Where should we live?

We have decided to live in Thailand from January to May, 2018.  I am hoping to get input regarding which town we will fit in best.   Here are some relevant thoughts.  Warning:  we are just starting our research so please excuse any ignorance I reveal.

·      We prefer a town or village to a city (maybe with a population range between 2,000 – 15,0000).  Best option would be one that is within a couple hours of a city that would be large enough to provide for most modern needs.

·      We prefer that town to be predominately Thai, not Tourist.  However, we would appreciate an ex-pat presence since we don't speak the language or know the culture.

·      Cost of living is also a consideration.  We would like to pay local prices not jacked up tourist prices.

·      We love the ocean, but while stuck on land we hate high temperatures (85 f) and higher and high humidity.  Are the only mountainous villages in the north?

·      We plan on chartering a catamaran a couple of times out of Dream Yacht Charter where we have a relationship (located near Phuket airport, or Langkawi, Malaysia).  All else being equal, we would choose the town closest to their base.

·      If we end up living far away from the charter base, what is the bus service in Thailand like?  Would we go crazy on a 20 hour bus ride?  What do national airline flights cost?

·      We prefer laid-back and casual to night-life and fancy.

·      We love nature.

·      We're in our 50s.

Please feel free to keep the thread going or send us a private message.  Any input will be helpful.

6 hours ago, Vonnegute said:

We have decided to live in Thailand from January to May, 2018.  I am hoping to get input regarding which town we will fit in best.   Here are some relevant thoughts.  Warning:  we are just starting our research so please excuse any ignorance I reveal.

·      We prefer a town or village to a city (maybe with a population range between 2,000 – 15,0000).  Best option would be one that is within a couple hours of a city that would be large enough to provide for most modern needs.

·      We prefer that town to be predominately Thai, not Tourist.  However, we would appreciate an ex-pat presence since we don't speak the language or know the culture.

An unusual decision if you dont know the country or speak the language. I suspect that unless you stay somewhere where there are quite a lot of foreigners you will be spending most of your time learning to speak Thai. Small Thai towns in particular would drive me over the edge of insanity in no time and I could not really consider living anywhere less touristy than, say, Hua Hin which is probably the most sedate of the main Thai beach resorts catering to foreigners.

If you want to be cool then you need to think about the northern mountains, and these are about as far from Phuket as you can get and still be in Thailand.

If you want to be near Phuket/Langkawi then perhaps the less busy parts of Phuket away from the main tourist areas would suit you? Or somewhere between Phuket and Ranong? Though none of those are going to be very cool.

Other options might be the eastern coast outside of Pattaya. The beaches beyond Rayong perhaps, or between Pattaya and Rayong. Even Bang Saen though it gets very busy with Thais at weekends. Anywhere like that is only an hour or so drive to decent sized tourist areas for shopping and home comforts (Bangkok, Pattaya). Though all are hot and humid rather than cool.

You would probably find most of what you are looking for staying at one of the quieter locations at Phuket. Thailand near the ocean is often 85F plus and high humidity. You will have to strike a balance between some of your requirements, its either tourists, costs and services OR mostly Thai people, cheaper, less services. Consider that a predominately Thai village, you cant even read the menu at a restaurant. 

You are starting your trip right in the middle of high season for most beach areas so prices will be up and accommodations down. Domestic air travel is well priced but again goes up and booked out in high season.

I will stay in different places. I will start out in Phetchabun which is cool that time of year (Jan) and about 4 or 5 hour drive from Bkk. From here you can explore Loei, Esaan and the Phetchabun mountain areas. Then I would go to Mae Hong Son town which gives you an opportunity to see another part of the country. That bring you to March and I would then go to the Trang area south. That time of year it is hot everywhere in the country but the sea will cool you down. Last but not least you must end the holiday with a stay on an island and for that I would go to Koh Chang or one of the surrounding islands. 

6 hours ago, Vonnegute said:

We prefer a town or village to a city (maybe with a population range between 2,000 – 15,0000).  Best option would be one that is within a couple hours of a city that would be large enough to provide for most modern needs.

The more I think about this the more it seems to me that somewhere near or even in Hua Hin might be suitable. There are several quite nice beach areas mostly to the south of Hua Hin and with a small foreigner contingent (Prachuap Kiri Khan for example), and Hua Hin itself has most things that a foreigner would need. Not too far from Phuket, and Bangkok is accessible also by both bus and train though it is probably too far for a day trip.

The entire area is pretty sedate and quiet, as I mentioned, and there are several national parks and attractive hilly areas.

Hi Von - Just re-read this - will you only be here for a total of 4 months - that would more qualify as a visit and likely prompt a different answer than if you were coming to live here... 

You might enjoy the north for mountains, nature, hilltribe people, different culture - and yes, flights to the beach can be inexpensive...

If for 4 months, the north might be nice for Jan Feb, but March can have an air quality problem and it might be better to move to a beach - Mid March to Mid May is also hot season... 

Its just a big holiday? Any tourist spot will do. 

Livinghere? i would say head to myanmar. More developed perhaps....? Might even have a real police force by now.

If i didnt marry, invest and have family i wouldnt live here. My family counts down to every oppertunity we get to go elsewhere.

Look at Thai smile to get some airfares.  You can fly from CM to Phuket direct.   I have only spent 55 days on Thailand so I'm not one to advise you but if you don't like humidity and above 85 I don't see how your going to like Thailand other than Dec Jan.  I base this on reading historical temps. 

It seems obvious that you need to spend a hundred hours reading about Thailand.   

12 hours ago, Vonnegute said:

We plan on chartering a catamaran a couple of times out of Dream Yacht Charter where we have a relationship (located near Phuket airport, or Langkawi, Malaysia).  All else being equal, we would choose the town closest to their base.

