bringing a 16'' bike made in Thailand TO Thailand, import duty tax?

andreww

Folks, 

While travelling overseas i've got my kiddo a bike and planning to bring it back to Thailand with us. I'd assume customs officers would want to charge me a duty upon entry, but the trick is -- the bike is made in Thailand and it is clearly stated on the box. Will it be a reason to waive the duty? I've read somewhere that items made in ASEAN can be imported tax free, but not sure about 1) bicycles 2) import via airport... 

Cheers

p.s. yes, the bike is 10% more expensive to purchase in Thailand + they do not stock the model we're after... gotta love the globalisation and its mysterious ways.

Whether or not an item is stamped MADE IN THAILAND has nothing to do with whether or not import duty/VAT is due when you as a visitor or resident bring it into the country. I have brought several bicycles into Thailand , new and used by the way. Even direct to Chiang Mai where customs is known to be stricter.Never never had a problem with customs over the years until this week at Swampy. I believe there is a organized fleecing drive in effect. I'd be sure the bike is used and get an old box from your LBS.

Archived