo baans....

I wish them luck, but don't realistically see it happening....

Maybe....

So no one can say whether or not this place is open yet? 

I often wonder why anyone bothers coming to this forum as either you often get wrong information or no answer at all.  Not worth the time to post but now that I said that I'm sure the posts will come rolling in.

2 hours ago, tyznd said:

I often wonder why anyone bothers coming to this forum as either you often get wrong information or no answer at all.  Not worth the time to post but now that I said that I'm sure the posts will come rolling in.

Drove by yesterday about 15:30 and 3 cars that I could see in the parking lot....Unknown whether connected to the new place or not....

Really don't know whether a bar or music venue, or a restaurant.....So have no idea when's the right time to look....

Usually not around there at night....

4 hours ago, tyznd said:

Maybe it's just not that important to other people? But of course instead of whining about a lack of response you could go and see for yourself!

Regards,

Joe

4 hours ago, tyznd said:

Its a longggg way from the city. The number of people on this forum passing by it would be minimal.

It appear from comments that unless you are actually parked there you wouldn't even see it from the road.

Maybe they should become a Thai Visa sponsor with free beers on offer  then you would soon find out:partytime2:

I just got back from Hang Dong at 15:00, from Home Pro.  I used to live out there years ago.  I noticed that the expat population out there has gotten very old.  There were more old farang shuffling their feet; than there were Thai "shufflers.". Things change fast in SEA.  Took a yellow songtaew back to CM Gate for 10 THB.  Without knowing promos or deals; a bar visit ain't happening...maybe some of the old folks will shuffle in for a beer with their meds.

7 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I just got back from Hang Dong at 15:00, from Home Pro.  I used to live out there years ago.  I noticed that the expat population out there has gotten very old.  There were more old farang shuffling their feet; than there were Thai "shufflers.". Things change fast in SEA.  Took a yellow songtaew back to CM Gate for 10 THB.  Without knowing promos or deals; a bar visit ain't happening...maybe some of the old folks will shuffle in for a beer with their meds.

Now that you body slammed a bunch of folks - didn't get anywhere near the place we're talking about - but talked about a songteaw ride to a completely different area.....

You have the right thread? Or just a bit irritable now and then?

Sounds like you fit in nicely with your descriptive narative - your first selfie body slam.....?

FB_IMG_1498139085030.jpg

FB_IMG_1498402316002.jpg

9 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Is it a crime to get older or have you discovered the magic potion to get younger? Not the first time you have slagged off the aged its one of you obsessions.

I live in Wangtan village,Hang Dong and I can asure you there are plenty of youngish expats living here but doubt tripping out to this new venue, which is a long way from our village and Mae Hia, will be a priority.

I struck a nerve.  I didn't say anything was wrote g with getting old, just that Hang Dong's population of farang is a lot older than it used to be.  Maybe that explains so few complaints about the jetliners flying 70 meters over your head.  They don't notice them.  The location in question seems to be more of a death sentence than a successful business location.  Another leased making wrong assumptions about the local demographics,not to mention  the locals are up to their eyeballs in debts.  What do these small businesses have against marketing?

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

29 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I struck a nerve.  I didn't say anything was wrote g with getting old, just that Hang Dong's population of farang is a lot older than it used to be.  Maybe that explains so few complaints about the jetliners flying 70 meters over your head.  They don't notice them.  The location in question seems to be more of a death sentence than a successful business location.  Another leased making wrong assumptions about the local demographics,not to mention  the locals are up to their eyeballs in debts.  What do these small businesses have against marketing?

The irony of that post was solid, pure, comedic gold....

But it did have a ring of truth - the further away from town, generally the more established & stable (the farangs)....Where we are - seldom is an airplane ever heard, it's a non event....

Edited by pgrahmm

9 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I am interested how you come to the assumption that in our part of the world that its a predominately ageing  population ,maybe you did a door knock survey.

There are in our village Wangtan, many 25-40 years olds working from home on the net and one of the local Thai restaurants, outside of the village, has high visitation of German families, ie Adults in their 30's-40's with young families, who teach at the local German /Thai schools.

At my Doctors I meet an increasing number of US/Canadian/British couples, again with young familes, that live well south of town, but I doubt they make up the profile of potential customers for Rock City. For a business like that to survive it needs to be on the tourist route and Kad Farang does not,and probably never will, fill that bill.

As for jetliners flying 70 m above our heads that is just a ridiculous statement 

4 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Yes, the Geriatric Hospital was built for Digital Nomads.

Why are you so adamant about attacking based on age?

Get over yourself, you're not that important away from your own image in the mirror....

None of us are, but I don't see anybody else compelled towards and/or indiscriminately attacking here.....

Seems to be a singular problem...

FB_IMG_1496489467706.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Update - My family wanted northern food so we went to the restaurant in Kad Farang last Saturday....I wanted pizza....

There were cars in their lot so I walked to Rock City....As I peeked through the door a couple of guys yelled at me to come on in....Pleasant enough guys - but they aren't quite open yet....They're delayed by a roof leak but indicated they are targeting the 16th as a date to be up and running....

They are going to feature a western (American) style menu along with Mexican & Thai food...They, themselves are originally from the states.....Up from Pattaya.....

The place looks nicely upgraded on the inside....Nice ZZ Top style hot rod sitting on the front veranda/porch....

Edited by pgrahmm

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

they are targeting the 16th as a date to be up and running....

Sensible. The new alcohol tax laws come into effect on the 16th September, so they have the morning to figure out the menu prices if no info is forthcoming before.

• 3 weeks later...