Supreme Court jails former police officer 2 years for bribing constitutional court judge

webfact

Supreme Court jails former police officer 2 years for bribing constitutional court judge

By Thai PBS

criminal-court.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The over 10 years long  trial of the much controversial court bribery case arrived at its final episode today (July 14) when the Supreme Court sentenced a former police officer to two years in prison with no suspension after finding him guilty of attempting to bribe a Constitutional Court judge to rule in favour of the former Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) in 2006.

TRT faced dissolution by the Constitutional Court for frauds in the general election and the former police officer attempted twice to offer 30 million baht to a judge to rule in favour of TRT.

At the hearing of the final verdict read at the Criminal Court today, the Supreme Court said the former officer Pol Lt Col Charnchai Netiratthakarn, a former superintendent of Pho Kaew police station in Sampran district of Nakhon Pathom, was guilty of trying to bribe ML Krairirk Kasmsan twice by offering him 30 million baht.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/supreme-court-jails-former-police-officer-2-years-prison-bribing-constitutional-court-judge/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-14

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, robblok said:

I would like to know it too. Plus that i find it strange that they are not looking higher up.. the 30 million has to come from someone.. 

Guess where the money comes from ?

Just now, rkidlad said:

All meaningless unless it's done for the right reasons. 

You can be corrupt but he can't. Just more money and power for the ones who are above the law. I wanna see an unbiased law that applies to all for exactly the right reasons - it's against the law. 

Me too I want to see unbiased law.. but in the meanwhile I don't like to see people who break laws get of free. I guess we differ there. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Me too I want to see unbiased law.. but in the meanwhile I don't like to see people who break laws get of free. I guess we differ there. 

Like I said - it's meaningless. He was on the wrong side. If he'd been on the right side, this wouldn't be the case. 

He was corrupt and got caught. Off to prison. Lesson learned? You can be corrupt but you have to support us. 

13 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Like I said - it's meaningless. He was on the wrong side. If he'd been on the right side, this wouldn't be the case. 

He was corrupt and got caught. Off to prison. Lesson learned? You can be corrupt but you have to support us. 

At least that means not everyone can be corrupt..

Just imagine if everyone got away as easy as the red bull guy how deadly the roads would be because there are no consequences. Now at least some people obey the law. Prefer everyone.. but its better then the alternative. So enforcing partly is still better than no enforcement. 

Edited by robblok

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just imagine if everyone got away as easy as the red bull guy how deadly the roads would be because there are no consequences. Now at least some people obey the law. Prefer everyone.. but its better then the alternative. So enforcing partly is still better than no enforcement. 

Mushroom pickers watch out. Don't go bribing a judge if you know what's good for you.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Well I very much doubt he would have been prosecuted if the people he was paying the bribe for were in office. Has it ever occurred that the reason so many from "the wrong side" get prosecuted is because "the wrong side" are mainly criminals?

15 hours ago, robblok said:

At least that means not everyone can be corrupt..

It means there's more money and less competition for one side to carry on their corrupt ways. 

10 hours ago, halloween said:

Well I very much doubt he would have been prosecuted if the people he was paying the bribe for were in office. Has it ever occurred that the reason so many from "the wrong side" get prosecuted is because "the wrong side" are mainly criminals?

No, they're all a bunch of crooks. 

It's just one side has immunity and are above reproach. 

Another day; another Thai cop tarnishing the image of the Thai police force and whole judicial process throughout the world.

As a side note, I take back what I said about Pattaya police being scared of the dark.  I witnessed a gang of them 'enforcing the law' at 10pm last night.  Lots of helmetless Thai bike riders zooming about with no lights.  Guess who they pulled in?  Yes you got it in one; two farang women (possibly Russian) complete with helmets.  Another couple of hundred tourists put off coming here when the ladies tell their tale of victimisation and extortion.

22 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Finally, they're making their mark on the crackdown on corruption. Every journey starts with the first.........say what? He was connected 8to the 'Thai rak Thai' party?

Oh, forget it. 

Shinawatra clan no problem he will have a good life just 2 years oh well ta .... shi_ _ _ <deleted>_ _ ...group will proud of him .

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

No, they're all a bunch of crooks. 

