First time doing a visa (education)

My school got my letter from the MOE and now I have 2 options: pay an agency 7900 baht to arrange everything or do it by myself. The idea of having a Thai drive me 14 hours through the night (possibly in heavy rain) makes me feel a bit nervous so I'm looking into doing it myself but I haven't been able to find much info on it. How difficult is the process for a newbie?  I have  a USA passport, if that matters.

As I understand it the process is: Fly to Udon and then take a bus or shuttle to Nong Kai. From there there's a bus that will take me across the bridge to Laos. I'll need to fill out a form and pay $35 US for a Lao visa which will let me stay there for 30 days. Then I go to the Thai embassy and give them my letter from MOE and I can come back the next day to get the visa. I'm not sure where to go at the embassy though. I gave my school 16 passport photos to do the application. Do I need any more for the embassy in Laos?

Can I use Thai baht for the taxis and hotel in Laos or will I need to change it To kip?

Is this right? Am I missing anything? Any other advice for a first timer? Thanks.

There is van that goes from the airport in Udon to the bridge.

You will need one photo for the Lao visa on arrival form. Lao visa on arrival form.pdf

You will need two 3.5 X 4.5 photos for the Thai visa application.

You will apply for the visa at consular section of the embassy. Map: https://goo.gl/maps/DUDbKm8LVHy

Here is a list of the required doucments to apply for the non-ed visa. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non- ED & O.pdf

The fee for the visa will be 2000 baht.

• Like 2

Thanks!

The paperwork needs to be turned in before noon right? I don't think I'll be able to get there early enough to do it in one day. Are there hotels near the bridge? I was planning on flying up there and spending a night in Nong Kai then doing it first thing the next morning.

3 minutes ago, kikenyoy said:

Thanks!

The paperwork needs to be turned in before noon right? I don't think I'll be able to get there early enough to do it in one day. Are there hotels near the bridge? I was planning on flying up there and spending a night in Nong Kai then doing it first thing the next morning.

There are some hotels in Nong Khai , not much else there though

May as well go and stay in Vientianne

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kikenyoy said:

Thanks!

If you take one of the first flights from Don Mueang you can do the application on the same day.

They accept applications until 11:30. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kikenyoy said:

Yes, but that would mean waking up at about 4am to get there from Pattaya. I'd rather spend an extra night in Nong Kai or Vientiane than try to do that. Right now that's my bedtime 555. Thanks for the help.

That is correct if going to Don Mueang from Pattaya.

Air Asia has flights from Utapao to Udon but the first flight arrives to late to apply for the visa.

• Like 1

It would be best to do it yourself and get there the day/evening before. 

Arriving at Udon Thani around mid-day should ensure an easy ride up to Nongkhai. Cost should be no more than 300 BHT for a van to the border. You'll have to walk up to the border crossing and once there fill out the entry visa application. 

I recall the Lao entry visa fee costing more than $35 USD. Perhaps the Lao government has reduced the cost out of the kindness of their hearts? Be sure you have the exact amount in USD because they will not give you change. (e.g. If the cost is $35 and you give them a $40 you will not get any change.) I'm not sure if they provide change if the fee is paid in Baht. 

There are buses and taxis which will take you to Vientiane, on the other side of the border crossing. Not sure what part of town the bus will drop you off in. You could get a Lao SIM card at the border to have some GPS help from your phone. 

Lots of places to stay in the Chao Anouvong Park area which is only a km or two from the consulate where you will apply for your visa. Look on a map and you should be able to find a place to your budget/liking. 

The Chao Anouvong Park area is probably best as there is a night market, plenty of cafes/restaurants and NOW a  modern convenience store or two. Just about everything closes up by midnight. Most places earlier than that. There are a few bars and restaurants which will be open a bit later in case you need a drink or something to eat.

Wake up early the next morning and try to get to the consulate at least an hour before they begin allowing people to enter. The cyclos/tuk tuks will try to overcharge you, so, check with staff at the place where you are staying to get an idea of the current rate. I recall the drivers asking for 25,000 Kip for a one-way ride which is way too much. I paid them 15,000 Kip (which is still too much) but better than 25. When I told the girl working at the front desk of the hotel I was staying in how much they were charging she laughed and said they were ripping me off. Nevertheless, that is about the rate you will be charged unless you rent a bike (bad idea) or walk. 

Be sure to go to the consulate on Soi Rue Bourichane near Cafe Nomad and The Pizza Company. 

Even if you arrive an hour before the consulate opens there will still be people waiting outside. 16 pictures is an abnormal amount. Sounds like way too many. Be sure you have copies of the required documents, photocopied pages of your passport and that the photos you provide of are the correct size and have a white background.

There is a place upstairs to make copies and have photos taken at the consulate. Be sure to have coins for any sudden photo copies they might request. 

Once the doors open, get inside and get a number as fast as you can in order to save yourself time. As long as your paperwork is in order, you should be out of there by lunchtime; however, you will have to come back the next day to pick up your passport which will hopefully contain your new student visa. 

After leaving the consulate, there will be tuk tuks offering you a ride back. They will bargain with you on the price but will not leave immediately as they want to fill up the vehicle before departure. Keep this in mind when setting a price with the driver. 

You could just walk over to the Patuxay Monument afterwards, take a few photos and then head back to the riverside to relax at a cafe before the night market begins to bustle. 

So, you're looking at spending two nights in Vientiane. Get there on Monday evening, apply for visa on Tuesday morning, pick up passport on Wednesday morning (maybe afternoon) and back in Happyland by nightfall.

• Like 1