Vonnegute, Welcome to ThaiVisa Forum.
Seem like you shall look at the mainland next to Phuket. You can probably find what you are looking for right there, and being close to the Dream Yacht Charter base. Down look further down South close to the Malaysian border, as the provinces there unfortunately are troubled.

The best advise I can give you is to book a trip to Thailand, head for the Phuket area – i.e. for example Surat Thani (East side) and do investigating excursions from there, or Krabi (West side); both cities mentioned because of airports, so you can fly directly – spend a few days each area or place you find of interest, to feel the atmosphere and check the local environment. And also check upon how the places of interest are during monsoon raining season – which is different time on the East coast compared to the West coast – as some area's infrastructure are not well geared for the heavy tropical rain that sometime come; Wikipedia can be a help when checking weather conditions, for example Surat Thani.

PS: I live at Samui, an island on the East side, and the Southern weather is perfect, never too hot, neither too cold; lots of sunny days, but also some heavy rain during the monsoon season, which is not a problem, if one is aware of it. Both Phuket and Samui will be too tourist-style for you, based on your opening post, but there are many really nice places on the mainland, to my knowledge also beaches, and more affordable than in a dedicated tourist destination.

Wish you good luck with your plans for the future...

:smile:

Don't know where you're coming from but I suggest early December to end March for the best weather, not so humid and cheaper flights from UK prior to Dec 10/11th. April / May can be very hot, humid and wet.

If you want a laid back predominantly local experience try Old Town area of Koh Lanta Yai in the Krabi area. You have access to some decent restaurants around the island and Krabi Town on the mainland. Also a short speedboat trip to reach Phuket  or Langkawi for your yacht charter trips. Green, decent beaches, undeveloped / unspoilt, reasonable prices. Easy drive to Ao Nang, Trang, Phuket, Surat Thani / Samui.

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The more I think about this the more it seems to me that somewhere near or even in Hua Hin might be suitable. There are several quite nice beach areas mostly to the south of Hua Hin and with a small foreigner contingent (Prachuap Kiri Khan for example), and Hua Hin itself has most things that a foreigner would need. Not too far from Phuket, and Bangkok is accessible also by both bus and train though it is probably too far for a day trip.

The entire area is pretty sedate and quiet, as I mentioned, and there are several national parks and attractive hilly areas.

My first thought was Prachuap Kiri Khan. 

15 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

I will stay in different places. I will start out in Phetchabun which is cool that time of year (Jan) and about 4 or 5 hour drive from Bkk. From here you can explore Loei, Esaan and the Phetchabun mountain areas. Then I would go to Mae Hong Son town which gives you an opportunity to see another part of the country. That bring you to March and I would then go to the Trang area south. That time of year it is hot everywhere in the country but the sea will cool you down. Last but not least you must end the holiday with a stay on an island and for that I would go to Koh Chang or one of the surrounding islands. 

Take heed of this OP........ V Good advice . Especially for the Temps and Time o the Year.  Don't worry about paying "Tourist Prices", prices will increase as soon as they see a "Fallang"....lol

If you are just here on a double entry tourist visa, don't speak the lingo and have never been before, the Thais will know as soon as they see you that they are dealing with tourists, so forget advice about avoiding tourist prices.  All non Thais pay x5+ to visit National Parks etc.

If you want mountains, jungle and sailing then you will only be staying in hotels over a 3-4 months stay. If you plan to stay a month in one place you might get a discount, but you need to haggle, and they might ask for a deposit.

Read Lonely Planet etc and stick to the top end recommendations since you must have some money.

Enjoy the holiday, as you are not really coming to "live here".

PS. Fly if you can don't get the tour buses from place to place.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

12 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

If you are just here on a double entry tourist visa, don't speak the lingo and have never been before, the Thais will know as soon as they see you that they are dealing with tourists, so forget advice about avoiding tourist prices.  All non Thais pay x5+ to visit National Parks etc.

If you want mountains, jungle and sailing then you will only be staying in hotels over a 3-4 months stay. If you plan to stay a month in one place you might get a discount, but you need to haggle, and they might ask for a deposit.

Read Lonely Planet etc and stick to the top end recommendations since you must have some money.

Enjoy the holiday, as you are not really coming to "live here".

PS. Fly if you can don't get the tour buses from place to place.

More or less exactly what I said in the post before yours lol

We have owned a two bed, two bathroom air conditioned condo at ChaAm, just north of HuaHin for four years and really like the place. It's on the beach, about five minutes drive into the town proper and has three pools in fantastic gardens. It never gets busy so it's always quiet and peaceful. Because my wife has some health issues we have excellent medical facilities in HuaHin. We can get into Bangkok in around two+ hours by a very good bus service. There is also a slower train service and a small expat community in the town. We rent out the condo when not there.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, spindoctor said:

We have owned a two bed, two bathroom air conditioned condo at ChaAm, just north of HuaHin for four years and really like the place. It's on the beach, about five minutes drive into the town proper and has three pools in fantastic gardens. It never gets busy so it's always quiet and peaceful. Because my wife has some health issues we have excellent medical facilities in HuaHin. We can get into Bangkok in around two+ hours by a very good bus service. There is also a slower train service and a small expat community in the town. We rent out the condo when not there.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Only here for 4 months and traveling around plus a sailing trip!

It's a long holiday not a move.

If he was really coming to live given his preferences Hua Him would be great. I am thinking of moving there myself in a couple of years if they don't mess with the retirement visa regulations. I have friends that live there now. Enjoy.

To the OP,  you have money obviously, just have a good time.