Nokia N70 Vs N73

Zen

Hi

I'm using the Nokia N70 and I'm not happy with the screen resolution. Even though pictures are nice but the screen is so bad that it makes the pictures look not sharp. My friend uses the Nokia 6280 and the screen is really bright and pictures look sharp. I was wondering if the Nokia N73 has a good screen resolution? Was thinking of changing from N70 to N73....

Anyone has experienced both handsets?

Hi

I'm using the Nokia N70 and I'm not happy with the screen resolution. Even though pictures are nice but the screen is so bad that it makes the pictures look not sharp. My friend uses the Nokia 6280 and the screen is really bright and pictures look sharp. I was wondering if the Nokia N73 has a good screen resolution? Was thinking of changing from N70 to N73....

Anyone has experienced both handsets?

I have the N73 - pictures & screen are a sight to behold. I am a little bit disappointed with the N73's smart phone features which are basically exactly the same as my old 6600s - no improvements in this department at all! It has EDGE over the 6600 - which was the reason I upgraded in the first place, apart from keeping up my gadget cred which is impossible with a 4 year old phone :D but unfortunately it lost the little-known but very useful ability to work as a bluetooth fax modem.

But the screen is truly gorgeous. I don't know what the resolution is, I think about average for that size, but the colors are brilliant, it's bright and easy to see in full sunlight as well. Glossy/reflective. Apparently it also has a light sensor to automatically adjust for ambient light but this feature either doesn't work or works so well that I never noticed it consciously, other than seeing the setting in the preferences.

If you want a great screen, the N73 has the goods. This screen is better than any laptop or phone screen I have seen. 10 out of 10.

PS: Size the image 246x240 pixels in photoshop before uploading to N73. That way they fix exactly in the center area of the screen (status info always takes up top and bottom). Has nothing to do with the topic but it took me forever to figure out so here it is :o

Thanks alot.

I heard also that the N73 is slow when switching between functions, it tends to hang and there is no USB cable??

Have you encountered any problems with the N73?

Switching apps: Yeah that's part of the "no improvements over the 6600" observations: Switching functions is slow. To be technically correct: Switching apps - by pressing and holding the applications menu button - is lightning fast, but the more common action of starting a new application takes a long while. Too long for a phone purchased in 2006, IMHO. I would have expected that kind of stuff to be _fast_.

Say you are starting up the clock, it takes about 3 seconds of blank-screenness until it appears. On the plus side, it's finally a world clock, and a good one at that. Enter any number of cities you want to display the time for, very useful for me.

Same with the camera - takes a good while to load up so that your subject might already have gone.

USB cable is included in the box, as well as stereo headphones, a charger, and as a thougthful extra a charger converter cable that allows one to use older Nokia chargers with the new phone. I bought it at the official Nokia shop to ensure I get the whole package.

Other problems: Nothing major.

I am pretty fussy about usability and this one is as good as any Nokia, which are generally excellent. Minor niggles are the deep screen saver mode which has a tiny flashing blue light on top - this is ok during the day but annoying at night when you want to sleep and the phone is by the bedside. The front camera which will remain unused for the rest of this phone's life - I am not gonna make any video calls so this is a silly feature. Unless you want to use it as hand-mirror. Same for the music capabilities - I have an iPod so I am not going to use this. I tested it once, and everything from the supplied Nokia music sync software to the playback looks like a cheap knock-off of iTunes and iPod, meaning it's almost the same but doesn't work nearly as well and is generally useless.

Ok I should also mention that the included web browser is awesome. For the first time, I can actually browse the web from my phone and it works by and large. They solved the problems stemming from having a very small screen available and the included browser is a good solution.

The fancy map application would be totally awesome if it had any decent maps of thailand. But it doesn't. I was amazed to find that the phone knows exactly where I am but then it showed me somewhere in Phuket, with no street maps or even cities available, so it wasn't too useful. I am sure this will at some point be great though.

I was going to buy a new digital camera and have an old Nokia 5110 GSM model.

It still performs o.k. but realise it will need updating sooner or later.

How do the internet facilites operate ?

What charges are normal on AIS please for a rough idea to use these facilities

I have ADSL on my computer ( ToT ) , not much to complain about personally in my area, very good in fact.

