Hardcore price hikes on flights online to bkk

Rc2702

On 7/14/2017 at 3:02 PM, chris455 said:

Cheap 'last minute fares'?? That's something i have almost never experienced. Usually book at least 2-3 months in advance for cheap deals, and travel during the travelling season, or pay more for travelling at the wrong times!

I often get better pricing when booking within day of the flight than I get booking months in advance.  Last month, I had an emergency to China, causing me to burn my scheduled tickets in favor of a flight that night.  I booked a flight for 40% less than my scheduled trip that I had booked a month before.  And I shopped for that scheduled flight- with flex dates and everything.  

Go figure...  It's happened several times.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

I often get better pricing when booking within day of the flight than I get booking months in advance.  Last month, I had an emergency to China, causing me to burn my scheduled tickets in favor of a flight that night.  I booked a flight for 40% less than my scheduled trip that I had booked a month before.  And I shopped for that scheduled flight- with flex dates and everything.  

Never been so with me.

Best deals 1-3 month in advance. Come closer to the deadline, they PUMP up the prices, because they know your options are becoming more limited, they are trained businessmen after all.

You must be just damn lucky. Maybe they operate fare pricing differently from the rest of the World?

Edited by chris455

1 minute ago, chris455 said:

Never been so with me.

Best deals 1-3 month in advance. Come closer to the deadline, they PUMP up the prices, because they know your options are becoming more limited, they are trained businessmen after all.

You must be just damn lucky. Maybe they operate fare pricing differently from the rest of the World?

You're forgetting that, closer to flight time, they have a much better idea how empty the flight will be than they did several months in advance.  I can imagine an algorithm that says we have a half empty flight and only a day or so to fill it.  We can jack up the price and they'll choose a different airline, or we can fill the seats at a lower fare.

I may have been desperate, or may have just been bored and out kicking tires.  In fact, 90% of the time that's exactly what I'm doing- looking for something to do at a great price. 

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

You're forgetting that, closer to flight time, they have a much better idea how empty the flight will be than they did several months in advance.  I can imagine an algorithm that says we have a half empty flight and only a day or so to fill it.  We can jack up the price and they'll choose a different airline, or we can fill the seats at a lower fare.

I may have been desperate, or may have just been bored and out kicking tires.  In fact, 90% of the time that's exactly what I'm doing- looking for something to do at a great price. 

Hmmm.....

You're also forgetting that ' Some' Airlines may not do that because then people would learn this trick and wait to the very last minute! That probably explains why there seems less 'last minute deals', like there were years ago! It couldn't last!

Perhaps less appealing travel destinations are more likely to do as you suggest.

Who knows?

Youre safer to book a good fare in advance than to chance it to last, where you are screwed if the prices get pushed up.

Edited by chris455

39 minutes ago, impulse said:

I did a test like this several years ago.  I passed on a super low fare which was 4-5 months in advance.  2 months in advance it was up 40%.  I bought then and watched the price go up from there.  Followed it all the way from there until the day of the flight.  It was a full flight.  Not an empty seat. 

But yes, sometimes you can get a good deal, and sometimes you'll get screwed. LOL

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Followed it all the way from there until the day of the flight.  It was a full flight.  Not an empty seat. 

I got a full row to myself to stretch out on.  Which may explain why the last hour fare was pretty good.

Overall, I do believe booking months in advance is the best bet.  Most airlines nowadays are getting real good at filling their planes.  But it's not a universal. 

Why wouldn't they want to get as many seats filled last minute?  That is pure profit assuming the fixed costs are covered.   Not everyone can make travel plans last minute.  

12 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Why wouldn't they want to get as many seats filled last minute?  That is pure profit assuming the fixed costs are covered.   Not everyone can make travel plans last minute.  

I think Chris455 nailed it when he predicted people would learn the tricks and wait until the last minute.  I remember when you could fly standby for a much reduced fare.  I think too many people were doing just that (and back then you could make a reservation without a credit card, and even under a fake name- ask me how I know that...)

I never wait until the last minute deliberately, but have often been pleasantly surprised when I did have an emergency come up.  Can't say I've ever done it "back home" though.

Interestingly my son was checking long haul flight prices for next year via skyscanner. He asked to be kept updated on cost. 

Two days later he received an email urging him to buy as the price had risen by $57! 

He checked the actual airline webpage to discover the price had not altered. 

Beware ! 

5 hours ago, impulse said:

I got a full row to myself to stretch out on.  Which may explain why the last hour fare was pretty good.

Overall, I do believe booking months in advance is the best bet.  Most airlines nowadays are getting real good at filling their planes.  But it's not a universal. 

