Motorbike Tours

Beng

4 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Wow what a fantastic link... now to talk the missus into going for a ride!

I married the right woman... She usually is the first one to say 'Sun's out! let's go on a bike ride!'

Bike RedRidingHood.jpg

Edited by FolkGuitar

Unfortunately (and especially once you get out of town) Google Maps can be several kilometers off (I know this from experience- people drop a pin instead of using an actual GPS unit to mark their locations, and this can be very inaccurate)- having the coordinates from the exact destination can save a lot of hassle.

As I said, I like the site, but I tried to offer a suggestion that would improve it.

4 hours ago, flare said:

Unfortunately (and especially once you get out of town) Google Maps can be several kilometers off (I know this from experience- people drop a pin instead of using an actual GPS unit to mark their locations, and this can be very inaccurate)- having the coordinates from the exact destination can save a lot of hassle.

As I said, I like the site, but I tried to offer a suggestion that would improve it.

And u need a internet connection and offroad trails not shown!

I use maps.me,best gps app ever,works offline just with the gps signal of your phone and shows even the smallest dirt trails in the woods

20 minutes ago, nikotin said:

And u need a internet connection and offroad trails not shown!

I use maps.me,best gps app ever,works offline just with the gps signal of your phone and shows even the smallest dirt trails in the woods

I've actually got a motorcycle-specific (shock-resistant, waterproof, works with gloves, etc) Garmin Zumo GPS unit for my bike (I often use it in the car as well)- as long as I have the correct coordinates, finding stuff is no problem, and I don't have to rely on my phone or an Internet connection.  It was pretty pricey compared to car-specific units with similar functions, but I've gotten a lot of use out of it.

1 hour ago, flare said:

I've actually got a motorcycle-specific (shock-resistant, waterproof, works with gloves, etc) Garmin Zumo GPS unit for my bike (I often use it in the car as well)- as long as I have the correct coordinates, finding stuff is no problem, and I don't have to rely on my phone or an Internet connection.  It was pretty pricey compared to car-specific units with similar functions, but I've gotten a lot of use out of it.

But u had to buy something....everybody has a phone...and the app works great and is for free...

1 hour ago, nikotin said:

But u had to buy something....everybody has a phone...and the app works great and is for free...

It's kind of like using your phone as a camera- it's adequate for the job, but a dedicated camera takes better pictures- a dedicated GPS unit works better than a phone for navigation, though of course you can use your phone as well.  Having used both my phone and my Garmin, I'll always choose the Garmin.

For long motorcycle rides, I always use my Garmin Zumo. It has a larger screen than my phone, has more information than my phone, and when hooked up to the computer, can be pre-loaded with route information making even complicated directions flow smoothly, with verbal directions fed directly into my helmet speakers. Great when riding back roads at night!

This site gives me a few more options for when the urge to ride comes. I appreciate the effort that went into it.

Actually a decent site to begin planning a ride for people new to Lanna Land.

I never use GPS, don't have any problem getting a bit disoriented, or getting a bit lost, or riding up some road where I end up turning around.  That is half the joy of riding.

I find the online maps to be of limited value. The small roads don't show up at larger scale, only when you are already close.  Far better to use the gt-rider maps.

4 hours ago, Johpa said:

I never use GPS, don't have any problem getting a bit disoriented, or getting a bit lost, or riding up some road where I end up turning around.  That is half the joy of riding.

It is... except at 8pm in the pouring rain,  when you've been in the saddle since morning and you're trying to find the damn hotel in a strange city. Nothing like hearing; "turn left in 100 meters. Hotel California is 50 meters on the right" play through your speakers.  When bike touring in Europe, especially in the Alps regions where you might cross into three countries in one afternoon's ride, it's nice to know that you are one the correct side of a mountain pass that closes for the night.

What's a 'gt rider map'?  

A series of maps put out by 'Golden Triangle Rider,' perhaps the very best maps made for S.E. Asia riding. David Unkovich, the name behind GT Rider, has made very detailed maps specifically for motorcycle riding, and hosts a website for riders at https://www.gt-rider.com/

THIS is THE rider information place for Thailand and Cambodia, as well as Vietnam, Malaysia, and Laos.

4 hours ago, jobin said:

What's a 'gt rider map'?  

Some yrs back Pontiac offered a great muscle car called the GT, not seen one in ages. I doubt Johpa is talking about old cars.

It was a GTO to be precise.  And they were fantastic. 

9 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Great when riding back roads at night!

Good job staying alive FG.  I've often thought it would be great to ride out for some stargazing in the sticks if not for vehicles without lights, road hazards, wandering animals, etc. etc. 

I do not have a GPS or a smart phone and use an old Nokia, that needs to be charged every 5-6 days.

When I do a motorbike tour, I look up everything I need to know on my computer at home and if necessary, I write important things onto a piece of paper.

Just like in the good old days. It's  easy enough, isn't it.

https://touringthailandblog.wordpress.com/

Edited by Beng

• 2 weeks later...