What would i have to do to enable use when i go to the U.K. please. ?

Would you recommend one way or the other on updating ?

I,m a bit apprehensive about the internet side of things as i,m relativly new to the I.T world.

I welcome any advice and would appreciate it.

Last of all the expected cost in Thailand or should i wait till i go to the U.K. ( 399 pounds inclusive )

Thank you in advance and sorry for so many questions.

marshbags :o

N73 is about 19,000 baht in Thailand.

Great camera and great 240 x 320 pixels, 36 x 48 mm display, nothing else compares.

My only bitch would be the very small fonts when in message mode, so far it

is not changeable. :o perhaps later with a new firmware update.

Naka.

Edited by naka

been a nokia fan most of my life but find the features the same as my old nok 6600. like nikster mentioned, same old symbian system that functions extremely slow. paying above 15,000 for a phone is not my idea of worthwhile spending. features wise, i dont find any of the nokia phone appealing. cept for the video quality of the N93.

very happy with a sony ericsson. and shall get the v3i razor soon. seems well priced !

nokias just getting way too expensive. sorry to hijack the thread though

I have an N80 that I'm quite happy with. The camera and controls are awesome. The WiFi works pretty well but the signal range is a lot shorter than with my laptop computer. I chose the N80 because I like the slider design. I actually would have preferred a clam shell but don't like the swivel design. The screen is very good and sharp so that was another reason for my choosing the N80. The call quality is especially good. The music player has better sound quality than I would have believed possible. I have no regrets for choosing this phone.

I now have a Nokia N73 which I am quite happy with, the camera is great as is the sound but the slide for the camera is crap and it sometimes doesn't work.

The phone also can get very slow at times.

I was very pleased with the N80 I had beforehand but I accidentally trod on it and broke the screen, it spent 2 weeks with Nokia being repaired along with new cases all around, when i got it back it was a good as new again, It went haywire 3 times and went back to Nokia every time, they explained that it had a damaged circuit board, Funny because it was fine beforehand (still used it whilst the screen was damaged) IMO they ballsed it up so i sold it sharpish as they said it would go mad again.

Internet on the N80 is miles ahead of the N73 IMO, I'm waiting for the N95 to come then I'm selling it. :o

Not into mobiles in a big way ..cheep and cheerful and as long as they work..etc.. but k wifie has just bought herself a new Nokia N80 (made in Finland) which seems to be a bit of a wizz bang bit of kit and now she is taking orders for her mates n LOS...

Even suggested that she wants to go over there and see the factory....?????

What is it with the Thais?...they seem to love all these things and of course whether its houses,cars or in this case mobile phones...they all gotta be the latest and brand new..... :o

Cant be any ghosts in a phone...are there?...must find out wot 3 G does.....

I now have a Nokia N73 which I am quite happy with, the camera is great as is the sound but the slide for the camera is crap and it sometimes doesn't work.

The phone also can get very slow at times.

I was very pleased with the N80 I had beforehand but I accidentally trod on it and broke the screen, it spent 2 weeks with Nokia being repaired along with new cases all around, when i got it back it was a good as new again, It went haywire 3 times and went back to Nokia every time, they explained that it had a damaged circuit board, Funny because it was fine beforehand (still used it whilst the screen was damaged) IMO they ballsed it up so i sold it sharpish as they said it would go mad again.

Internet on the N80 is miles ahead of the N73 IMO, I'm waiting for the N95 to come then I'm selling it. :D

Is the N80 a lot faster than the N73? Main reason I didn't buy the N80 was because of price and heft - it seemed quite a bit larger than the N73 (fatter). I can put the N73 in my jeans pocket easily, N80 seemed a bit too large for that...

Never had a problem with the camera slide despite the fact that I keep it in my pocket at all times. It slides and turns on/off the camera which is all it needs to do :o

My N80 seemed to stall between applications but eventually recovered even though it seemed to take too long. Even with that, I was happy with the phone. I used Nokia Suite with a USB wire and upgraded the software. It said it was a 66MB download and it must have been because it took a long time to finish. If you do the upgrade be sure to backup your phone files to the memory card or your computer before you start because the upgrade DOES remove everything except the phone numbers from your SIM card. The phone seems to work quite a bit faster now.