Thai National to UK tourist visa rejected

14 minutes ago, turnipandchips said:

Do you think she and my GF maybe had an argument during the interview and she isn't telling me. haha

well we all know what girls are like mainly when they see red!!!!.:cheesy:...but on the whole, I find her treatment quite unfair as UK immigration could always check at the give adress after 60 days if she has left or not...not very fair! Hope it get's sorted out for you both!

Edited by observer90210

The main trick imho is to give UKVI all of the information they need so they don't have to call anybody.

Requesting one month when the employer says everything it needs to say on headed notepaper etc will probably not get a phone call. It's a reasonable amount of time for a holiday and the ECO probably won't need to check that her boss can afford to lose her for two months.

The date thing between August and the 3rd September in the refusal letter seems really churlish to me but it backs up my feeling that UKVI are nitpicking far more now.

Remove that minor discrepancy and it was the two month request that meant that the application was refused.

On my wife's first VV I gave my wife a list of the questions that she was likely to be asked with the answers on a sheet of A4 paper. Family names, dates we met, places we had visited, my home address etc etc. Stuff that she did know but might be forgotten when called.

If she'd had a call she had all of the info to hand.

1 hour ago, bobrussell said:

I am a little confused as you stated that you were introduced 'last Christmas'. It would seem it was the Christmas before.

I cannot see anything that should stop a further application being successful as long as it is well presented and not at odds with what your girl friend said on the phone.

You met briefly at Christmas but started to converse on Facebook when she told them you did. This was followed up by a visit in September. Overall not that different to the account apparently given on the phone.

This must be sorted in full and your girl friend must know the actual dates. Back these up with passport entry stamps etc.

Being vague will get you nowhere with UKVI. They need to tick boxes and for this they need clear and accurate answers.

If she has land in Thailand then this should be documented but not relied upon. It shows ties with Thailand but not a reason to return as such. A house, job etc paints a better picture of a settled life that she will return to.

I don't see a two month break from a long held job to be impossible to get round especially if the business owner is western. The absence must be backed up by the employer. 'X is a valued and long standing member of staff (Y years) and I can spare her for this time because ....'. A bit difficult to backtrack to a month absence if he/she has already authorised a two month leave of absence. A UKVI staff member is likely to phone the employer to check!

These are not uncommon rejection reasons and can be worked on.

Nothing wrong with putting a few photos at the back of an application to be looked at or ignored. Just refer to them in the covering letter. I suspect they got so fed up with pages of photos documenting a life in full!

Yes we meet very briefly in April 15, then again Xmas 15, I forgot to mention the first meeting in my covering letter but the GF did during the call. it was literally a quick hello the first time. She has a small amount of land and a motorbike and that's about it, and no children...So on paper she doesn't have much to return to, but did submit this information with the application.

I'm now thinking an improved letter from her boss stating that she has worked for him for 11 years and due to her loyalty is why she is being allowed 2 months off plus being very clear on the dates should suffice, as you say now shortening the visit to 1 month could now go against her too.

She actually worked for a visa agency many years ago, so has a reasonable understanding of the process, she quoted to me the dates I visited in September the other night.

3 minutes ago, turnipandchips said:

Yes we meet very briefly in April 15, then again Xmas 15, I forgot to mention the first meeting in my covering letter but the GF did during the call. it was literally a quick hello the first time. She has a small amount of land and a motorbike and that's about it, and no children...So on paper she doesn't have much to return to, but did submit this information with the application.

I'm now thinking an improved letter from her boss stating that she has worked for him for 11 years and due to her loyalty is why she is being allowed 2 months off plus being very clear on the dates should suffice, as you say now shortening the visit to 1 month could now go against her too.

She actually worked for a visa agency many years ago, so has a reasonable understanding of the process, she quoted to me the dates I visited in September the other night.

I disagree with you in persisting with the two month request. I think that shortening the visa time to one month removes the main reason for the refusal in the first place. Why would it "go against her?". As I pointed out in an earlier post, it's ok if she stays for two months even if she requested one month, as long as you have a valid reason for her staying longer. You will need to explain why in the next application.

My wife was laid off for her job while she was away because of the flooding and the general downturn in business in the hotel where she worked. We requested a month and she stayed 18 weeks. In her next visit visa I explained what had happened and that I was financially supporting her by that time and a two year VV was granted without a problem. On that VV she requested six weeks and she stayed 14 weeks. Her second VV actually overlapped the first by 12 days. The first ran out just before Christmas on the 12th December and the second started on the 1st December.

7 hours ago, darren1971 said:

My Thai gf is awaiting an answer to her visa application too, she was also quizzed over the phone about dates of our relationship and got them all wrong, I'm expecting a refusal also but will just address the reasons and apply again.... Don't give up and it appears you put together a fairly solid application anyway so don't waste money on an agent unless you really feel you want to. One thing I have learned over 4 tourist visa applications now is that is sometimes better not to include specific details on certain subjects unless you really have too...I put in my supporting letter that I have one daughter from a previous relationship and included her name, my thai gf was quizzed on this and really there was no need for me to include her name. The more opportunities they have to trip up your gf on the phone the worse in my opinion.

You are right. Give them the minimum info needed but make sure you explain and supply sufficient info! The biggest tangle people have got in that I have seen with failed applications is where an applicant's finances are concerned. Bank statements, salary and stuffing money into a bank account to make it look as if they doing better than they are. The first thing an ECO wants to know is where the money has come from...

I think the main reason for the refusal is in the paragraph

21 hours ago, turnipandchips said:

On 29/06/17 you were interviewed in connection with your application, you stated during interview that you first met your boyfriend in August 2016. You later amended that statement to say that you first met him some 2 years before that. That it was in fact 2015 that you first met him. But that you first started seeing each other (as boyfriend/girlfriend) in August 2016. The endorsements in your sponsors passport indicate that he was not in Thailand in August 2016. But that he entered on 3rd September 2016. I find it strange that you would be so unsure about an important event in your life.

This confusion and the discrepancies over what she said on the phone and you said in your letter need to be adequately addressed and explained for any future application to succeed. 

21 hours ago, turnipandchips said:

I note that you have submitted an employment letter which indicates that you have been granted two months leave of absence from your employment as a receptionist, It would appear to me that your employer is able to dispense with your services for a period of two months. Then your continued presence in Thailand is not essential to the running of their business.

ECOs are aware that most employed Thais receive very little holiday. For example my stepson and his wife both work for banks; they are visiting us in August for just 10 days because this is all the annual leave they receive!

The wording of this paragraph leads me to surmise that the ECO simply tacked it on, having already decided to refuse.

Did they contact her employer at all?

But, as suggested above, next time her employer should say why they are prepared to grant such an exceptional, for Thailand, leave of absence.

• Like 1