It's just one side has immunity and are above reproach. 

It's more like that at the moment one side HASN'T got immunity. "Honest mistakes" and law changes to protect the guilty have gone out of fashion.

22 hours ago, SABloke said:

The fact that the police officer thought he could bribe the judge speaks volumes :mellow:

True - but he was just the errand boy making the delivery. Just following orders.

Just like lawyers delivering pastry boxes.

Hahahahahahahahaha where does a police officer get the 30 million Baht from originally should be the question. 10 long years to hand down a 2 year sentence for High court bribery . Well you could still run for for a generals job now served concurrently I bet 

'Somewhere else' I read that Pol Col Charnchai had 'confessed', ...that he had done it for a certain Khunyin, Pojaman as appeared to be, he 'owed a favour' to.

That while in this quoted, pretty un-detailed, article there is not any reference made to that person... Why would that be...?  

At that time that lady was still the, later to become 'ex-', wife of a certain Thaksin Shinawatra, the 'owner' of the TRT party, when I'm correct.

One wonders why Ms Pojaman has not been charged with active corruption, masterminding this attempted bribing of an active Supreme Court Judge, for 30million Baht, ...and brought in front of a Court since.

That this case has taken over 10years to reach a final ruling, will probably have no link with some statue of limitation...

N.B.: This case is not that of the attorneys caught taking donut boxes full of cash, it's another crime(!) though committed for a same 'master'...

3 hours ago, halloween said:

It's more like that at the moment one side HASN'T got immunity. "Honest mistakes" and law changes to protect the guilty have gone out of fashion.

Don't drink the cool aid. Nothing good ever came from being told to put your trust into something that can't be questioned or debated. 

4 hours ago, The Teacher said:

Hahahahahahahahaha where does a police officer get the 30 million Baht from originally should be the question. 10 long years to hand down a 2 year sentence for High court bribery . Well you could still run for for a generals job now served concurrently I bet 

'The Teacher': Welcome! Allow me to ask you to read my post ID:23 from one hour after yours. It might bring you to other ideas. Mind you, not your fault, as the article served to the TV community was, well, 'quite brief', and did, for some reason, avoid to even brush the core of this dirty, political(!), case. I would much appreciate to read your personal reaction on this, apparently being a 'newbee' here, you could bring some welcome fresh air to the forum. 

Edited by bangrak

Off course, it would be an effective tactic to get a damning topic off the 'frontpage' not to post any reaction on it, after about one hour it'd be gone, to page 2, ignored by many a TV reader only watching the most recent news.

Though, as well organised as the followers of a certain political clan might be, I doubt this would be the case, but, still I wonder where Eric Low, Prbkk, Yellowstone, and the other members of their cohort might well be today. All having a day-off or what? 'No comment', really? That bad?

9 hours ago, bangrak said:

'Somewhere else' I read that Pol Col Charnchai had 'confessed', ...that he had done it for a certain Khunyin, Pojaman as appeared to be, he 'owed a favour' to.

That while in this quoted, pretty un-detailed, article there is not any reference made to that person... Why would that be...?  

At that time that lady was still the, later to become 'ex-', wife of a certain Thaksin Shinawatra, the 'owner' of the TRT party, when I'm correct.

One wonders why Ms Pojaman has not been charged with active corruption, masterminding this attempted bribing of an active Supreme Court Judge, for 30million Baht, ...and brought in front of a Court since.

That this case has taken over 10years to reach a final ruling, will probably have no link with some statue of limitation...

N.B.: This case is not that of the attorneys caught taking donut boxes full of cash, it's another crime(!) though committed for a same 'master'...

It appears you have not got a handle on the Thai Hierarchy? Or know what a sacrificial lamb is?

I read post ID 21 and 23. I can't understand what you are getting at. If you know a little more enlighten us. There is no need to put down Teacher for having a go, as your replies appear to be smothered in last nights hooch. 

On 7/14/2017 at 9:33 PM, halloween said:

Looked at objectively, it is extremely unlikely that one side is full of criminals whilst the other contains nothing but angels.

It is, on the other hand, all but certain that the judicial system is thoroughly corrupted?

Question is, why can't you see the simple truth?

What motivates the blindness?