Medical Insurance

carlsimp

You need only inpatient cover, with any insurance company there will be a variety of plans and those including outpatient cover will be about double. Make sure you are selecting IPD only.

Some plans offer deductible options which will further reduce premium costs.

However even with all this, medical insurance does cost, especially for older people...

It is my single biggest annual expense.

Just now, Sheryl said:

However even with all this, medical insurance does cost, especially for older people...

It is also true that some elderly people are being priced out of the market having held insurance policies for years. 

I am personally aware of two such people and all they can afford is really not worth having once the exclusions, co-pays etc are accounted for.

There was (unless I am dreaming) a suggestion made at one time that the Thai government would provide low cost insurance to elderly ex pats but that idea seems to have gone away? 

On 16/07/2017 at 6:57 PM, perthperson said:

It is also true that some elderly people are being priced out of the market having held insurance policies for years. 

I am personally aware of two such people and all they can afford is really not worth having once the exclusions, co-pays etc are accounted for.

There was (unless I am dreaming) a suggestion made at one time that the Thai government would provide low cost insurance to elderly ex pats but that idea seems to have gone away? 

Why the hell would the Thai Gov provide "low cost insurance to the elderly expats" or to any expats at all? If they would, why wouldn't they give it to all expats? Or if they would give it to any expats, why would they give it to the ones who are going to end up costing the most in medical fees due to their age?

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Why the hell would the Thai Gov provide "low cost insurance to the elderly expats" or to any expats at all? If they would, why wouldn't they give it to all expats? Or if they would give it to any expats, why would they give it to the ones who are going to end up costing the most in medical fees due to their age?

Because....... if an insurance company can make money out of then perhaps the government could as well.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Because....... if an insurance company can make money out of then perhaps the government could as well.

Then the Gov would offer a policy for every expat out there and make money out of all of us, young & old.

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Some observations first of all the existing system is costing the Thai government

Many older people as individuals find insurance unacceptably high

If a government scheme were put in place at sensible cost, which it could be expats would be happy to pay

the Thai government makes some money and eliminates the financial drain

Win Win Win, no losers

I rather like the outcome

9 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Now THAT would be a good idea......

I always have good ideas. Since you like that idea I am accepting recommendations to be the next Prime Minister. You are very welcomed to start a petition and get it signed by as many people as possible and submit it to the relevant people in power.

10 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I always have good ideas. Since you like that idea I am accepting recommendations to be the next Prime Minister. You are very welcomed to start a petition and get it signed by as many people as possible and submit it to the relevant people in power.

Self elected I presume, but of course

May I enquire do you have a hidden Private Army, it make s the process easier

There is a precedent for that here in Thailand

Yes even if self elected I might support you so long as you agree to allow me to create an insurance scheme for foreigners health insurance

I wonder if I could become as rich as Thaksin, simply from medical insurance

7 minutes ago, al007 said:

Self elected I presume, but of course

May I enquire do you have a hidden Private Army, it make s the process easier

Absolutely! They are so hidden and invisible that you will never see it with your bare eyes.

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Are you in partnership with Yinluck with all that rice?

Oh I wish, I need to be careful as does that lady you mention, I am a great admirer of hers

We need to remember we are on the medical insurance topic, Do you think this lady can assist us

14 hours ago, al007 said:

Some observations first of all the existing system is costing the Thai government

Many older people as individuals find insurance unacceptably high

If a government scheme were put in place at sensible cost, which it could be expats would be happy to pay

the Thai government makes some money and eliminates the financial drain

Win Win Win, no losers

I rather like the outcome

Older individuals find insurance premiums high because the risk is high.

Sensible cost for whom? You mean affordable to the older expats?

In that case the Thai government will not be making any money.

Repatriation insurance is also an option, has to be concluded before the age of 65 however.

My insurance will go up from ฿11 000 -ish  to ฿15 154 in December and I will likely be obliged to stop paying even this relatively cheap insurance.

https://www.thaihealth.co.th/product_simply_eng.php

Companies will guarantee you that you can continue on their plan to a high age but they forget to mention (very small print) that they can adjust premiums or cancel the insurance at any time.

On 16/07/2017 at 9:11 AM, tonray said:

What do you consider expensive ? What is your age ?

Hi

expensive!! i would say over £300 i know it can be costly to get medical insurance, but i would not live there without it, i did have an accident once on a MB taxi a car hit us in Pattaya, 2 weeks in hospital with a broken leg over 600,000 baht bill, bkk hospital very good by the way. luckily i had 90 day holiday insurance so i was covered but the longest i can find in uk is 120 day holiday insurance. I  will be spending at least 6 months at a time. I am 48.

33 minutes ago, carlsimp said:

Hi

expensive!! i would say over £300 i know it can be costly to get medical insurance, but i would not live there without it, i did have an accident once on a MB taxi a car hit us in Pattaya, 2 weeks in hospital with a broken leg over 600,000 baht bill, bkk hospital very good by the way. luckily i had 90 day holiday insurance so i was covered but the longest i can find in uk is 120 day holiday insurance. I  will be spending at least 6 months at a time. I am 48.

You can find a good coverage policy at age 48 for far less than that in Thailand. You can explore various coverages here :

http://bupa.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/individual/index.aspx#.WXYEiIR97bg

4 hours ago, tonray said:

You can find a good coverage policy at age 48 for far less than that in Thailand. You can explore various coverages here :

http://bupa.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/individual/index.aspx#.WXYEiIR97bg

Thanks for that. but for some reason i cant go on thst site Norton stopping me. Not just your link i searched bupa thailand same result. Norton says malicious site. Will try again later