Castor oil

EricTh

Yeh I too have asked in many shops, 3 department stores, 6 super markets, 7 computer stores, 12 cell phone sellers, 34 nite bazar shops and more and couldn't find it either.

Somebody mentioned that it was sold in some motorcycle shops.

2 hours ago, Bill97 said:

I think they misunderstood you. They thought it is Castrol oil and not Castor oil.They sound the same to Thai.

Castrol oil is an engine oil used for motorbikes, it is the name of a brand.

Castor oil is an oil from a plant.

Edited by EricTh

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:
3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

I think they misunderstood you. They thought it is Castrol oil and not Castol oil.They sound the same to Thai.

Castol oil is an oil from a plant.

Sounds as if some smart Aleck just made a fool of himself.

Love it.

Castrol oil used to be made with Castor oil but don't know if that is the case with current oil of that brand.  Used to call it bean oil and it had a distinctive aroma.

Anyway, I am still looking for Castol oil, any leads?

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

I think they misunderstood you. They thought it is Castrol oil and not Castor oil.They sound the same to Thai.

Castor oil is an oil from a plant.

Not so far out .

copied from wiki.

Castor oil was the preferred lubricant for radial engines, such as the Gnome engine after that engine's widespread adoption for aviation in Europe in 1909. It was used almost universally in radial engined Allied aircraft in World War I. Germany had to make do with inferior ersatz oil (a German term for alternative, substitute, replacement) for its radial engines, which resulted in poor reliability.

13 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

Not so far out .

copied from wiki.

Castor oil was the preferred lubricant for radial engines, such as the Gnome engine after that engine's widespread adoption for aviation in Europe in 1909. It was used almost universally in radial engined Allied aircraft in World War I. Germany had to make do with inferior ersatz oil (a German term for alternative, substitute, replacement) for its radial engines, which resulted in poor reliability.

True about Castor oil.

But before this Wakefield Co who were pioneers in oil development started adding a bit of castor oil to ordinary oil to alter the viscosity,and later changed the name of their product to Castrol,and went on to develop many types of lubes.

Castrol R [Racing] was/is, i believe 100% castor oil and we used to use it in the '60's on racing bikes...the smell of the burnt oil is associated for me as how cars and bikes racing all smelled back in the day.. great!

It can not be mixed with other oils,and is not a 'long life' oil.

With all the tech nowadays that it is not used in modern racing, but you can buy it and classic cars/bikes often run it to add to the nostalgia/smell of the era as it was part of the whole package in the days gone by.

13 minutes ago, happyas said:

True about Castor oil.

But before this Wakefield Co who were pioneers in oil development started adding a bit of castor oil to ordinary oil to alter the viscosity,and later changed the name of their product to Castrol,and went on to develop many types of lubes.

Castrol R [Racing] was/is, i believe 100% castor oil and we used to use it in the '60's on racing bikes...the smell of the burnt oil is associated for me as how cars and bikes racing all smelled back in the day.. great!

It can not be mixed with other oils,and is not a 'long life' oil.

With all the tech nowadays that it is not used in modern racing, but you can buy it and classic cars/bikes often run it to add to the nostalgia/smell of the era as it was part of the whole package in the days gone by.

It will however, make you race to find the HongNam

44 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Presuming you require it for chafing or similar application rather than an an engine additive.

http://www.th.boots.com/en/boots-zinc-castor-oil-cream-300ml-2369095.html#.WW0x6Gz2SUk

Should you require natural oil for other applications http://sariesoap.com/product/pure-castor-oil-50ml/ may be able to advise if they have distributors in Chiang Mai. 

Far too expensive to top up a sump .

10 hours ago, tonray said:

It will however, make you race to find the HongNam

Yes, if you drink the oil..as a kid i remember it was the goods for constipation.

One treatment was all it took..i never ever told my parents again if i was constipated..foul tasting stuff!

The exhaust fumes smell from race vehicles on the other hand is a real treat.

Edited by happyas

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

They thought it is Castrol oil and not Castor oil.

Unlikely that a pharmacist or health food store would think one was asking for motor oil?

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

Castrol oil is an engine oil used for motorbikes,

Castor oil is/was also used in motorcycles. One can still buy it in small motorcycle parts stores. It comes in 60ml bottles. I wouldn't consume it though.

Just to muddy the waters! Castrol A747 is a CASTOR/SYNTHETIC engine oil.

OP take a photograph with you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 11:46 PM, happyas said:

This shop is quite expensive. They sell one 450 ml bottle for around 450 baht.

I managed to find the same quantity at a cheaper price around 200 baht in a shop around warorot market.

It's a huge two shops lot that sells all types of Chinese medicines and herbs.

Pharma Choice in the city center also has it but in a smaller bottle of 60 ml which cost 28 baht.

Edited by EricTh

9 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

And after you read facts above stating you can buy castor oil in motor cycle shops?

I don't see any reference that Castor oil is sold in the average motor cycle shop, and a synthetic based CASTER oil, is definitely not the same as CASTOR oil derived from plants.

Edited by janclaes47

14 hours ago, Nerone said:

Try the pharmacy in front of Mc Cormick hospital. Beware that if you are using it as laxative can gives you side effect, as is a mild poison to the body

I'm using it as external lotion on the small lipomas on my body. I heard it can reduce the size but don't know whether it really works.

Do you have any other recommendations for removing lipomas excluding surgery?

Edited by EricTh

On 7/29/2017 at 8:36 PM, janclaes47 said:

is definitely not the same as CASTOR oil derived from plants.

Oh yes it is. Mostly found in Thailand in little mom and pop type motorcycle spares shops. Also available in radio control aircraft/boat shops but in larger containers .

Interestingly the Safety sheet mentions "Defatting to the skin" 

On 7/29/2017 at 8:36 PM, janclaes47 said:

I don't see any reference that Castor oil is sold in the average motor cycle shop,

Wouldn't ya know. I an attempt to make the forum better they have removed the post numbers. Anyway it is mentioned in my post above.

25 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Oh yes it is. Mostly found in Thailand in little mom and pop type motorcycle spares shops. Also available in radio control aircraft/boat shops but in larger containers .

Interestingly the Safety sheet mentions "Defatting to the skin" 

Wouldn't ya know. I an attempt to make the forum better they have removed the post numbers. Anyway it is mentioned in my post above.

What is mentioned  in that post is that Castrol a747 is available.

Castrol A747 is a CASTOR/SYNTHETIC engine oil specifically designed for use in highly stressed, high performance, 2-stroke engines using premixed fuels

Castor oil is a vegetable oil obtained by pressing the seeds of the castor oil plant (Ricinus communis).[1] The common name "castor oil", from which the plant gets its name, probably comes from its use as a replacement for castoreum, a perfume base made from the dried perineal glands of the beaver

I didn't know they derived semi synthetic oils from plants these days.

You learn something new everyday on this forum.