Spar set to join retail fray with 300 convenience stores in Thailand

Spar set to join retail fray with 300 convenience stores in Thailand

By The Nation

efcac2a0303967eab787ef0731fa616a.png

SPAR International, one of the world’s largest food retail voluntary chains, has partnered with DHL Supply Chain and the Bangchak Retail Company (BCR) to establish up to 300 new convenience stores in Thailand by the end of 2020.

The deal will see DHL Supply Chain support Spar’s expansion plans with end-to-end transport, distribution and warehousing services across Thailand. BCR will provide the front-end store infrastructure for the Dutch retailer.

Spar’s supply chain will use the DHL Bangna Logistics Campus for ambient warehousing and distribution, and its Klong Prapa warehouse for handling frozen goods.

The infrastructure at DHL Supply Chain will support Spar’s quality standards with a range of features including CCTV systems, automatic fire protection, and temperature-controlled warehousing.

Both warehouses will be managed by WMOS, a warehouse management platform, to maintain levels of inventory accuracy and productivity in line with Spar’s global best practices

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30320551

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-7-12

46 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

Good to have competition. 

Yes and they have some stuff familiar from Germany on the shelves :smile: (they are well represented in southern Germany and Austria).

One small mart was opened north of Khon Kaen at a new Bangchak filling station.

I visited the shop recently and took some snaps.

20170705_074130.jpg

20170705_074239.jpg

Seen one one the highway from Korat to Bangkok in May. Can't be that much news. 

When they were still doing big business in Germany some 25 years ago they were among the upper end of the price scale, so don't get too excited folks.

3 hours ago, wump said:

Seen one one the highway from Korat to Bangkok in May. Can't be that much news. 

When they were still doing big business in Germany some 25 years ago they were among the upper end of the price scale, so don't get too excited folks.

That was, as you say, 25 years ago.

But, convenience shops are about convenience, price is secondary.

15 hours ago, Thechook said:

Just what Thailand needs, more convenience stores.  You have 7/11 ' s every 50 metres or so, can always squeeze another such store in.

What amazes me is that in quite a few places, I have seen a 7/11 franchise opened up directly opposite another.  You'd think they could find a piece of land further away!  Even 100 metres would be better.

Thai business sense at its best.

19 hours ago, Moti24 said:

What amazes me is that in quite a few places, I have seen a 7/11 franchise opened up directly opposite another.  You'd think they could find a piece of land further away!  Even 100 metres would be better.

There has been a thread about this. Not about "Thainess" but mostly economics. In many areas a store can only have a certain size and can only handle x amount of customers a day. Since staff is paid a pittance anyway (the equivalent of 6 bottles of beer a day) sometimes it really does make sense to open a shop directly across the road when the turnover in shop 1 has reached maximum capacity.

On a side note: Sometimes headquarters lets independent franchisees test the waters in some areas and then CP (owner of the franchise in Thailand) comes along and opens another 7-11 right next to the other one. But I think these cases are a lot fewer than the first scenario.

Edited by wump

On 7/13/2017 at 10:59 AM, Moti24 said:

I believe 7/11's business model in Thailand places a limit on net revenues. If a store begins to exceed that limit, another 7/11 may be allowed into the same area. Good for the national franchise holder, maybe not so great for the next local sub-franchise holder.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So what kind of stuff are they selling?

Why would anyone want to shop there?

I just went there once to buy a bottle of water and looked like any other mini mart. Mentioned it as some posters above seemed to be excited about the arrival of spar in thailand.

23 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I believe 7/11's business model in Thailand places a limit on net revenues. If a store begins to exceed that limit, another 7/11 may be allowed into the same area. Good for the national franchise holder, maybe not so great for the next local sub-franchise holder.

Ah , that might explain why way up north in Maechan a year ago there was one 7/11 now we have 3.