Visa for Viet Nam

:)

Seems there are differences in various ways for Americans as compared with other nationalities. Can someone tell me the procedures for Americans applying for a visa at the Bangkok embassy, or a phone number for the embassy that a person will answer?

Phone numbers I've tried but have had no luck with are:

• 02-251-3552 - from the embassy's website. Rings but nobody answers
  • 02-251-7202 - from the embassy's website. Gets you a lady's voice message. Says to use extension 116, which will ring, but then a man's voice recording says, "Sorry, lines busy. Thank you."
  • 02-650-8979 - The lady's voice message gives this phone number.
  • 02-251-5838 - from the website. Cuts off without ringing.  

Any or all of these would be great:

• the costs involved 
  • how long it takes to get the visa 
  • how long the visa is valid 
  • can (or must!) I use a service? 

This page at the embassy's website is somewhat helpful. It says, 

- Tourist Visas: Prior arrangements with Viet Nam's agencies are required and to be paid. As a rule, these agencies have to contact Viet Nam's Immigration Department for tourist visas. Seems like you need to use a service, but I'd rather be certain. It also says how much visas for various lengths of stay cost. Also, the website has an online form you can fill out, and need to finish in 15 minutes! Well, I'm not ready to fill out a form so I didn't. There is no other information regarding applying for a visa that I could find on the website. 

Any help at all would be appreciated

I take it you are wanting to go to Vietnam from Thailand. Am I correct?  if so you don't got the US Embassy you go to the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok just down the road from the US Embassy.  Procedure is simple and all on the Vietnan Embassy website. Or you can fly to Vietnam and get an "on arrival" visa.  I believe yo pay more for  the "on arrival" but can't remember.  If you got the Vietnam Embassy you turn in paperwork morning get it back afternoon.

http://www.vietnameseembassy.org/vietnam+visa.html

Edited by Mrjlh
added link

20 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Could always try it online, this is the actual immigration department website, not an agency;

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

Now ... this is interesting. Thanks :) This is for a single-entry visa, they cost US$25. I've seen that a 1-year visa costs US$135. Wonder if I can get a 3-month using this online process. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I will go there to work for 1 year. 

18 minutes ago, Mrjlh said:

I take it you are wanting to go to Vietnam from Thailand. Am I correct?  if so you don't got the US Embassy you go to the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok just down the road from the US Embassy. 

Procedure is simple and all on the Vietnan Embassy website. Or you can fly to Vietnam and get an "on arrival" visa.  I believe yo pay more for  the "on arrival" but can't remember.  If you got the Vietnam Embassy you turn in paperwork morning get it back afternoon.

http://www.vietnameseembassy.org/vietnam+visa.html

Yes, I'm aware that I need to go to the VN embassy.

Please realize that this link is not to the VN embassy's website. The disclaimer at the bottom says so. And, the copyright is from 2013 so maybe this is an old website. I've seen 1 or 2 other websites like this. Sure looks convenient :) And, since they offer multiple entry visas, and for more than just one month, these are interesting sites :) 

I've seen something elsewhere about the visa on arrival. I'll have to look into that again.

I've seen posts on TV about all this VN visa stuff. But the latest was, if I'm not mistaken, from January of this year. Most was from last year, so I'd like to see more recent info. 

I'm way down in Hat Yai and getting to BKK just to apply for the visa isn't an option right now. 

Thanks guys

Could always try it online, this is the actual immigration department website, not an agency;

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

Now ... this is interesting. This is for a single-entry visa, they cost US$25. Wonder if I can get a 3-month using this online process.

**Update: nope, a person from this website said this site is only good for 1-month visas.