trains from Chiang Mai, late?

Loaded

Perhaps its very hard to understand for some, but there is NO fixed delay timing. it can be anything, but chances that it will be (nearly) on time are very, very slim indeed. Delays of 1/2/3/4/5 hrs can all happen without any prewarning, complete cancellation too, though very rare.

The BUSes are nearly always on time-tipically to arr Mochit by 5.00/5.30, whatever time of dept. the eve before.

There is also more as just 1 overnight train. The latest from CM mostly arr BKK around noon.

There is only one set of tracks that have to accommodate train traffic flowing in both directions.  The further you travel, the more iffy your arrival time.  
It's a crap shoot.  Assume it will not be on time.  

12 hours ago, asanee said:

Perhaps its very hard to understand for some, but there is NO fixed delay timing. it can be anything, but chances that it will be (nearly) on time are very, very slim indeed. Delays of 1/2/3/4/5 hrs can all happen without any prewarning, complete cancellation too, though very rare.

The BUSes are nearly always on time-tipically to arr Mochit by 5.00/5.30, whatever time of dept. the eve before.

There is also more as just 1 overnight train. The latest from CM mostly arr BKK around noon.

I feel much safer on the train than on a bus.   It didn't matter that a recent trip was about 20 minutes late.

Also, take something to eat.  The Thai meals on the train are not really farang food!

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why not take the plane? Not much more expensive, is comfortable, takes a tenth of the time and is almost certain to arrive on time.

Because some people are masochists.......

You say, "to HuaLomphong," and that may be what you need to do. I prefer to get off at BangSeu, then catch the MRT to Sukhumvit. This is meant as a tip for those going that way. Also, if you're in a sleeper car, take some warm PJs. They keep the temperature at 21 overnight.

In five or six trips, I've never had an overnight train from CM arrive in Bangkok less than 30 minutes late, usually closer to an hour.  As another poster noted, in the morning, a lot of trains are competing for limited track.

Do the overnight trains from Chiang Mai to Hua Lamphong still arrive 2 hours late?

I have an appointment which I can easily reach if the train is on time.

Take a train 2 hours earlier then you will arrive on time at Hua Lamphong. Problem solved. Thread closed, next topic.

On 14/07/2017 at 7:42 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Why not take the plane? Not much more expensive, is comfortable, takes a tenth of the time and is almost certain to arrive on time.

Becaue then you miss out on travelling the scenic route and being able to travel in style like a Baller.

Edited by bbi1