We just did RT to Milan. Half full going there. Packed on the way back! 5555

On 7/14/2017 at 4:42 AM, psyvolt said:

This myth has been debunked that many times it surprises me it's still been spread.

Not only does it not make any sense, but it's simply not true.

Agreed i do not belive it is true and i book flights very frequently.

It sounds like the OP will be travelling from UK and flights will always be more expensive (advance booked or not) for July and August, the most expensive period will be mid July to mid August. The fact it is low season in Thailand appears to be irrelevant.  There is no way of escaping this.

Skyscanner is the site i always use as a guide as it includes most of the budget carriers and comes up with an array of combined options to get to destination. Don't rely 100 per cent on this though it doesn't find every option and with initiative you could probably still find cheaper options yourself, especially if overnight stopovers at a destination on route are an adventure for you and not a burden.

Edited by rogeroc

6 hours ago, Elkski said:

I detect a bit of a return to cheap last minute prices. I guess the Airlines have a real balancing job to do considering both the potentially conflicting desires to get early bookings and also fill all the seats. A couple of years ago i would have said 3 month advance booking was optimum, i definitely think less than that now.

I am a bit surprised some Airlines don't test a fixed price system for all. It can be awkward to sit next to a fellow passenger when one has paid 5 or 6 times more than the other !

Well since this thread began I have took a deep dive into pricing of flights and £596 thai airways is by far the best deal.

Unless a two leg trip over 16 hours comes up for £396 that's the best option at present.

16 hours ago, Elkski said:

Just to point out that, since there are some marginal-costs, the extra fare would not be pure profit.

Examples of those costs would include :-

*  passenger-handling charges & taxes on-departure & arrival

*  hold-luggage handling-charges on-departure & arrival

*  fuel-burn for carrying the extra weight (luggage & pax)

*  cost of meal(s)

If you are flying from any country that July and August are peak holiday times like the UK you have to be aware mum, dad and two kids have been booking these flights since September the year before. A lot of seats are then sold in January which is a peak month for selling holiday flights for those who have no choice but to travel during the summer school holidays. Waiting for a bargain flight or even a reasonable priced flight at the last minute for this period is gamble you will nearly always lose. 

The next dates for cheaper flights are around 20 August onwards with exception of dates near the end of Aug or beginning of September( this is the rush to get back for school) . Sept and Oct may have the lowest airfares of the year for UK to Thailand and booking close to departure may be easy.

33 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Waiting for a bargain flight or even a reasonable priced flight at the last minute for this period is gamble you will nearly always lose. 

I don't agree with people who say that high season in the UK means that flights to places like Thailand will be high because of that!

I believe that prices rise at these times because there is much LESS demand to travel to Thailand during it's worse weather season. Most people use Thailand as a 'winter sun' destination, and travel mostly January to March. That's when flights are cheapest due to competition.

Basically if you travel in the wrong season you will be punished with higher fares, for doing so. That is because there is very little demand, compared to the peak months of Jan to March, therefore prices rise.

Whilst you can take chances with late bookings Jan to March, due to the fierce competition, you will still need to book no later than 3 weeks in advance to secure still cheap flights. However, during July/August, your chances have greatly diminished amongst the poor selection of much higher fares. Therefore unless you are happy to miss travelling at that time, get whichever fare you can afford, lest the next fare is even worse!

Edited by chris455

2 hours ago, chris455 said:

I don't agree with people who say that high season in the UK means that flights to places like Thailand will be high because of that!

I believe that prices rise at these times because there is much LESS demand to travel to Thailand during it's worse weather season. Most people use Thailand as a 'winter sun' destination, and travel mostly January to March. That's when flights are cheapest due to competition.

Basically if you travel in the wrong season you will be punished with higher fares, for doing so. That is because there is very little demand, compared to the peak months of Jan to March, therefore prices rise.

Whilst you can take chances with late bookings Jan to March, due to the fierce competition, you will still need to book no later than 3 weeks in advance to secure still cheap flights. However, during July/August, your chances have greatly diminished amongst the poor selection of much higher fares. Therefore unless you are happy to miss travelling at that time, get whichever fare you can afford, lest the next fare is even worse!

Just about everything you say is completely wrong. From the UK the lowest airfares(of the year) and best time to be booking late is May June Sept and Oct. Demand is lower and the weather is the hot season or the rainy season. With the lower demand at these times, with your logic you say you have to pay a higher price because you are travelling in the "wrong" season but the reality is the the prices are lower.

When you get to July and August this is the peak travel time at UK, European and USA airports. The busiest time of the year for passenger numbers. The most take offs and landings in one day will happen on some weekend dates in this period. Records may be broken. It's still the rainy season in Thailand but the airfares are higher in this period and many Brits and Europeans will take holiday in Thailand because that's the only period they can get sufficient time off work. It will cause a jump in demand. 

