TOT 200/80 & Huawei HG8245

terak

I have just started to subscribe to TOT's 200/80 service. They provided me with a modem Huawei HG8245 & although I am not having too many issues I wondered if a better router would help with a few small issues I am having. Some pages do not respond as quick as others, call quallity sometimes goes patchy. 

I am not an IT expert or even close so any help is appreciated.

If an ISP-based speedtest of the Huawei HG8245 router shows its throughput matches your subscription speeds of 200/80 then any issues are most likely beyond the boundaries of your ISP. 

"Some pages do not respond as quick as others, call quallity sometimes goes patchy."

Webpage 'rendering' can be affected by many factors, even on high-speed connections.

Your computer connection to your router (Ethernet vs WiFi) 

DNS resolver congestion

Website weight (amount and size of graphic and scripts)

Upstream Gateway congestion

International Gateway congestion

ISP peering and routing (near and far) 

Connecting to one website may be drastically different than another.

You can try experimenting to improve some of these, 

• Connect via Ethernet cable, or upgrade to an 'AC' certified WiFi connection. If you have a poor connection it may be forcing data traffic to be resent, causing delays, buffering, stream glitches.
  • Change your DNS host:  Download GRCs Domain Name speed benchmark and see who provides the quickest most reliable DNS name to IP resolve services.  Some ISPs host dozens of DNS servers, or maybe a 'peer' resolves even quicker.
  • Try different browsers (and enable or disable browser extensions).

If you still want to replace your 'modem', your choices will be limited. Your ISP may only allow 'their' equipment as the connecting gateway. But some will allow the router to be placed into Bridge/Bit Mode (so it's only doing the Optical-Ethernet conversion) and you can then connect a higher-spec router to provide your devices with Internet connections.

I've got the same problem 

My true Fibre connection appears fast using fake speed testing benchmarks I can get 135/38MB

But how come pages load faster on my phone when I switch to a   weak 4g signal? 

It isn't the router as far as I can tell.... 

Can be Difficult to open ports too... 

If you’re using a WIFI connection with the router you should check the channel the router is using. For example I have 4 people around my house also having WIFI enabled routers that all use channel 6, with my house in the middle if I use channel 6 on my WIFI router it will result in me having a very bad internet connection…

With modern routers you can select channels from 1 to 11, you can download a small app for your smartphone called “WIFI Analyser” which will tell you which WIFI channels the routers around you are using. Select a channel that has no users is the best, but the lowest will also work…

To add to what @Richard-BKK posted about WiFi Channel congestion, there are only 3 non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11) on the standard WiFi 2.4GHz Band. Once you have the "WiFi Analyser" app running, look for a channel with the lowest competing signal level, then set your WiFi Router web configuration setting to use that channel.

IF you have connecting devices that are capable of using the 5/5.8GHz WiFi Band, you may want to look at getting a 802.11ac dual-band (2.4 & 5.8 GHz) WiFi Access Point. The 5/5.8GHz band is far less congested, offers more non-overlapping channels, and higher speeds with only slightly shorter signal coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived