Myanmar for 28 days, then back to Thailand - can or not? Alternatives?

Good morning everybody! Does anyone know - is it possible at present to cross to Tachileik via Mae Sai with pre-arranged Maynmar visa, hang around there for 28 days, then enter Thailand again getting a 30-day visa exemption? Russian passport, in it: 3-month Vietnam visa fully used, 30-day stamp obtained in DMK on arrival from VN fully used and closely followed by TR1 obtained in Vientiane (currently on it in Thai, not sure will make extension or not). Prepared to produce 10 000 B and onward ticket. Or shall I arrange another TR1 while in Myanmar and is it possible? If cannot return to Thailand via Tachilek / Mae Sai, are there any options of proceeding to another country like China or Laos from somewhere around there? Don't want to fly from Tachilek to Yangon. Thanks a lot for any hints!

You would not need a visa for Myanmar to cross at Mae Sai. You could cross into Myanmar get a border pass, turn around and come back to get a new visa exempt entry.

They started allowing crossings for a visa exempt entry in January after the rule limiting visa exempt entries to 2 per calendar year at  land border crossing went into effect. But if you are from Russia the rule does not apply to you since your visa exempt entries are from a bilateral agreement.

• Like 2

Thank you very much Ubonjoe!

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could cross into Myanmar get a border pass, turn around and come back to get a new visa exempt entry.

How long can I stay in Myanmar on the border pass? I would rather spend some time there for a change (never been before).

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

the rule limiting visa exempt entries to 2 per calendar year at  land border crossing went into effect. But if you are from Russia the rule does not apply to you since your visa exempt entries are from a bilateral agreement.

Does it imply that I can possibly cross into Thailand by land more than twice in a year?

32 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

How long can I stay in Myanmar on the border pass? I would rather spend some time there for a change (never been before).

(My last trip to Mae Sai/Tachileik was a number of years ago, and the rules are likely now different. However, I suspect it will be similar on the fundamentals.)

If you cross using a border pass, you can stay overnight in Tachileik, However, you are restricted to the immediate vicinity. You cannot explore further inland. If you really want to explore, a visa is required. My recollection is that an e-visa can be used at Mae Sai, but check. You need a visa from the consulate for many land border crossings. Also, at the time I was last there, the Myanmar authorities were still insisting you employed the services of an official guide for onward travel. I doubt that is still required for travel to most places, but parts of Shan state are still unstable, so a guide may well still be insisted upon away from major centres.

• Like 1

You can stay in Tachileik for 14 days on the border pass but you can only stay in the vicinity of the town. I think you may be able to go as far as Kengtung, but at least when I last asked, Myanmar immigration told me you need special permission to do that, and it has to be arranged. You certainly can't go further into Myanmar on the border pass.

Note though that at least a few years ago you could not travel by land through that part of Shan State due to the civil war, so even if you did enter with a full Myanmar visa you would have had to take an internal flight from Tachileik or Kengtung. From Google I think this is still the way.

I have done that border crossing upwards of ten times most recently about six weeks ago. Tachileik is a nice little town and there are a few things of interest like the pagoda. It is very different from Thailand for sure. But if you really wanted to go to Myanmar, it is probably easier once you get your visa just to fly directly, as you would need to be taking an internal flight anyway. There are direct flights from Chiang Mai to Yangon (I'm presuming you are in the north already if talking about that border).

If you cross by land further down at Mae Sot / Myawaddy and have a full visa you can travel by land all the way to Yangon now.

As Joe says, if all you want is another 30 days in Thailand you can just do a border bounce and you can (theoretically) do as many of those as you like, the 2 limit doesn't apply to you. But if you actually wanted to see Myanmar I would suggest you get a visa and fly in. If you fly you can do the eVisa ($50 I think) or there is a consulate in Chiang Mai which is very slightly cheaper (1600THB).

If you are spooked about flying back, you CAN travel back by land via Myawaddy/Mae Sot, it's a long bus ride but it is possible.

Edited by blorg
  • Like 2

I might add, as well, there is an embassy in Yangon if you were flying in so you could also get a 60 day visa there if you liked. And reports are they are easy to deal with.

It is a very interesting country, well worth a visit. Totally different to here, much less developed. Friendly population who really like to meet and talk with foreigners. I have been invited back to people's homes for lunch, to visit a school and talk to the kids, that sort of thing. And they LOVE to talk about politics, which is very unlike most countries in the region.

Edited by blorg
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, blorg said:

If you cross by land further down at Mae Sot / Myawaddy and have a full visa you can travel by land all the way to Yangon now.

25 minutes ago, blorg said:

you CAN travel back by land via Myawaddy/Mae Sot, it's a long bus ride but it is possible.

2 minutes ago, blorg said:

there is an embassy in Yangon if you were flying in so you could also get a 60 day visa there if you liked. And reports are they are easy to deal with.

Thank a lot! All that sounds quite inspiring :)

Do you know what the embassy in Yangon might want to see in suport of visa application?

1 hour ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Does it imply that I can possibly cross into Thailand by land more than twice in a year?

Yes it does according to the rules. But you might be questioned about what you are doing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Do you know what the embassy in Yangon might want to see in suport of visa application?

I have been to Yangon but never applied for a visa there. Reports on the forum vary between (2015) their needing nothing at all beyond money and photos (like Vientiane) to more recently their needing a flight out, so you probably would want to be prepared to have that.

• Like 1

Thai embassy Yangon requires:  http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/en/services/33445-Tourist-Visa.html

Basic Documents required:

1. passport which validity is no less than 6 months

2. visa application form completely filled in

3. 2 recent color photos (3.5x4.5 cm)

4. invitation letter (if any)

5. confirmed round trip air ticket or hotel reservation/accommodation reference (for travelling through border)

6. 40USD visa fee -- we accept only new USD note. good condition. No mark, no scratch

From this I would assume you will get 30 days when you reenter Thailand from any port.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand#30_days_waiver_.286_nations.29

So if I was you I would get the 28 visa and cross to Myanmar. 

• Like 1