38 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Just about everything you say is completely wrong. From the UK the lowest airfares(of the year) and best time to be booking late is May June Sept and Oct. Demand is lower and the weather is the hot season or the rainy season. With the lower demand at these times, with your logic you say you have to pay a higher price because you are travelling in the "wrong" season but the reality is the the prices are lower.

When you get to July and August this is the peak travel time at UK, European and USA airports. The busiest time of the year for passenger numbers. The most take offs and landings in one day will happen on some weekend dates in this period. Records may be broken. It's still the rainy season in Thailand but the airfares are higher in this period and many Brits and Europeans will take holiday in Thailand because that's the only period they can get sufficient time off work. It will cause a jump in demand. 

There were no cheap flights to Thailand June., and you'll find plenty cheap flights oct nov dev jan feb march, if u book in advance.

I stand by my words.

5 hours ago, chris455 said:

i agree with CNXBKKMAN i simply dont think what you say is correct. Prices in the UK for flights and holidays (wherever you go) are hiked up in the school summer holidays. That is our punishment for having kids !

23 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Well since this thread began I have took a deep dive into pricing of flights and £596 thai airways is by far the best deal.

Unless a two leg trip over 16 hours comes up for £396 that's the best option at present.

Please book it and we can put a :mfr_closed1: sign on this 'which is the high/low season flight price' topic :coffee1:

Edited by Boycie

25 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Please book it and we can put a :mfr_closed1: sign on this 'which is the high/low season flight price' topic :coffee1:

Just don't bother opening this thread again instead of trying to Police it ! The title is 'hardcore price hikes.

Edited by rogeroc

21 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Just don't bother opening this thread again instead of trying to Police it ! The title is 'hardcore price hikes.

I do apologise it should of read, that this thread has becone 'which is the high/low season flight price' topic.

The OP asked... 'I use farecompare.com anyone got good site for low cost fairs?'

Many replies to help with different websites and no thanks. When asked for more info to try and find them a better price, no more information provided.

Rant over....wheres the 'unfollow this topic' link?

8 hours ago, chris455 said:

There were no cheap flights to Thailand June., and you'll find plenty cheap flights oct nov dev jan feb march, if u book in advance.

I stand by my words.

These were available mid May.

Mid May.JPG

31 minutes ago, chris455 said:

Cheap fares for how long 30 days?

I have no idea, as it was months ago. Either way, there was a lot of cheap flights for June from Europe. Cheap flights July and August from the UK and Europe are more difficult to find.

13 hours ago, chris455 said:

Italians for instance would go to Koh Samui in August, as well as families. Perhaps they go somewhere else now it's overrun.

http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/koh-samui-august/

10 hours ago, JamJar said:

I have no idea, as it was months ago. Either way, there was a lot of cheap flights for June from Europe. Cheap flights July and August from the UK and Europe are more difficult to find.

yea, just to refresh, we're talking about last minute cheapies. Yes we all know you can get cheap flights in june, in advance.

15 hours ago, chris455 said:

yea, just to refresh, we're talking about last minute cheapies. Yes we all know you can get cheap flights in june, in advance.

Are you confused???

Look again;

In #53, it shows flights for mid-May and June, that were available for purchase in mid-May. Is that 'last minute' enough for you?

In #54

On 2017-7-14 at 9:02 AM, chris455 said:

Cheap 'last minute fares'?? That's something i have almost never experienced. Usually book at least 2-3 months in advance for cheap deals, and travel during the travelling season, or pay more for travelling at the wrong times!

There were no cheap flights to Thailand June., and you'll find plenty cheap flights oct nov dev jan feb march, if u book in advance. I stand by my words.

Never been so with me.

Try to remember what you actually write.

The truth is more complicated than your simple algorithm.

If it were that simple, there would be no last minute cheapies, but then I already have illustrated that they do happen.

Of course not available to all, as if everyone paid the same price, the system would not work and they would have to adapt it.

You again are quite wrong with your high season/low season hypothesis. If it were true then that three week period from before Christmas and coming back the first week of January would have similar prices to the rest of the year.

The reason why they don't is that they adjust the price to what the market can withstand.

Public holidays are priced accordingly. Nothing to do with the weather in Thailand. Airlines don't lay off their schedules in July and August and then reinstate them from September onwards.

Then know when children have their school holidays and know that their parents are a captive audience.

Chinese New Year, they don't withdraw their flights at the time in order to create a scarce resource.

It's a complicated business. But if you have a wide overview, you can sometime get around these things.