Major Sukhumvit roadwork ahead near tunnel in Pattaya

webfact

Major Sukhumvit roadwork ahead near tunnel

By Jetsada Homklin

1250_n2act.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The Department of Rural Roads will take about two weeks to dig up Sukhumvit Road and stop ground water from bubbling to the surface.

The Department of Rural Roads will take about two weeks to dig up Sukhumvit Road and stop ground water from bubbling to the surface.

A section of Sukhumvit near the entrance to the Redemptorist Vocational School has subsided due to underground water washing away the foundation of the busy thoroughfare. Locals complain the area is always wet, even when it hasn’t rained for days.

Somchai Panpao, architect and advisor to Central Road bypass tunnel project, said the water leakage is natural and was not caused by tunnel work nor broken pipes. Pattaya is not far above sea level and ground water is bubbling to the surface.

Full story: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/major-sukhumvit-roadwork-ahead-near-tunnel-180609

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-07-14

Lol.

Another case of "they knew about it beforehand and did nothing now have to dig up the new roadway to fix the old problem then redo the roadway" again.

Just like what happened on Soi Boonsamphan/Khao Noi. They resurfaced the road and made a nice clean, smooth surface and almost immediately people started digging it up and laying new water pipes and sewer pipes and who knows what else, then doing a craptastic job of filling in the holes afterwards. Now that section from the railway bypass up to the Mike Orchid Villa area is one big nasty mess of uneven/broken pavement, pot holes and protrusions.

Just like one village where the city (well, the contractors hired by the city) came in and did a great job of resurfacing the roads. The smooth and groovy asphalt was barely 2 months old when the Province decided to install new water lines and meters so naturally they had to dig trenches in that shiny new surface, down every little street and to each house. Trenches which in some cases were barely deep enough to cover the new pipes and then had a thin coat of normal concrete slapped on top, which, of course, started cracking and flaking within days in some cases. I mean sheesh, they knew they were going to put those pipes in long before the roads were due to be resurfaced (we'd been told it was going to happen months in advance). They could have dug up the old road surface, laid and covered the new pipes and then did the resurfacing which would have left us with unblemished sois and water pipes that weren't in danger of being crushed every time someone parks a car/truck near their house.

Som nom na as I'm told. 

I guess we'll see in 2 weeks what kind of "patch" job gets done and then it will probably just be a matter of (very little) time before they have to go back, tear it up and do it all over again ! Som nom na !

47 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Lol.

Another case of "they knew about it beforehand and did nothing now have to dig up the new roadway to fix the old problem then redo the roadway" again.

Just like what happened on Soi Boonsamphan/Khao Noi. They resurfaced the road and made a nice clean, smooth surface and almost immediately people started digging it up and laying new water pipes and sewer pipes and who knows what else, then doing a craptastic job of filling in the holes afterwards. Now that section from the railway bypass up to the Mike Orchid Villa area is one big nasty mess of uneven/broken pavement, pot holes and protrusions.

Just like one village where the city (well, the contractors hired by the city) came in and did a great job of resurfacing the roads. The smooth and groovy asphalt was barely 2 months old when the Province decided to install new water lines and meters so naturally they had to dig trenches in that shiny new surface, down every little street and to each house. Trenches which in some cases were barely deep enough to cover the new pipes and then had a thin coat of normal concrete slapped on top, which, of course, started cracking and flaking within days in some cases. I mean sheesh, they knew they were going to put those pipes in long before the roads were due to be resurfaced (we'd been told it was going to happen months in advance). They could have dug up the old road surface, laid and covered the new pipes and then did the resurfacing which would have left us with unblemished sois and water pipes that weren't in danger of being crushed every time someone parks a car/truck near their house.

Som nom na as I'm told. 

I guess we'll see in 2 weeks what kind of "patch" job gets done and then it will probably just be a matter of (very little) time before they have to go back, tear it up and do it all over again ! Som nom na !

I recall 2001 or maybe it was 2002 when they re-did Pattaya Klang.

They dug down 5 feet or so to put in a new foundation (I guess?) and resurfaced it with cement.

Barely two months later they were out there with jackhammers and tunneling machines installing water pipes.

15 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Lol.

Som nom na as I'm told. 

An unwillingness to take responsibility for planning and iterfaces with other parties is par for the course here and elsewhere in Asia

not long after i first moved to pattaya some 12yrs ago, a friend asked his wife why they have to repair the same road every year instead of doing it properly the first time.  She turned and looked at him like he was the biggest idiot on the earth, and said, if they do it right the first time then they wont have work next year.